Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Buying A Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 AM
CJerps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying A Kit

Hey Guys,

I am completley new at this. I have 0 experience in the RC section and as I am starting to have some time on my hands I thought building an RC car would kind of be a fun project for me. I dont know really anything about kits or parts and stuff like that. For my purposes I'd just be building this car to use on the streets in front of my house and parking lots im not looking to become a serious racer. Id like to stay Electric On-Road 1/10 scale. I notice the HB brand and seen that their kits look very nice (the purple grabbed my eye lol). I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on where to start and who are good manufacturers for kits.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 AM
cumquat

Default RE: Buying A Kit

well, you cant talk kits without mentioning tamiya. they were the first "basher" grade company and the only one currently to have more vehicles available as kit than rtr, most other kits on the market are aimed at racers. you say you want an onroad, what are the streets and parking lots like around you? belt driven RCs, especially open belts, are prone to damage due to rocks and other debris getting in between the belts and pulleys. if you are just looking for something simple to get your feet wet with, i recommend the tamiya tt01. a have owned 2 df02's which is a buggy based on the tt01, they are easy to build and maintain and the tt01 has ample aftermarket to modify it for better performance as your skill progresses. it wont be the best handling thing, but if you dont know anything else it cant be that bad. as for what to get with a kit, you need a radio (transmitter and receiver, typically sold together), a servo (small electronic device that allows precise movement. used for steering), an electronic speed control (abbreviated esc) and motor (most tamiya kits come with these. if you want a detailed explanation on what an esc is, just ask) a battery pack (if using the stock esc, a 6 cell nicad or nimh is suggested. i'll cover what battery to get with the esc explanation) and a charger for your battery pack.

you will need a Philips head screwdriver and 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm and 1/16" hex/Allen wrenches. these will be the most common screws encountered in RC (only the philips is needed for the tt01, the 1.5mm wrench is included). most all RCs come with a 4-head nut driver for fastening the wheel nuts and installing the ball studs. super glue or CA glue (basically the same thing) is needed to glue the tires to the rims. silicone glue, commonly known as shoo goo, is what i use to waterproof electronics. if you plan to run in any wet conditions, it's better to be safe than sorry. if you have any other questions, just ask. i dont bite... hard.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 AM
CJerps

thanks for the reply it was super helpful!

the streets and parking lots im in i think would be safe enough to not have any damage done to belts/pulleys. they are pretty clean streets not travelled on alot. I noticed that the Tamiya brand has a lot of kits. I'd prefer to not spend over 400-500 on the kit. And aftermarket is a big thing for me as id like to tune my vehicle. I also want the thing to look good as well and not to sound like a picky guy or anything but id like to have anodized parts on the car as it makes it stand out so much more and thats why i mentioned the Hot Bodies brand. I noticed Tamiya also does this on some of their kits. I will definatley look into the Tamiya brand more now.

Thank you
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JL10e drift, its a roller, it handles well, its durable, its inexpensive, it comes with drift tires and drifts well, but it was originally designed as a top notch racer, only this one has been stripped of it's carbon fiber, which is fine, because its still stiff, and you need not to worry about scratching it up like carbon fiber.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CJerps

thanks for the reply it was super helpful!

the streets and parking lots im in i think would be safe enough to not have any damage done to belts/pulleys. they are pretty clean streets not travelled on alot. I noticed that the Tamiya brand has a lot of kits. I'd prefer to not spend over 400-500 on the kit. And aftermarket is a big thing for me as id like to tune my vehicle. I also want the thing to look good as well and not to sound like a picky guy or anything but id like to have anodized parts on the car as it makes it stand out so much more and thats why i mentioned the Hot Bodies brand. I noticed Tamiya also does this on some of their kits. I will definatley look into the Tamiya brand more now.

Thank you
when you have the body shell on you won't see any of that.
Also after a few runs the anodizing will be scratched up to high hell.
So unless you decided to have it sit on the shelf, never ran don't care much about the anodizing

As for belts unless its a carpet, or a well groomed asphalt that you know is 100% free of pebbles I wouldn't use them. Cause if a pebble gets into the drive chain it will destroy the belt, and potentially the pully with it.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the tt-01, tl-01 or the "M" (front drive) chassis are all availible as kits. They are all fairly easy to build (tamiya's build manuals are awsome) and they are all fun for general street driving. Cant go wrong with any of them really.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

the tt-01, tl-01 or the ''M'' (front drive) chassis are all availible as kits. They are all fairly easy to build (tamiya's build manuals are awsome) and they are all fun for general street driving. Cant go wrong with any of them really.
yeah they are. i've only built the 2 df02's so i dont know about other companies but tamiya has pictures of the screws and pins on the side of the page that are full size, so finding the right screw is very easy. plus the instructions are mostly pictures so you dont need to know the proper name for all the parts to find them and figuring the correct orientation of the parts is made easy.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM
CJerps

thanks for all the replies much appreciated. Im not too sure if im looking to get a drift style car unless its one i can switch back and forth from drifting to racing. that is also a good point that i wont see it when the shell is on it but i dont know it just looks good and i know ill always be doing work on it!! i went on the tamiya website it seems the tl-01 is discontinued. one other question is when i look on the Tamiya website and the tt-01 kits it shows them with a body on them. Are these kits already assembled when i get the package or is it just showing what the body is that comes with the kit?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM
CJerps

i was looking at this one: javascript:mox();
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM
The Mad Modder

Unless it says RTR or preassemble, it's a kit. The one in your link is a kit. The pictures just show what it looks like when assembled. Also, tamiya's prices on their site are generally a good deal higher than if you buy them from a store like, tower hobbies, amain, rc planet, etc. I believe that they do that so they aren't competing with their distributors.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

thanks for all the replies much appreciated. Im not too sure if im looking to get a drift style car unless its one i can switch back and forth from drifting to racing. that is also a good point that i wont see it when the shell is on it but i dont know it just looks good and i know ill always be doing work on it!! i went on the tamiya website it seems the tl-01 is discontinued. one other question is when i look on the Tamiya website and the tt-01 kits it shows them with a body on them. Are these kits already assembled when i get the package or is it just showing what the body is that comes with the kit?
unless they are labeled as RTR or EB(Expert Built) they are kits that require a radio, and servo.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM
CJerps

if im not mistaken and maybe im just looking in the wrong sections but towerhobbies only has like 4 or 5 tamiya kits (for my purposes) and amain has no tamiya kits?? maybe im mistaken though ill keep searching different websites looking for them.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 AM
CJerps

what are you guys' thoughts on the Schumacher Mi1?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...t01e&search=Go

tt01e kits are 2nd half the 1st page and the full 2nd

all 1/10th tamiya kits http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?&C=CAD&V=TAM
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

if you are talking about a shaft driven 4wd onroad, the only real difference between drift and normal running is the tires.

The drift tires are a smooth, semi hard plastic. This reduces the grip and lets the car "slide" with a measure of control.

Simply put back on rubber street tires and it drives like a normal car would.

There are many other things one can do to make a street car into a drift car, but the tires are the main thing.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM
CJerps

What do you guys think of these i found 2 on craigslist and im not sure which one is better!!! They are both for the same price and i dont know much about the lamborghini model i think it is a ta-05 where as the mercedes is a tt-01? Im going to be getting one of these 2 so im just not sure which one to grab yet!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

What do you guys think of these i found 2 on craigslist and im not sure which one is better!!! They are both for the same price and i dont know much about the lamborghini model i think it is a ta-05 where as the mercedes is a tt-01? Im going to be getting one of these 2 so im just not sure which one to grab yet!
the ta-05 is a better chassis.
but what gear to each come with? If the tt-01 is the same price then it may come with better electronics.

are they brushed, or brushless?

the tt-01 is the basic 1st car. simple to work on, parts availible EVERYWHERE. Plenty of upgrades, very durable ect.
Not saying thats not true of the ta-05, but the tt-01 is a more common chassis.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
CJerps

Not sure what they come with...all i know is that they are both brand new in the box. Dont think they come with any extras
Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

the ta-05 is a better chassis.
but what gear to each come with? If the tt-01 is the same price then it may come with better electronics.

are they brushed, or brushless?

the tt-01 is the basic 1st car. simple to work on, parts availible EVERYWHERE. Plenty of upgrades, very durable ect.
Not saying thats not true of the ta-05, but the tt-01 is a more common chassis.
+1
If you are able to afford it, the ta05 would be a better car in terms of performance. Plus, since it's the v2 version(at least that's the one you linked to), it comes with shiny blue aluminum and lay down front shocks.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM
JohnP2

Welcome to "the hobby"!

I am relatively new myself, and it has become a true passion with me - and I hope it does with you.

Do youmind if I ask why you are only looking at electric....or more specifically why you are ruling out nitro? Electric certainly has its advantages and is the current "rage" right now, but I'm curious if there is a specific reason you areruling outnitro. You noted you want a kit, and that you plan on working on the car quite a bit. Nitroadds a whole new dimensionif you like to "tinker". If you are undecided and have any questions about nitro, please ask as there are a lot of nitro-heads on this forum who are happy to answer any questions you might have.

For everyone else -my intent is not to start a nitro vs. electric thread. ;-) We all have our reasons for prefering one over the other. Just curiouswhy the OP, who is new and likes to wrench, isruling out nitro.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Haddi Taha

I can vouch for Tamiya. I have built a tt01e, a df02 and a tb03 from them.

I sold the tt01e and df02 so I can get a thunder tiger mt4 but I kept the tamiya tb03.

In the tb03 is a ezrun 8.5 motor so it goes 36mph lipo on 2s and 55mph on 3s lipo.

The original parts are great. I bought aftermarket spec r diff gears and they gave me hell. Stick to tamiya diffs. Now my tb03 is doing very well, haven't broke parts in a while now and the diffs have no problems.

All the tamiya's I built are easy to build. If you want to go very fast with a tt01e, a few upgrades such as ball bearings and prop shafts will help.

good luck
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCFLH&P=7
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I can vouch for Tamiya. I have built a tt01e, a df02 and a tb03 from them.

I sold the tt01e and df02 so I can get a thunder tiger mt4 but I kept the tamiya tb03.

In the tb03 is a ezrun 8.5 motor so it goes 36mph lipo on 2s and 55mph on 3s lipo.

The original parts are great. I bought aftermarket spec r diff gears and they gave me hell. Stick to tamiya diffs. Now my tb03 is doing very well, haven't broke parts in a while now and the diffs have no problems.

All the tamiya's I built are easy to build. If you want to go very fast with a tt01e, a few upgrades such as ball bearings and prop shafts will help.

good luck
technically you don't even need the prop shaft. I run BL in my DF-02, and TT01e and use the stock shaft with 0 issues so far.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:16 AM
CJerps

I think its decided!! I'll go with the ta-05v2! One other question though is with the ta05 how is it for hop-ups/customization like motors and other parts?? The only thing thats stopping me is the customization level of the tt-01 just so many things you can do but if the ta-05 is almost on the same level i will definatley go with that.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 AM
CJerps

Welcome to "the hobby"! 

I am relatively new myself, and it has become a true passion with me - and I hope it does with you.

Do you mind if I ask why you are only looking at electric....or more specifically why you are ruling out nitro? Electric certainly has its advantages and is the current "rage" right now, but I'm curious if there is a specific reason you are ruling out nitro. You noted you want a kit, and that you plan on working on the car quite a bit. Nitro adds a whole new dimension if you like to "tinker". If you are undecided and have any questions about nitro, please ask as there are a lot of nitro-heads on this forum who are happy to answer any questions you might have.

For everyone else - my intent is not to start a nitro vs. electric thread. ;-)  We all have our reasons for prefering one over the other. Just curious why the OP, who is new and likes to wrench, is ruling out nitro. 

Thanks! 

I have nothing against nitro whatsoever! I just found with my own research i seem to have alot more options when going electric on road cars. im sure eventually when my first car is built i will try out a nitro build!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.