Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

help me choose my next car

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM
j0e331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me choose my next car

well just like the title states, im looking for help choosing my next rc and just looking for some input from some experts or people with more experience then me.

a little backround on me, i currently have a traxxas nitro rustler. i been into the hobby for about 2 years now, just a casual driver. no racing or anything. im looking for a new car mainly because of the things i dont like about the rustler.

what i dont like is:
-the turning/ handling sucks. the car flips over so easily. it gets old running after it to flip it back over
-its not water-proof. i wanna be able to have some fun in the snow and mud
-things seem to break pretty easily on it and i dont even abuse the car. never even jumped it
-tires seem to not have much traction, they are practically new also

other then them things the car is fun to mess with ,but im looking for something that can excel in those areas i dont like

so the 2 cars im trying to decide against are the 1/8th HPI WR8 Flux, ken block RTR and the 1/10 LOSI TEN-SCT NITRO 4wd RTR. now i know these rc's are completely different and built for different purposes but they both appeal to me for different reasons. i know theres not much info on them considering they arent available yet either.

the ken block wr8 looks like a fun rally car, but the only thing thats in my mind is its electric. the car looks great too. i know absolutely nothing about electric cars. never owned one, never drove one. and im not sure about HPI's quality on their RTR's. i never seen one in person or even talked to someone who has one. batterys seem expensive and just start-up might be expensive since i have nothing for electric cars

now im not gonna lie, im really really leaning toward the LOSI. the truck looks awesome and i can use it on more types of terrain then the wr8. plus i love nitro. i know more about it then electric and i just love the smell of that fuel. another thing swaying me towards this truck is its made by losi. when i think of losi i think high quality trucks. everyone seems to praise most of their cars and a lot of racers use them. now this is just a vibe i get, is this true? its also bigger then the HPI car which i like. bigger is better right....haha. the truck just seems to be anticipated to be very good from what i been reading. also if i ever decided to race or could even find a race around here, i could compete with this truck

now im just looking for opinions/ help/guidence from some experienced people. maybe some thoughts on either car.....thanks for taking the time to read this and help out. any comments are appreciated
Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: help me choose my next car

might also want to look at ofna's buggy lineup. They are the same size as SCT's, can take royal beatings, are nitro, and there are 2 that are around the $300 price range

BTW electronics in most RC's are NOT waterproof... making receivers waterproof is pretty simple though, BUT you still have to worry about parts rusting, and whatnot.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 PM
j0e331

Ill look into them, thanks

And i know the electronics themselves arent waterproof, they are just in enclosed boxes to keep them dry. I just said waterproof because thats how they are marketed
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Actually, the WR8 Flux is based on the WR8, a Nitro rally car. Alternatively there is the Kyosho DRX Rally Car, Brushless or Nitro.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:05 PM
j0e331

Yea i seen the wr8 at my hobby shop before, never seen one run. From what i read HPI servos arent too good on their RTR kits. Not sure how much truth there is on that. With that being said, its just one of the reasons im leaning more towards the losi
Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: j0e331

Yea i seen the wr8 at my hobby shop before, never seen one run. From what i read HPI servos arent too good on their RTR kits. Not sure how much truth there is on that. With that being said, its just one of the reasons im leaning more towards the losi
not only HPI generally all servos (specially steering) should be replaced out of the box
The steering servo I got on my Jammin X1x CR the steering servo had issues turning the wheels on an electric stampede that had its wheels off the ground. No idea how they expected it to turn a 8lb buggy...
Old 08-02-2012, 05:15 PM
j0e331

Would you think the losi would need its servos replaced? To me it seems like they made the truck ready to race out of the box (to a point), so i get the impression everything would be quality on it, plus its not exactly cheap.... Thats just my impression i get from everything ive read about it. I could be wrong
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM
celica49

stock servos are good for getting used to the car for the most part. After a month or 2 its definitely going to be time to upgrade, no matter what RTR you get. The good news is, good strong upgrade servos are easily found. As I type this, I am seeing an ad for a Hitec HSR-5995TG servo for $70. Thats a hell of a deal for a 333 oz/in at 6.0 volts, .15 transit time, digital, titanium gear servo. 

Heres the link the add takes you to, if you dont see it. http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-5995tg_servo.html
Old 08-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Foxy

You my friend, want a Hyper 7, trust me. You will also need to update the steering servo, but after that you'll be golden.

Can;t be beaten for the price.... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRUS1
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 AM
j0e331

foxy, what are your reasons behind this recommendation? Honestly its not the style of rc im looking for. Im leaning more towards a stadium truck type rc. But im always up for suggestions.

Im sure its hard to answer a lot of these questions seeing as the cars arent released yet. So everything you read is only going to point out the good things on them for marketing id assume. But lets take prior losi and hpi rtr's that are similar to what im looking at.... How do them kits stack up? I just dont want to buy a car im not happy with, which is where i feel i stand with my rustler
Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: j0e331

foxy, what are your reasons behind this recommendation? Honestly its not the style of rc im looking for. Im leaning more towards a stadium truck type rc. But im always up for suggestions.

Im sure its hard to answer a lot of these questions seeing as the cars arent released yet. So everything you read is only going to point out the good things on them for marketing id assume. But lets take prior losi and hpi rtr's that are similar to what im looking at.... How do them kits stack up? I just dont want to buy a car im not happy with, which is where i feel i stand with my rustler
but neither of what you listed are Stadium trucks or near them...
the Losi is a SCT (Short Course Truck)
the wheel base of SCT's are the same as 1/8th buggies...
If you want a stadium truck look at the Bullet ST... its like the only ST I can think of on the market(besides the MT2, but that is on its way out replaced by the bullet).

The buggy was recommended strictly cause you said don't break easy. No one can tell you how durable the HPI will be (But if its like any of their recent ones it will suck, Recon, Trophy line, e10 variants line), or how durable the Losi will be. But the OFNA buggies have been out for a long time, and have shown themselves to be durable.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 AM
j0e331

Im sorry, i meant short course truck in my previous post. Im at work so my mind was somewhere else
Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Foxy

I apologise I only skimmed through the first post and got stuck on nitro and very stable, so my mind immediately went to the Hyper 7, I didn't notice you had expressed interest in a truck type, my bad. The Hyper's a hell of a lot of car for the money though, you have to spend double to get anything better. If you are willing to spend a bit more for a really outstanding car, consider the Associated SC8.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-24GHz-Radio
nitro edition of the BL version which is based off the jammin ,5 CRT pretty good truck. No idea on the electronics they include though as I had a kit
Parts off the Nexx10SC are compatible with it (only real parts difference is the front arms, and front suspension setup between the nexx, and jammin)
On my BL one I've only managed to break an arm, and the steering bell (It was a VERY nasty hit being airborne going 40+ , and my tire clipping a brick prior to landing)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...t-Course-Truck
No clue not seen any real reviews on it

there 2 more options for nitro SCT's
forgot they had nitro variants of those 2
Old 08-03-2012, 01:30 PM
j0e331

i was actually looking at the sc8 last night. the only problem is, its hard to find since its discontinued and so far the cheapest one i found is $740... which is out of my price range. if i was gonna spend that much, i might as well spend a few hundred more and get a 1/5 truck. which is my dream rc. haha

i thinking im gonna go with the losi. i mean there is no such thing as a perfect RTR as far as im concerned, but i feel the losi is gonna be good quality and can handle what im gonna throw at it. another good thing for me is that my local hobby shop actually stocks a lot of parts for losi rc's

i just dont feel im ready to take the electric rc plunge yet, so it looks like the wr8 is out of the picture

and i do like those ofna SCT's, but one thing that puts me off is that my local hobby shop stocks absolutely nothing for them. yea i know i can probably order everything online, but they always hook me up, so i try to direct my business there. also, i hate that wait for the parts to come in and get back out driving. haha

Old 08-03-2012, 04:18 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Team Associated SC10?

I DO own a Losi 810 which shares same parts as original TEN-T (and believe some - if not most of the TEN SCT)...and I LOVE my 810.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 PM
j0e331

I been looking into the sc10's but for some reason it just doesnt appeal to me like the losi. I feel the sc10 is mainly for track use, while i will be hitting some tracks with friends, probably 75% of the use will be off tracks. Plus the losi has more power so i feel that will make it more fun while not on the track

And yes the 810 does share a lot of the parts the ten-sct does. So with that being said, how durable has your 810 been? Any issues with it at all? Im just curious to see how losi's RTR quality is
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Hyper 7 is probably a good call.

You want a real offroader IMO, and not some onroader or rally car. Offroaders are more versatile - grass, pavement, offroad track, beach, dirt, construction site, whatever..

The new Losi nitro 4WD SCT looks awesome.. But the Hyper is probably a more reliable choice - easier to get parts, less stuff on it to go wrong, better on a track, etc..
Old 08-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Foxy

Indeed, 1/10th short course trucks are not great on anything more than smooth and dusty. Even small stones upset them when bashing, unless you set a ton of suspension travel, but then you're gonna be flipping even more than before.

I worry that you were frustrated by the instability of your current truck and are about to buy another car which unless driven very smoothly will also be prone to traction rolling and be flipped over easily by rocks, etc.

You will be pleasantly but profoundly shocked by how well a box stock Hyper 7 handles even pretty rough ground, way way way beyond the capabilities of any SC. The 1/8th buggy is arguably the most evolved class in the hobby, they are great to drive and near indestructible. Give it sone thought, I wouldn't want you to start thinking that every RC needs to be turned over all the time. It's a higher level of performance than the Losi SC in every way, the only thing you sacrifice is the scale appeal. But I completely understand if that's what floats your boat, I love the scale stuff too.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 AM
j0e331

I understand what your saying foxy. I got some time to think considering the losi isnt even out for another 2 weeks then ill probably wait for some reviews to surface... So i got time, im in no hurry.

The thing that frustrates me with my current rc, is that even just driving it in my backyard, which is hardly bumpy and grass, i go to make a turn and the thing just rolls over. You have to turn it so slow or its gonna flip. Its annoying.

A lot of the places i do bash the r/c is pretty smooth. Theres a park up the road from my house with some baseball fields so i think that would be a fun place for the losi and its not bumpy, so i think its will work out good. And i do want something 4wd this time also
Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 AM
HerrSavage

I also think the Losi looks like a lot of fun.. BUT, I think the Hyper would be more reliable, and ultimately more beginner-friendly.. I don't know how reliable the ROSS system is for ex. No big deal - you could dump it..(seems like lots of people did with the Ten-T for ex..) An 8th scale buggy with more part, tire, body, etc.. options though is probably a better call.. As Foxy said, sturdier - not to mention faster - on the track - and most other places as well.. 8th scale buggies don't look as cool as truggies or SC's - but they're pretty awesome to drive. Very agile and fast..
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM
j0e331

The ofna looks cool, dont get me wrong, but my local shop doesnt deal with ofna. So really parts and all that would be much easier for me to get for a losi then that.

For some reason the losi is just really really appealing to me. I feel like i wouldnt be making the wrong choice with that car. But i dont know all the technical stuff (like about servos and whatnot)

I always wanted a short course truck, even back when i bought my rustler. I seen the slayer and wanted that but it was just too much money for me to spend at the time. (im glad i didnt buy it now after they fixed the problems with the slayer pro)

Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 AM
HerrSavage

Fair enough.. Go for it then.. Definitely looks cool..