Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is that rust on my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:24 AM
NCWalrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is that rust on my car?

I recently purchased a second-hand HoBao/OFNA Hyper 7 TQ Black and really am having a ton of fun tinkering with it.
Up close I noticed what appears to be surface rust on the Clutch bell I think it's called and exhaust.
Can you refer to the pictures and let me know? If so does this mean the rest of the car could be damaged from improper storage? Should I do a complete tear-down, clean and install rust-free parts where inflicted?
I appreciate your help
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26213.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1814086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85326.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1814087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21455.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1814088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67452.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1814089  
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Is that rust on my car?

That is the exhaust and they aren't really going to rust. It's aluminum. The clutch bell does have some rust on, but it's surface rust so no biggie. Just rub some oil on it and it will come off. Just make sure when you store it, use the proper after run oil in the motor.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 AM
NCWalrus

Im completely disassembling the car now for a total clean/detail then reassembly. 

What should I use to wipe down / re-lube / oil the various parts?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exhaust header probably got some excess fuel or something on it and it's burned onto it. No biggie and you're steel items will rust if run in water,stored in moist places,or even if cleaned with water based products. Still no biggie!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
JohnP2

People use all sorts of things to clean. I personally like TrakPower Speed Wash and then use TrakPower Detailer on most parts. I clean my engine with Dynamite Magnum Force 2 (but any sort of "Nitro" cleaner will be safe. My tires I use Simple Green with warm water. Shell I clean with water and spray windex then wipe it off.

Some people just clean everything with WD 40.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:48 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Yeaaaaaaaah walruses
Old 10-23-2012, 06:25 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont use WD40, it attracts dirt, then the dirt attracts moisture.
To protect ur car use a silicone based dry lube (garage door spray lube), it protects the metal from rust, protects the plastic from UV rays, and if the only thing out that repels dirt, and gives ur car a showroom shine, dont get it on anything rubber tho

All i do to clean my rc cars, is remove the electronics, then sit it in a large baking tray, fill a cup with water & dish soap, and grab a old tooth brush.
Just keep brushing untill its clean then rince with fresh water. If u are carefull u can even do this with out removing the electrnics.
VERY IMPORTANT, if u use water to clean ur RC car, u need to blow of the excess water that collects in the heads of the screws.
If u dont have a air compressor, go to ur local petrol station and use there tyre inflator to blow off the car.
That is the eaisest method I know, most things are found in the average house hold.

If u have a old messy car that u want to completly clean up. Strip it down and and put everything (appart from electronics & motor) in a dishwasher.... works a treat even dryes the parts for ya lol

but honestly there is no point stripping down the hole car just for a bit of rust on the outside of the clutch bell, lol
the only thing that will stop that from happining is a fresh coat of heat proof paint, but as soon as u get a scratch on it it will rust again. u could coat it with dry lube of WD40 but as soon as it heats up it will burn off. oh and aluminium does not rust.

ok im assuming that u want to keep it nice and clean, might be worth getting a small toothbrush size brass wire brush and some metal polish.
The BEST polish I use is Autosol, works a treat on the exhaust. no kidding this stuff is amazing.

Nitro cars are very messy and are neer impossible to keep the motor and around the exhaust & petrol tank clean.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: narwalrus

Yeaaaaaaaah walruses
For you walrus boys

Anyhow, that rust isn't an issue and is common on steel components. You can use a steel wire brush to scrub the surface of the parts and clean them up. A light oil will "polish" them up and add a light protective layer to help prevent future oxidation.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 AM
NCWalrus

I've read a lot of contradicting opinions on using WD-40

And YAAA WALRUSES
Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy way to asses WD40 is to spray some on a peice of plastic, and empty a vaccume bag neer it. it all the dust collects on the oil but not the plastic. U could say without a doubt that spray oil attracts dirt.

then to asses how easy it is to clean try blowing the dust out of the oil with compressed air.

now imagine all these dust particles sticking to ur drive shafts, and they are acting like a very fine sand paper sanding away at the dog bones and drive cups.

And there is a reson that car manifactures dont use oil based lube for window guides and the same goes with garage doors...

just my thoughts anyway. each to there own right?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:42 AM
The_Shark

all this after a little corrosion on a clutch bell???
Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Gilchrist111

Dude rust is not a great problem..i think its come from clutch wire and some time i also suffering these type of problem..firstly clean the surface and after that give the oil of the rust surface which is good for your car...