Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Superglue vs Epoxy

Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM
mlbrenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superglue vs Epoxy

I broke the body mount studs onmy Monster Beatle. I superglued them back on but the one came off.

Would epoxy hold better?

Thanx for your time.

mlb
Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Superglue vs Epoxy

CA (super glue) is very brittle. Tire glue is CA with vinyl added, it's a bit more flexible, but still pretty brittle. Epoxy can be flexible, but can also be extremely brittle, depending on what you buy. In the case of a body post, there is just too much force applied for them to effectively be glued. One thing you can try is take a strip of gauze, spread on some epoxy, so it's nice and saturated, then wrap it around the broken part, this will sometimes be sufficient.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or another option get a needle heat it up and jam it through the end of the part so it has something to try and stabilize it when doing the above.

I've done boot leg fiber glass with epoxy and toilet paper also and it held pretty decent on a stand that the arm snapped in half like 3 years ago, and its still holding till today
Old 12-02-2012, 03:16 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I used epoxy putty to fix a steering knuckle on my 13 pound LST2 monster truck. I sanded the plastic good, cleaned with acetone and wrapped the entire knuckle with putty until it cured. Still using this knuckle on the truck, repaired it 2 years ago.

Any epoxy will work, but the fortified stuff is better. Epoxy does not adhere to plastic very often, for this reason you must sand the parts and clean with acetone or lacquer thinner before applying epoxy to plastic. This method may work on a body post for awhile, it may not. If you have the stuff on hand already, try it. If not, buy new body posts to be safe. It's probably cheaper.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM
The Mad Modder

The best option would be to remove all the dried super glue from the parts and use liquid solvent based model cement. It actually melts both surfaces of the broken joint together making it one piece again. Make sure the cement is made to work with ABS. I know that Testor's cement will work. Mended a broken chassis tub with it and it hasn't come apart so far.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 PM
sheograth

There shouldn't be much force on a body post, provided you drive properly [&:]
Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try JB Weld, or JB Quik.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: sheograth

There shouldn't be much force on a body post, provided you drive properly [&:]
huh? My body posts take a beating. If you drive properly, you must be doing it wrong.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

I've had good success "temporarily" mending parts (suspension arms, body posts, chassis) following the tissue paper and CA method while until either the tower hobbies order arrives or pick up replacement parts (along with a spare) from the local hobby shop. I've yet to have a repair break again, but I only use them for a short period of time.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I used epoxy putty to fix a steering knuckle on my 13 pound LST2 monster truck. I sanded the plastic good, cleaned with acetone and wrapped the entire knuckle with putty until it cured. Still using this knuckle on the truck, repaired it 2 years ago.

Any epoxy will work, but the fortified stuff is better. Epoxy does not adhere to plastic very often, for this reason you must sand the parts and clean with acetone or lacquer thinner before applying epoxy to plastic. This method may work on a body post for awhile, it may not. If you have the stuff on hand already, try it. If not, buy new body posts to be safe. It's probably cheaper.

This method is pretty much how I repair plastic / resin parts, etc. except I use Devcon "Plastic Welder"...it comes in the double syringe (black ) and is, I believe Methyl Methacrylate? It cures very quickly...less than 5 minutes, and works great to mount servo, and landing gear rails, etc. in fiberglass fuselages, too...very strong. Cleaning and prep is critical for a strong glue joint.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM
mlbrenn

Thanxeveryone for your input.

I have several good things to try.

Can I find the plastic weld at Lowes?

Thanx again everyone
Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I think Lowes might have it...I've gotten it from Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts.