Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Turbocharged nitro engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbocharged nitro engines

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

The lengths people will go to just to prove a point. Guys... wouldn't it just be better to agree to disagree? Oh crap, I forgot I was on RCU for a second... Carry on.

You shouldn't be so fast to start to criticizing this thread.....we are only having a peaceful open forum discussion about an advanced technical subject related to nitro RC's....I don't see any name calling or any other reasons for anyone to complain....... these types of discussions do no harm at all, and in the long run will offer a rich source of technical information your not going to find many other places.......Unlike many others I am actually capable of building and testing the apparatus needed to test the theories of boosting a nitro engine.....If anyone is disinterested in nitro engine theory then they should just not read the thread and allow us other gear heads to do our thing without all the complexity added by unneeded drama....For me this has nothing to do with proving a point, or at least not in the connotation you want to apply ...I am driven to try these sorts of things because it is my passion, my hobby and my business..... Anything new I can try is like a treat for me, as I thoroughly enjoy what I do.......building and dyno testing a way to boost these nitro engines is an awesome project that I would do whether someone was egging me on or not.....A little extra drama on the forums bantering back and forth in good nature just makes the results all that much more interesting..............Just wait guys..... this entire project is going to be interesting for anyone who has any sort of fascination with nitro engines.......The thing you need to remember, that is anyone can make boost work on these engines it is going to be someone like me...I bring a whole pile more experience, knowledge and resource then the guys you see on youtube bolting a RB innovations Supercharger onto their T-Maxx ........... So don't count this theory out untill you take the time to know the players in the game..... What I got planned is a whole different ballgame then what anyone else has done......
Yeah yeah yeah, I know you guys love to tackle the big issues.

I just think it's funny how far you guys will go to not only one up the other guy but also just to prove yourself right. Even though there is no name calling it's pretty easy to see that there is no love lost between some of the participants in these type of threads. Anyway, seeing how desperate you guys are to prove your point is kinda entertaining so like I said earlier, carry on.

BTW I love getting one star ratings, it's like giving an attention seeking little boy an ice-cream.
Are you really this ignorant of a person ?
If I'm ignorant then what are you, uncouth perhaps?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is impossible for the fuel pressure to be lower then the intake pressure..

the fuel tank will always be at a higher pressure then the engines intake.,...its the simple mechanics behind these engines... as no matter how much air we cram down the carb the exhaust will always have substantially more pressure then the intake side of the engine..... ........

you do realize that ''Boost'' is only air right ? and your must realize that if we increase the intake air volume by 30% we will also increase the exhaust volume by 30% as well................so no matter how much air we suck into the engine the exhaust pressure will always be proportionately as strong ... We could triple the volume of air going into that carb and the fuel system will always keep working just the same...........
Ok I'm happy now that I've got my point across

Hummmm... I know that the exhaust flow is the same as the intake flow,(excluding nitrous) but I thought the muffler bleed off pressure through the stinger. So naturally I assumed that it would be slightly lower
I'm use to full size engines that are lucky to see 1psi in the exhaust system
I'm just assuming here...
the exhaust pulses right? So it's continually changing pressure, does the pulse peak over intake pressure. Or peak to intake pressure?
And I'm assuming that traped pressure in the exhaust is what makes the air seal around the exhaust port when the piston is down?
If that's correct, regardless of valves u should have no problems with forced induction right?
Say if the exhaust pressure is the same as the intake, no boost would be lost out of the exhaust port because of the 2 high pressure fronts hitting each other...... See all I needed was a few drinks to slow my thoughts lol
I got to thinking u could seal the carbys slide the same way, just drill a small hole up the housing to the slides bush, pump boost up there and u wouldent have to worry about fuel been Bowen out the bush, only air would.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 AM
phmaximus

Hey just thinking, the fuel system is going to need strengthening, if ur race engines are poping the tank lid, a decent working turbo setup will be even worse and might pop fuel lines.... I've found the muffler hose to fuel tank has been the most problematic for me, I can only assume its because of the heat, this is going to be more of a problem with a turbo.

Might be worth fitting some of those micro hose clamps
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

It would probably bust the tank before the lines,since you two are done having a "conversation" supertib just needs to test it now! I think It will work I just dont know how well.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 PM
phmaximus

Lol
Yeah don't think the lines will burst, I was thinking they might back off the fittings
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Hey just thinking, the fuel system is going to need strengthening, if ur race engines are poping the tank lid, a decent working turbo setup will be even worse and might pop fuel lines.... I've found the muffler hose to fuel tank has been the most problematic for me, I can only assume its because of the heat, this is going to be more of a problem with a turbo.

Might be worth fitting some of those micro hose clamps
well that's the only real issue in the fuel delivery I can see

Old 07-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Snake0311

Hey guys, figured id post my frankenstein model, tips welcome
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11754808_1658950204321211_5644858594923071869_o.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	2111394  
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Snake0311
Hey guys, figured id post my frankenstein model, tips welcome
Woah. Nice, yo! Does it run well?

But I think you'd get some more views if you post that in the "Clubhouse" section at the top of the page.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 AM
Snake0311

No, i just finished putting it together, everything right down to the radios on that plane are new, nothing has ever been runned, still waiting on running gear in the mail, a month and a half and still nothing
Old 08-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Snake0311

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11219659_1664349737114591_2362746179758219738_n.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2113983  
Old 08-15-2015, 06:08 PM
phmaximus

My only tip.... If u put the turbo on the stinger it won't effect the exhaust pulses
Old 08-15-2015, 11:50 PM
Snake0311

A stinger?????? im lost
Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 AM
phmaximus

exhaust tip past the expansion chamber.... commonly refereed to a muffler even tho its primary function is not to muffle sound
Old 08-17-2015, 07:00 AM
phmaximus

like what they do on 2stroke snow mobiles... otherwise it will mess with the exhaust pulses causing port timing issues

Old 02-25-2016, 08:00 AM
pokaspeed

Bump!

It seems rc turbo tech has moved forward a bit since this thread was made, and last bumped. I just bought myself one of these bad boys.....

http://www.turbokeychains.com/product/ge-s2/

Along with one of their stainless down pipes.....

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UN...ionId=58042134

I'm gonna give this a shot on my trx 3.3 swapped asc rc10gt. It doesn't look like the turbo and down pipe will be here for another week or so. But if anyone is interested I'll post some update pics as I go.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:59 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pokaspeed
Bump!

It seems rc turbo tech has moved forward a bit since this thread was made, and last bumped. I just bought myself one of these bad boys.....

http://www.turbokeychains.com/product/ge-s2/

Along with one of their stainless down pipes.....

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UN...ionId=58042134

I'm gonna give this a shot on my trx 3.3 swapped asc rc10gt. It doesn't look like the turbo and down pipe will be here for another week or so. But if anyone is interested I'll post some update pics as I go.
Your kidding right? thats a toy keychain, I watched one of them get hit with pressure and disintegrate. and the other thing is a picture of a pipe. There are no positive changes to a nitro engine of that size with a turbo. The things sold on the market right now supposedly as turbos are junk and only shorten the life of your engine.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM
pokaspeed

I know its a toy you goof ball, a nitro rc car is a toy for chirsts sake. The "picture of a pipe" as you call it is a 3d drawing of a part that is printed in brass infused stainless steel, and isn't anything but a representation of the part I'm going to get. I'm doing it to satisfy my own curiosity, and because I can. I'm not interested in your opinion of how or how it isn't going to work. Thanks though.

Edit: Wait, I think you have the wrong idea of what I'm trying to do here.

Last edited by pokaspeed; 02-25-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Barracuz

Originally Posted by pokaspeed
I know its a toy you goof ball, a nitro rc car is a toy for chirsts sake. The "picture of a pipe" as you call it is a 3d drawing of a part that is printed in brass infused stainless steel, and isn't anything but a representation of the part I'm going to get. I'm doing it to satisfy my own curiosity, and because I can. I'm not interested in your opinion of how or how it isn't going to work. Thanks though.

Edit: Wait, I think you have the wrong idea of what I'm trying to do here.

It wont work. Ive bought those keychains and bench ran them and even used some custom impellers and other modifications but could never get it to make boost.

And same with our 2 strokes ive experimented a bit and tried to blow compressed air into a running engine but tuning was a hassel and the carb was never right

But one fellow is set on trying it anyway:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...ke-rc-car.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2606766