Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Should I even try RC Cars again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Should I even try RC Cars again?

my Scailer is the most fun car ATM... the kids love it & so does my wife lol
when u have messy kids with a big playroom, its like a crawler track at home lol

Here is my SCX10... all ive done is moved the bumper up and fitted a winch... would love to get some scale accesories but the kids will just pull them off.
Ive got some thing put away for when the kids grow up
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's mine
put a 1/16th scale RPM SCT Light bar on it
also have LED's wired to a remote switch on channel 3
Running a Traxxas XL-5 ESC, and a uhhhh..... I forgot what turn motor its 27, or 35t
screwed a piece of plexiglass in on the right side to make a shelf for the esc(can't be seen with the body on) as I had issues fitting the XL-5 in it otherwise. Also modded a traxxas waterproof RX box to fit where the stock one should be
Also all the LED's I used a glue that coated the leads very well so no moisture would get in.
All I really have to still do is change the resistor(I used a 150 ohm I want to drop it to 47 ohms or maybe just forgo a resistor completely) I used on the LED's as the headlights are a tad too dim for my liking.

still have plans to eventually add in working turn signals, and brake lights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87316.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	1816387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11416.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1816388  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man those look amazing! I think I'll probably have to get myself one! Only thing that worries me is when going trailing through hiking/biking routes, is encountering creatures...man those things that live in woods scare me! I don't know how worried I should be about encountering them though.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:19 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA!!! THOSE won't fit under your bed! Too tall....
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the SCX10 is alittle pricey, but man its a great truck.

So much can be done with it. Gear it up a bit and put on 2.2 tires for the snow or mud....gear it way up with paddle tires for sand, gear it way down for extreme rock crawling...make it look really scale....add a plow...build a trailer...ect.

When you get board of if in one way, swap tires/body/shocks/motor/gearing and make it to a fully different truck to drive!

as you can see in this vid, me and a friend have too much fun with our axials:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8SSKTBYH8k[/youtube]
Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Microz

Hey there. I started this hobby with a rc car. After having the car for awhile I fell bored and went into planes...boy was I hooked on those! I'm now about to get started up in helis as well. The reason I started this thread is to ask: should I try RC cars again? Heres the thing; everytime I try RC Cars, I have so much fun for the first 2 weeks, and then they get shoved under my bed because of boredom. I have about 5 cars all in less than perfect running condition, and I all of a sudden have the urge to try RC cars again. Now this happens frequently to me. I always end up shoving my cars under the bed, but then a couple months later I suddenly feel like driving them again, but I know that even if I go through the trouble to drop money into them to bring them up to running conditions, I'm just going to be bored again after another 2 weeks. Do you guys think I should even try RC cars again? I'm thinking that I should just ignore it since it goes away after a bit.
I did the exact same thing, I have two glow planes now and I got interested in cars again so I just got an hpi rs4 and now I want something to race with also. What made me get tired of cars was driving around by myself doing the same thing but im always worried to fly the planes lol cars cant fall out of the sky....
Old 11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Microz

pcarluvr - hahaha Yes probably won't.

nitrosportsandrunner - That actually looks pretty awesome!!!! I would be really scared to step on that ice though haha!!!

T-max97 - Actually, flying my planes scares me too! I'm afraid of them crashing or as you said, falling out of the sky. I guess thats another reason I want to try out the cars again...

So now I'm looking into that new Axial SCX10 Jeep Rubicon. Does the SCX10 come with extra pinion gears so that I can gear it any way I want, or do I need to buy more separately?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Hey there. I started this hobby with a rc car. After having the car for awhile I fell bored and went into planes...boy was I hooked on those! I'm now about to get started up in helis as well. The reason I started this thread is to ask: should I try RC cars again? Heres the thing; everytime I try RC Cars, I have so much fun for the first 2 weeks, and then they get shoved under my bed because of boredom. I have about 5 cars all in less than perfect running condition, and I all of a sudden have the urge to try RC cars again. Now this happens frequently to me. I always end up shoving my cars under the bed, but then a couple months later I suddenly feel like driving them again, but I know that even if I go through the trouble to drop money into them to bring them up to running conditions, I'm just going to be bored again after another 2 weeks. Do you guys think I should even try RC cars again? I'm thinking that I should just ignore it since it goes away after a bit.
I did the exact same thing, I have two glow planes now and I got interested in cars again so I just got an hpi rs4 and now I want something to race with also. What made me get tired of cars was driving around by myself doing the same thing but im always worried to fly the planes lol cars cant fall out of the sky....
never seen my savage when I go to a BMX park
Old 11-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Well its a different story with a RC car and RC plane. When a RC car falls out of the sky, theres a real good chance that its still okay. When a plane falls out of the sky...you're lucky if you can salvage anything!Thats the only difference. Thats why I'm also under the impression of RC cars being much more relaxing.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can pick up a set of several extra pinion gears for $10-$15 on ebay.

You can gear a stock scx10 to do anywhere from 3mph to 10mph.

And on planes, I too was scared to give them a try.

My 1st attempt failed, as the 1st flight resulted in a crash that broke the tail. but it was a poor beginner plane, and I flew in a tight area.

The 2nd plane I bought new. It was a parkzone slo-v. Its only 3 channel (controls on tail only) and it has a super amount of glide and flys slow (duh)

They way it flys makes getting used to controls easier. And landing (hey, thats the scary part) is a breeze. Its also fairly tough.

I used to fly mine with the optional "parachute man" drop module. Id fly it up, drop the parachute man.....the kids would run out and get the man while I landed and we'd do it all over again. such simple fun!

The hobbyzone supercub is also a great begginer plane.

I owned on as well.

After flying 2 different 3 channel planes, I wanted more.

But 4channel was scary. More controls, more to go wrong.

So I bought a dynam "icanfly". It was $125 shipped RTF. Included a brushless motor and lipo battery. If I was gonna try 4channel, I didnt want to risk alot of money.

The dynam flew beautiful! Landing took a bit to get right (higher speed plane) but after awhile I was doing rolls, flying inverted, death spirals and more.

Yes, the dynam took some hits along the way. I flew into a tree 3 times. had many bad landings. Landed on a roof once. Nosed it into the ground 4 times. That was over the course of 2 summers of flying (most while leaning)
I had to replace mulitple props. That was it. Any damage to the wing or tail I repaired with hot glue and tape.

Last month the plane took its last nose dive. All the electronics still work good, but the nose has finnally taken enough hits that the motor's mount is out of wack.

The moral is that the EPO planes availible are sturdy and easy to repair. While flying is not for everyone, its something worth trying. The key is to choose the right model for you. Dont get a jet, or a sport plane. Dont go for looks. Get a high wing (wing on top, lots of glide) plane meant for beginners.

Next summer I think ill be buying the DC7 twin engine brushless plane on nitroplanes.com. Im ready for a plane that alittle more scale and has more speed.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Cool thanks!

My 1st attempt failed, as the 1st flight resulted in a crash that broke the tail. but it was a poor beginner plane, and I flew in a tight area.

The 2nd plane I bought new. It was a parkzone slo-v. Its only 3 channel (controls on tail only) and it has a super amount of glide and flys slow (duh)

They way it flys makes getting used to controls easier. And landing (hey, thats the scary part) is a breeze. Its also fairly tough.

I used to fly mine with the optional "parachute man" drop module. Id fly it up, drop the parachute man.....the kids would run out and get the man while I landed and we'd do it all over again. such simple fun!

I owned on as well.

So I bought a dynam "icanfly". It was $125 shipped RTF. Included a brushless motor and lipo battery. If I was gonna try 4channel, I didnt want to risk alot of money.

The dynam flew beautiful! Landing took a bit to get right (higher speed plane) but after awhile I was doing rolls, flying inverted, death spirals and more.

Yes, the dynam took some hits along the way. I flew into a tree 3 times. had many bad landings. Landed on a roof once. Nosed it into the ground 4 times. That was over the course of 2 summers of flying (most while leaning)
I had to replace mulitple props. That was it. Any damage to the wing or tail I repaired with hot glue and tape.

Last month the plane took its last nose dive. All the electronics still work good, but the nose has finnally taken enough hits that the motor's mount is out of wack.

The moral is that the EPO planes availible are sturdy and easy to repair. While flying is not for everyone, its something worth trying. The key is to choose the right model for you. Dont get a jet, or a sport plane. Dont go for looks. Get a high wing (wing on top, lots of glide) plane meant for beginners.

Next summer I think ill be buying the DC7 twin engine brushless plane on nitroplanes.com. Im ready for a plane that alittle more scale and has more speed.
Yep I remember my first flight! It wasn't too scary though since It was a micro plane, so when it crashed, it would just float down and set itself onto the ground. I primarily fly micro planes, only have 2 large ones. I plan on getting a micro EDF (UMX MiG 15 from E-flite) at some point since I've gotten a good bit of flight experience. Even with the micros though, I still get nervous at times; not about crashing, but about loosing the plane! Thats why I'm just going to do micro planes/helis from now on; the fact that they are much less nerve-wracking. Then my cars are going to be the ones that are on the larger side. Even though I have fallen bored with cars many times, they seem to be just complete fun and no nervousness. Main reason why I want to start up in cars again as well. Oh by the way, EPP is one of the most durable foams out there. Upon impact with the ground, it just kind of flexes! Amazing stuff. DC7 looks like a nice plane. I'm more of a micro EDF person, but that one still looks real nice.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I shoulda tried a RTF instead of a kit plane that they recommended on the airplane forum...
The kit had the wrong instructions, some of the parts were wrong, and honestly very infuriating to work on.
I gave up threw the kit in the garbage, and used the electronics to slap a prop on the rear of a pede that has 4 skis, and the radio I rebuilt for tank use

Think I might get a better starter heli next time I get the itch to leave the ground, as they always appealed more to me than the prop planes.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Microz

I shoulda tried a RTF instead of a kit plane that they recommended on the airplane forum...
The kit had the wrong instructions, some of the parts were wrong, and honestly very infuriating to work on.
I gave up threw the kit in the garbage, and used the electronics to slap a prop on the rear of a pede that has 4 skis, and the radio I rebuilt for tank use

Think I might get a better starter heli next time I get the itch to leave the ground, as they always appealed more to me than the prop planes.
Yeah I don't like kits when it comes to planes at all unlike the other plane guys here on the forum. I like the micros where I just bind em up to my transmitter, and I'm good to go! Prop planes don't appeal much to me either, but I had to start with them. I'm now moving primarily into micro EDF jets and micro helis...oh and cars once again...should be fun!

EDIT: I worded this post weird...fixed it.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM
t-max97

HAHA rofl....well your savage isnt made of balsa wood.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I used to fly mine with the optional ''parachute man'' drop module. Id fly it up, drop the parachute man.....the kids would run out and get the man while I landed and we'd do it all over again. such simple fun!

I owned on as well.

So I bought a dynam ''icanfly''. It was $125 shipped RTF. Included a brushless motor and lipo battery. If I was gonna try 4channel, I didnt want to risk alot of money.

My first plane was a 3ch mini super cub but both my current planes are big balsa trainers, last time i took one out a new instructor i didnt know took it up and then crashed it and said it was the radio but i dont know, I was soo nervous to fly my other plane a couple weeks later because of that and on my first ever take off, as soon as it got to about 50 ft the engine stalled so I had to deadstick land it with the wind and I had only ever landed twice with the engine! lol I managed and it was fine but I almost crapped myself......
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

My first plane was a 3ch mini super cub but both my current planes are big balsa trainers, last time i took one out a new instructor i didnt know took it up and then crashed it and said it was the radio but i dont know, I was soo nervous to fly my other plane a couple weeks later because of that and on my first ever take off, as soon as it got to about 50 ft the engine stalled so I had to deadstick land it with the wind and I had only ever landed twice with the engine! lol I managed and it was fine but I almost crapped myself......
sure it was the radio
that's a great excuse when ever anything goes wrong
I guess seeing he crashed your plane
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got it....

Get a crawler then make trailer for ur planes and helicopter??? Yeah?

Would look cool too sitting on a shelf rather than under ur bed
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 AM
Microz

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I've got it....

Get a crawler then make trailer for ur planes and helicopter??? Yeah?

Would look cool too sitting on a shelf rather than under ur bed
Hehehehe now that would look pretty cool!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:50 AM
t-max97

sure it was the radio
that's a great excuse when ever anything goes wrong
I guess seeing he crashed your plane

Yeah lol im going to have it tested soon so ill know for sure.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

No
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Microz

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan

No
....why not?Kind of too late anyway.

I ordered rebuild parts and electronics for my ECX Boost to get me eased into it again. Ordered a 35A hobbywing ESC, 3200kv value hobby gforce motor, FSGT2, 6000mah 50c gforce 2s lipo, and a Power HD servo. Im going to ask for the SCX10 on christmas from my parents. Kind of expensive for a 15 year old, so I'm going to let the adults dish out the money for it!

Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Nazzal

Default Trying to help

hey bud,,,going through what your saying,,,and I feel like your kinda monotonous,,, like say someone who gets easily bored with things and your mind is always seeking for much different higher interesting things,,,kinda smart and couldn't stick to the basics,,,and you wanna keep exploring and keep going to new levels,,,sorta went from driving rc cars to piloting rc planes...now you find rc planes interesting and favourable cause they put you through many different challenges,,,not just controlling a rc car on the ground,,,now you got so many things on your mind,,, like dodging the weather,,,trying to do a perfect landing,,,maybe flying it in a stormy kinda weather or just a simple calm glide or more of an aggressive fast moves,,,many things to learn and your mind constantly trying to evolve and here we go,,,that could be your answer bud,,,so its actually what you want,,,if you wanna fly planes,,,hey by all means fly planes...if someone else wants to go rock crawling let them do it,,,if someone wants to have a rc ship and go into heavy waves then its their thing...don't need to force yourself on something you don't like