Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Should I even try RC Cars again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I even try RC Cars again?

Hey there. I started this hobby with a rc car. After having the car for awhile I fell bored and went into planes...boy was I hooked on those! I'm now about to get started up in helis as well. The reason I started this thread is to ask: should I try RC cars again? Heres the thing; everytime I try RC Cars, I have so much fun for the first 2 weeks, and then they get shoved under my bed because of boredom. I have about 5 cars all in less than perfect running condition, and I all of a sudden have the urge to try RC cars again. Now this happens frequently to me. I always end up shoving my cars under the bed, but then a couple months later I suddenly feel like driving them again, but I know that even if I go through the trouble to drop money into them to bring them up to running conditions, I'm just going to be bored again after another 2 weeks. Do you guys think I should even try RC cars again? I'm thinking that I should just ignore it since it goes away after a bit.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 PM
futureboy1969

Default RE: Should I even try RC Cars again?

First off... Hi nieghbor. Will ur only like 45 min from me. But back to ur topic. Yes get those truck out and have some fun with them.
Sound like u run the truck till something goes wrong with them. Then they get put away. I'm I wrong? R they nitro trucks or cars? Lmk
Old 10-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Microz

Hey there! Hows the hurricane been to you so far? Anyway, they are electric cars, and yes I actually kind of do just put them away when something goes wrong. I guess the reason is because I just run it around my yard and hit a ramp every second round. Do you think this could be part of the problem? I mean I don't feel like fixing it again just to run it around my yard again. Could maybe racing get rid of this boredom?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can get boring real quick running by yourself. Pick the one you get the biggest kick out of, and if parts are readily available fix it up and run the wheels off of it. Maybe you want to look for a rc car club to spice up your life.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Microz

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of rebuilding my ECX Boost, and then taking it down to the track. Do you think racing will help me get interested again? I feel that bashing is just a pointless way to break parts to me.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: Microz

Hey there. I started this hobby with a rc car. After having the car for awhile I fell bored and went into planes...boy was I hooked on those! I'm now about to get started up in helis as well. The reason I started this thread is to ask: should I try RC cars again? Heres the thing; everytime I try RC Cars, I have so much fun for the first 2 weeks, and then they get shoved under my bed because of boredom. I have about 5 cars all in less than perfect running condition, and I all of a sudden have the urge to try RC cars again. Now this happens frequently to me. I always end up shoving my cars under the bed, but then a couple months later I suddenly feel like driving them again, but I know that even if I go through the trouble to drop money into them to bring them up to running conditions, I'm just going to be bored again after another 2 weeks. Do you guys think I should even try RC cars again? I'm thinking that I should just ignore it since it goes away after a bit.
Sell all the cars so they will not tempt you. Sounds like an OCD thing.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Sell all the cars so they will not tempt you. Sounds like an OCD thing.
Actually, you're probably right. It is probably an OCD thing! I feel like there is something missing when I see them just under the bed doing nothing. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of rebuilding my ECX Boost, and then taking it down to the track. Do you think racing will help me get interested again? I feel that bashing is just a pointless way to break parts to me.
build a brushless ecx boost. Mines brushless.

when you say "cars" what do you mean? The thing about surface models is there are soo many to try. all different scales, then there is staduim truck/buggies, truggies, monster trucks ect.
Then there is brushed and brushless, and we cant forget about nitros.

Oh, and of course there are also crawlers and scalers!

And as others have mentioned, driving with others is more fun. To that end racing is something you may enjoy.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:01 PM
ASATRUGGYFAN

I'd say find a track to race at, I've been in the Hobby 25+ years off and on. I'd say the appeal of running in my yard wore after a year or less. Racing to this day is still a blast, the competition with the other racers,track, yourself... Lol is all a great time. Plus the good times you'll have meeting new people. I've raced real cars and RC is not quite as fun, but when take the amount of work,time and money real cars take I'd say RC is the best bang for your buck. Don't give up, something appealed to you about the Hobby give racing a try before you throw in the towel.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Microz

Cool thanks for the input guys! I think I'm first going to try selling the cars I have at the moment (they aren't very good for racing anyway, and it would cost me a lot to get them up and running again), and then if I still feel that urge, I'll get another car (probably short course) and take it down to the track and give it a try.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Microz

Okay so what I'm going to do is sell all the cars and car stuff I have right now and get a more race ready vehicle. Would you guys say the Team Associated SC10 RTR is race ready besides the fact that I would need an electronics upgrade?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey what about getting a crawler to tow ur planes
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

If you get bored of them but know that in the future you will be into them again, why don't you put them in running condition BEFORE you shove them under the bed? If they're nitro, just throw some afterrun oil in them, clean them, fix any broken parts etc. If they're electric, put the batteries to whatever the recommended storage charge is, clean them etc. That way when you decide to get into them again all you'll have to do is charge batteries and go. My $0.02. 
Old 10-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Microz

Phmaximus - Well crawlers are kind of too slow for me.
Sigma.40 - Thats actually what I do, but I used to end up taking them apart and "experimenting". Now I don't do that anymore, so it should be a little better now.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: silverman1

It can get boring real quick running by yourself. Pick the one you get the biggest kick out of, and if parts are readily available fix it up and run the wheels off of it. Maybe you want to look for a rc car club to spice up your life.
agree 100% here its like with most things the more people you know that do it the more you will do it.
Wish I knew people nearby interested in RC's as it gets boring as friggin hell going solo.
Took my nephews out a few weeks ago and had a blast, but due to their school, and my work schedule I can't do it very often.
also driving on flat ground gets extremely repetitive.

Kinda can't wait for a good snow so I can take my 6wd WK, stampede with a prop hooked on and 4 skis, and SCX10 out and make some obstacles to go over, and around.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Kinda can't wait for a good snow so I can take my 6wd WK, stampede with a prop hooked on and 4 skis, and SCX10 out and make some obstacles to go over, and around.
Me too. I get peopleall kinds ofpissed when I say it, but I am excited for snow.Its 99% of the reason I bought the Stampede 4x4. Not sure why people get pissed, though, ifa persondislikes snow why are they living in northern Michigan?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Fastvxl

I been in RC 40+ years and I have tried everything from racing to bashing, I found what keeps me from getting bored when I'm by myself is I have different places I run! When I feel like racing I go to the track but most of the times I just like to bash. Thats where I have come up with about 10-12 places I bash at by myself and it keeps it interesting. Example some places are small areas, some are large this gives me different ways I will run which kit I choose on the outing and I always take about 3 different trucks , buggies etc! Some areas have natural jumps, some with different surfaces mixed in the area. I think you get what I'm saying! It just depends on what you want to do and how you feel on the given day. Ever since my son grew up and I lost my running partner this has worked for me for many years. Thats the beauty of RC you do not have to limit youself to just one area of the hobby!! You can own trucks , rock crawlers, planes, boats are anything with a transmitter and reciever.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 AM
siberianhusky

You sound a lot like me, sell them and put the money into an area of the hobby that interests you, I'm into boats, and heli's, building my first plane this winter, I'll be honest for me nothing is as boring as an rc car now, I started pan car racing back in the 80's, then tried the offroad racing thing, non of the car related stuff ever held my attention, then again full sized cars/trucks hold no interest for me either, never have and never will.
Too many other areas of the rc hobby to bother with a segment that doesn't hold your interest especially when most of us now have to watch our hobby money a bit more closely.
Cheers and good luck with the heli, they are a real blast once you get over the beginner hump. (Sell the cars to fund a sweet heli!)
Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 AM
Microz

Fastvxl - thanks for the input. See, but I did take my car to bash at a different place one time, and it still didn't do much for me. I haven't tried racing yet though...I think I'm going to try my hand at that.
siberianhusky - Yep I'm with you. I've been trying RC Cars, but so far nothing. Of course, I haven't raced yet, so maybe that will help spark the interest again? Oh and I'm a huge car enthusiast when it comes to full scale! Maybe thats why I keep feeling the need to have a RC car. Still going to be getting that micro heli though.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Fastvxl - thanks for the input. See, but I did take my car to bash at a different place one time, and it still didn't do much for me. I haven't tried racing yet though...I think I'm going to try my hand at that.
siberianhusky - Yep I'm with you. I've been trying RC Cars, but so far nothing. Of course, I haven't raced yet, so maybe that will help spark the interest again? Oh and I'm a huge car enthusiast when it comes to full scale! Maybe thats why I keep feeling the need to have a RC car. Still going to be getting that micro heli though.
be careful what micro heli you get
I've had a few most them suck their control is so bad its not funny.
I had one that was cool, but it was a tad more expensive than the average micro heli till it crashed a few times, and ultimately broke. The parts were replaceable, but I couldn't find them at the time and just gave up (dunno where I threw it)
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Sigma.40

I don't know if its officially MICRO, but, I have an Eflite 120SR. I've had all kinds of helis ranging from tiny little toy-grade ones all the way to the 4ft long Raptor 50. The 120SR is by far my favorite. It's fast yet controllable. At full speed (which is pretty quick) its still agile enough to fly between the branches of a tree without touching a thing. It's really durable, too.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Microz

I'm thinking of getting the blade MSR. I already have a Spektrum DX7s and I also have plane experience, so if I need to tame it down, I can use my DX7s and dial in some expo and D/R. Syco_Venom, if you are thinking of another one, I would recommend blade. They are a Horizon Hobby company, and based on my planes, they are a great company! Sigma.40, have you had the MSR before? If you have, how do you like it? I thought of the 120sr, but its a little big for indoors, and I'm looking for something to fly indoors at the moment.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

yea they weren't blades they were cheaper indoor/"outdoor" ones
put outdoor in quotes cause the second the one went out and I got any height a slight wind came and it crashed. When I read other people had the same experience its sold as an outdoor heli but unless there is absolutely 0 wind it crashes.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

yea they weren't blades they were cheaper indoor/"outdoor" ones
put outdoor in quotes cause the second the one went out and I got any height a slight wind came and it crashed. When I read other people had the same experience its sold as an outdoor heli but unless there is absolutely 0 wind it crashes.
Yep I had one of those and it broke in the first 3 days due to an outdoor attempt.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Microz

Hmm...I would like some of your insight on this. After looking around a bit, instead of racing, I've fallen in love with the Scalers out there. Man do they look great or what! They also must be great fun when hitting the trails. So I think I'm going to try scaling this winter, and then try racing when the outdoor season resumes again...yes I know, not as fast paced as racing and I said earlier that a crawler is too slow, but dang do these look great! For those of you here with scalers who do trail runs, do you find it to be great fun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.