Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Are your rc vehicles insured?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are your rc vehicles insured?

We closed on our new house yesterday and started moving things in.

One of the items I considered moving was my RC cars....but then started thinking "You know, it will be a few weeks until we fully move and it's obvious the house is vacant...." so I decided not to move them yet (even though we have an alarm system).

I was told by some friends I probably want toprovidemy homeowner's agent with pictures/receipts of the cars so in the event they ever do get stolen or whatever - I am covered. I DO keep mine in the garage, so need to understand if that changes things or not.

Just curious of any of you insure your vehicles (I know some of you have a slew of cars/trucks). If there are any home insurance experts on here, please chime in as well.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 AM
TornadoGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are your rc vehicles insured?

That's pretty interesting. I myself actually never considered insuring my cars, or any other RC, until I started flying over the Summer. Yes, TornadoGuy tried flying, though I am not too good at it yet.

Some modelers at the park I go to brought up having insurance, and they even showed me their cards. I think it was AMA, but don't quote me on that. At first I was a little surprised, but they went on to explain it is the real deal. They said it is crucial to have if your in the air, especially when they fly indoors at their local Armory, because planes can be dangerous in a close proximity, especially if a mechanical error occurs such as a rudder, or aileron failure.

I guess it's all personal preference. I do not know of a specific RC car insurance, but I am sure they're out there.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
sparky 25

I have my RC's insured under house contents,

It's one of the first things I asked about when purchasing home insurance,

Just take pictures of your items and keep them safe,

As for having a runaway or an accident leaving someone injured or causing damage,

my public liability insurance will cover that,
Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

would be hard for me, as my fleet changes every couple of months.

Ticks me really that you have to prove everything in your home and its value. We pay big bucks for home owners insurance, and when the worst happens, as the insurance company cares about is paying out the least amount of money possible.

I did think about it back when I rented, as you can get renters insurance to cover the items you own. but never got around to actually doing it.

I guess it would depend on the value of your models. Tho I often have 4-5 at one time, their value total is rarely over $1000.

But if you owned several K worth of models, then I suppose it would be worth the effort to provide info to your insurance company.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no "specific" policy for my RC nor do I see the need to get one. But they would be issued under my home owners policy. In the event of a break in or fire they would be cover with the "contents" portion of most home owner policies. 2 1/2 years ago our house flooded and I had 2 feet of water in my garage. I found under my flood insurance policy contents are NOT covered and we lost alot of stuff. I was fortunant to be able to dry out all of the RC's (all nitros) that were under water and they all ran like new again.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I have no ''specific'' policy for my RC nor do I see the need to get one. But they would be issued under my home owners policy. In the event of a break in or fire they would be cover with the ''contents'' portion of most home owner policies. 2 1/2 years ago our house flooded and I had 2 feet of water in my garage. I found under my flood insurance policy contents are NOT covered and we lost alot of stuff. I was fortunant to be able to dry out all of the RC's (all nitros) that were under water and they all ran like new again.
Yes, but as I understand it, most insurance companies will give you a hard time if you cannot provide pictures or recipts for the "contents" of you home. They want hard proof of what the contents are, before they give you money for them. Its a pain.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I have no ''specific'' policy for my RC nor do I see the need to get one. But they would be issued under my home owners policy. In the event of a break in or fire they would be cover with the ''contents'' portion of most home owner policies. 2 1/2 years ago our house flooded and I had 2 feet of water in my garage. I found under my flood insurance policy contents are NOT covered and we lost alot of stuff. I was fortunant to be able to dry out all of the RC's (all nitros) that were under water and they all ran like new again.
Yes, but as I understand it, most insurance companies will give you a hard time if you cannot provide pictures or recipts for the ''contents'' of you home. They want hard proof of what the contents are, before they give you money for them. Its a pain.
That is going to depend mosly on who your policy is with. Years ago (8-10 years ago) when I still lived at home with my parents we had a fire. We lost everything. The insurance company covered it all and all they asked for was a list of what was lost. I think we had to give an aproximate value but we didn't have reciepts or many pictures of the stuff. There were pics of what was left after the fire and SOME of it was intact enought to see what it was!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:13 PM
steed2-inactive

This got me thinking so I phone my friend who sell ins. He absolutely hates his job. The first thing he asked me was if the value was over 5000. I said well if I had to replace everything then yes. He said it would be a good idea to contact the company and maybe get a ryder policy. Apparently if the place burned down it wouldn't really matter as you get a huge chunk off money but he said if by chance someone stole all my rc stuff and I went asking my ins company for 7 to 8 thousand dollars for rc stuff they never knew about thing could get messy. Anyways I will be contacting my ins company mon. Thanks John. Never thought about it
Old 12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Yes, but as I understand it, most insurance companies will give you a hard time if you cannot provide pictures or recipts for the ''contents'' of you home. They want hard proof of what the contents are, before they give you money for them. Its a pain.
Ins. In Canada is quite different then. Here you have an amount of contents ins. For example, if my house burns to the ground, the building is ins for a value of 185 thousand, and I have 125 thousand for contents. That's what they pay out if that happened.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:21 PM
steed2-inactive

At least that's what I think happens....now I'm wondering...lol
Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Nope. If I had a fire I would lose everything..
Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

I have renters insurance, all my hobby stuff is on file and documented with my insurer. My neighbor was big into the large scale stuff, he got home from work one day and it was all gone, along with his TV. The TV was easily replaced, but since he he didn't have proof of purchase for any of his cars, and because his insurer didn't have any idea what fair market value would be, he was cut a check for $1000, to replace about $20,000 worth of cars.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM
JohnP2

Thanks for the responses. I've contacted my homeowner's agent and I'll let you all know what he says. My fear is along the lines of what happened to Proanti's friend, and as Steed2 alluded...it could get messy if you tell your insurance about 5-7k worth of "toy cars" that they were unaware of.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 AM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

good thread.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
JohnP2

My insurance agent FINALLY responded to my inquiry, and below is all he wrote:

"We don't cover them items you are asking about".

I had already been having issues with this agent for a while (slow to respond, rude, does not elaborate, etc.). so this was my final straw with him.

Anyway, I called the owner of the agency to basically tell him I was firing his company and why. Wegot to talking and I mentioend the latest imbroglio concerning the RC car response.. The agency owner said "I don't know why he told you that, as those items ARE covered". In fact, he said he brother was into rc planes and rchelicopters. so he understood the investment. He said pictures are worth more than receipts. He also said to log the year, make/model, etc as that is what determines market value.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
steed2-inactive

Good to know John that's awesome.