Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 AM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro vs Electric

I have one nitro and a few electric which include brushed and brushless. I like them both but I do like the convenience of electric. But I also like the the sound of nitro.

My main hobby is RC planes but my club has also gotten into running buggies and trucks for off road. We have a track so we bash and do some racing and the electric are just easier for me.

In my airplane hobby the same arguement about electric vs. nitro is the same. Ads for airplanes greatly lean towards the electrics. Although I have a couple of electric planes I really prefer nitro. For planes the flight times for electric planes is to the point where the nitros are if you compare a tank of fuel to a battery pack. But it takes an hour to charge a battery where it takes a couple of minutes to fill a tank. I know a guy could have more than one battery but al I carry is 2 so all I get is two flights and I get at least ten from a gallon of fuel.

One last note: Airplane nitro engines are alot easier to tune and they usually stayed tuned. There is a lot less time you have to mess with a plane engine than a buggy engine.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Traxxas is obviously a big player in the RC world - but the bottom of it. Take Traxxas out of the equation (as most non-newbs do anyway) and everything looks very different.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no provocation in my words at all, just stating it as I see it, without emotion.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Traxxas is obviously a big player in the RC world - but the bottom of it. Take Traxxas out of the equation (as most non-newbs do anyway) and everything looks very different.
Sure, but traxxas is a great barometer of the market. They don't make models because they love it, they don't make models for racing, they make whatever people are buying. See why its relevant?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 AM
HerrSavage

My signature merely articulates my fed-up-ness with pseudo-objective postings by you and others on this utterly stupid topic. I used to try to be more diplomatic, but posts like yours are so full of it I decided to .... well, throw diplomacy to the wind.

I mean, that's what you're doing when you say "nitro is dying" and "electric is better than nitro".. And a select few of you are saying c.rap like that all the time..

I actually like brushless now more than I thought I would. It is indeed very convenient(being able to walk through the local park or neighborhood, where I never could with nitro), running a high-performance RC truck.. But there's more to life than convenience.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: supertib

You're right, I edited my original post, 'dying' is indeed the wrong word, I'd like to swap that for 'receding'.

no it is not....the turnouts this year are coming back strong...many more nitro racers out there then electric.......and that trend will never change...nitro is just far more interesting to people,.....
Coming back from what? The caning they have taken at the hands of brushless evolution, yeh, maybe...but still, there are a lot LESS nitro folks around now than there were two years ago, less still than there were 4 years ago, and less still than 6 years ago. I call that a trend.

Believe it or not, what happens at tracks is not representative of the hobby in general.

Go to traxxas and count the electric models, now count the nitro models. You telling me traxxas are stupid and should be focusing on nitro race cars? They know the market better than anybody. Now, if you'd done the same comparison 5 years ago, you think there would be more nitro or electric cars? I can tell you it was about even. HPI the same.

We must try not to apply our niche or corner of the world to the entire hobby.

nitro sales now are just as good as ever......I am selling more engines then I ever have......and so are the factories ......... nitro is not dyeing by any means LOL.....

However electric is bringing more people into the hobby...which then exposes them to the more interesting nitro in the long run

Traxass Nitro sucked...thank god they are moving away from nitro, their engines and nitro products gave nitro a bad name !

and how do you know what traxass sells ? do you own a hobby store and deal with the distributors ? I certainly do !

for novices getting into the hobby electric is better IMO,which is good for Traxass as their products are meant for novices...

in the end your biased against nitro... makes me wish we could meet at a track, as I guarantee one day at the track with me and your electrics wouldn't seem nearly as impressive as you think they are...

At the end of the day nitro is not going anywhere..if anything the electric class will become the feeder class for the nitro..........electric is great for getting guys into the hobby, nitro is great for keeping them in the hobby.......

Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 AM
HerrSavage

Traxxas is an awful barometer of the market. Shiny overpriced RTR lower-quality products for newbs, which need lots of upgrades to made halfway durable. Some eventually figure that out and move on to better things, but I'll bet there are an awful lot of beat-up Rustlers laying in peoples' cellars, never touched after the first breakage. Anyone with half a clue in RC stays clear of Traxxas(excepting a few willing to invest the time and money to make them tough.. No offense to them. But by and large Traxxas is a brand for newbs..)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Foxy

I edited my post regarding your sig, as you are being more reasonable now and I didn't want to seem provocative, thanks for taking ithat comment in the spirit it was meant anyway.

I agree that for some there is more to life than convenience and performance. To those people I say 'do you want something you can run anywhere anytime, but sounds like a UFO? Or do you want a nitro with wicked sound and smell that you have to take out of the city to run?', it's a simple question that is usually the decider for most. Others, like you and me, can afford to run both.
The following users liked this post:
^Horatio> (04-07-2021)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 AM
Foxy

You're right, I edited my original post, 'dying' is indeed the wrong word, I'd like to swap that for 'receding'.

no it is not....the turnouts this year are coming back strong...many more nitro racers out there then electric.......and that trend will never change...nitro is just far more interesting to people,.....
Coming back from what? The caning they have taken at the hands of brushless evolution, yeh, maybe...but still, there are a lot LESS nitro folks around now than there were two years ago, less still than there were 4 years ago, and less still than 6 years ago. I call that a trend.

Believe it or not, what happens at tracks is not representative of the hobby in general.

Go to traxxas and count the electric models, now count the nitro models. You telling me traxxas are stupid and should be focusing on nitro race cars? They know the market better than anybody. Now, if you'd done the same comparison 5 years ago, you think there would be more nitro or electric cars? I can tell you it was about even. HPI the same.

nitro sales now are just as good as ever......I am selling more engines then I ever have......and so are the factories ......... nitro is not dyeing by any means LOL.....

However electric is bringing more people into the hobby...which then exposes them to the more interesting nitro in the long run

Traxass Nitro sucked...thank god they are moving away from nitro, their engines and nitro products gave nitro a bad name !

and how do you know what traxass sells ? do you own a hobby store and deal with the distributors ? I certainly do !

for novices getting into the hobby electric is better IMO,which is good for Traxass as their products are meant for novices...

in the end your biased against nitro... makes me wish we could meet at a track, as I guarantee one day at the track with me and your electrics wouldn't seem nearly as impressive as you think they are...

At the end of the day nitro is not going anywhere..if anything the electric class will become the feeder class for the nitro..........electric is great for getting guys into the hobby, nitro is great for keeping them in the hobby.......

Nitro sales are up because the hobby is growing rapidly again (largely thanks to the brushless revolution)

Traxxas nitro may have sucked, that isn't the point. Traxxas aren't there to do anything but make money. They sell what 'sells'. If nitro was on the rise, traxxas would be developing more nitro vehicles. Funny you continue to think that because you are on the commercial end of things you know better than others, again it might surprise you to find that the opposite is the case.

Electric is not for novices at all, nitro is. You seen a novice electric car? Brushed motor and nimh battery, mmmm, the cars most likely to put someone off the hobby forever.

Sigh..... I'm NOT biased against nitro, I just believe that electric technology has surpassed it in many ways.

Nitro isn't going anywhere...in how long? 10 years? 100 years?

As someone who makes and sells nitro engines I would suggest you are not completely objective.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 AM
HerrSavage

supertib:
[/quote]
[/quote]

I have never more wholeheartedly (if at all) agreed with a sentence to come from supertib than his last one right there. I'm even shocked myself..
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 AM
The Mad Modder

As controversial as this thread is getting, I can see it closed in a day or two. "Nitro vs electric" threads are almost as bad as political ones. They revolve almost purely on opinions.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: supertib:
I have never more wholeheartedly (if at all) agreed with a sentence to come from supertib than his last one right there. I'm even shocked myself..
So did you need lots of help with your nitros when you first started? Just curious?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: supertib:
So did you need lots of help with your nitros when you first started? Just curious?

we have a healthy attendance of electrics.....most of the new guys come to the track armed with electrics............ but whats interesting , and something I suspected would happen, is that the electric gus are becoming interested in nitro........and whats even better is that the guys who start with electric usually do much better with nitro , as they already have the basics under their belt......We have seen many guys start with electric , then end up purchasing nitro's..........There is no question about it, nitro cars attract attention and capture people's imaginations much more then electric does........... At our track nobody cares when he electrics are racing, no spectators, nothing...Yet when the nitro's fire up everyone watches.....Nitro is just more interesting for most people in general..... If all there was running was electrics the hobby would die off, electrics just don't wow people the same way a nitro does........... Once people see a few standing backflips the novelty wears off...

I sell both nitro and electric ! I make money on both..........
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Foxy

I don't disagree with anything above. I know more people who have gone from nitro to electric myself, but only since the popularization of brushless.

I assure you my 6S truggy wows people a lot more than any of my nitros (although my best nitro hardly compares to your best). I can speak from personal experience. Nitro is still popular here in greece, due to the length of time in the market, electric brushless is outrageously expensive here, and in general wages are low anyway, so not many people are ordering from elsewhere. Therefore, more nitros at the bash spot usually, but that is slowly changing. Anyway, and as I'm sure I've told you before, when I put the 6S truggy down and gun it, not just the bystanders all turn and stare open mouthed, all the nitro hobbyists do as well. It is not just a small difference to the average nitro, it is a TOTALLY different animal. It's not the speed that's impressive, it's the torque which is up almost 100% compared to a nitro. I'll be rolling along at 50mph, and still lift the front wheels and turn them into pizza cutters as I hurtle toward my top speed of around 70mph. My tires audibly screeching on the dusty tarmac as I torture them mercilessly with the overwhelming torque. Standing backflips, triple flips off a modest ramp, THAT's what makes everyone turn and look at a brushless.

Now the gasser, that makes a noise that makes people stop and put ear defenders on...erm, I mean stop and stare
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 AM
supertib

I don't disagree with anything above. I know more people who have gone from nitro to electric myself, but only since the popularization of brushless.

I assure you my 6S truggy wows people a lot more than any of my nitros (although my best nitro hardly compares to your best). I can speak from personal experience. Nitro is still popular here in greece, due to the length of time in the market, electric brushless is outrageously expensive here, and in general wages are low anyway, so not many people are ordering from elsewhere. Therefore, more nitros at the bash spot usually, but that is slowly changing. Anyway, and as I'm sure I've told you before, when I put the 6S truggy down and gun it, not just the bystanders all turn and stare open mouthed, all the nitro hobbyists do as well. It is not just a small difference to the average nitro, it is a TOTALLY different animal. It's not the speed that's impressive, it's the torque which is up almost 100% compared to a nitro. I'll be rolling along at 50mph, and still lift the front wheels and turn them into pizza cutters as I hurtle toward my top speed of around 70mph. My tires audibly screeching on the dusty tarmac as I torture them mercilessly with the overwhelming torque. Standing backflips, triple flips off a modest ramp, THAT's what makes everyone turn and look at a brushless.

Now the gasser, that makes a noise that makes people stop and put ear defenders on...erm, I mean stop and stare

6S as a basher is wild....but too hot and heavy for racing

Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 AM
supertib

In the end I Am seeing electric making a great gateway drug into nitro !!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Foxy

I dunno, I'd try to make it work if they'd let me. The track owner believes (incorrectly) that a 6S electric on the track with the nitros would be unfair (on the nitros).

It will always come down to driver, not powerplant, as long as the infield is more than the straight.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Foxy

Funny you should say that, I much prefer the high from nitro fumes than ozone.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Heated indoor racing in the winter = electric only. enough said.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINL: supertib

Wrong. I was always a Nitro RCer planes, cars all nitro. 12 years ago I would of snubbed my nose at electric but now, with all the new technology, all electric.
Well almost, I have one Nitro plane I cant part with.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 AM
asmund

I want to sum it up very short: Electric=boring, Nitro=exciting
Yes I have had both, but now only nitro and 1/5 gas for me thanks. A car without real sound and exhaust is no real car. Electics give me nothing at all.
But that is just me I guess
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Omg no, please don't have Traxxas make more Nitro. They have the most unreliable nitro powerplants I have used. Traxxas should stick to electric.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 AM
supertib

I dunno, I'd try to make it work if they'd let me. The track owner believes (incorrectly) that a 6S electric on the track with the nitros would be unfair (on the nitros).

It will always come down to driver, not powerplant, as long as the infield is more than the straight.
I Would let you run 6S on the track...It would offer you no real advantage..... If we were running oval races I may have a different opinion, but in offroad the extra weight would far more then offset the power difference....We have a few guys who run 5S, they run good, but they certainly pay a penalty for being heavy...they are just not as nimble, especially in the tighter sections where hugging the pipe is soo critical....the extra weight makes the cars push more.....you have to work harder to get the car to change direction.....

regardless....Nitro is not going anywhere...if anything the blossom of electric has just created a much larger market for the industry as a whole.......The popularity of electric may end up being a booster shot for the nitro side of the hobby........ with electric being so good it allows far more people to be successful in the hobby then they would have been ten years ago with a nitro..The more people who are successful the more people who will stay in the hobby....Plenty of guys will eventually end up running a nitro, and chances are will be much more successful as they will be coming from a stronger foundation....... What killed the hobby was people would start out with a cheap RTR nitro gear and would struggle like hell to get things to work...HIgh oil fuel, crappy engines, leaky pullstarts...even a expert like me would struggle to get reliable performance with crap like that, no wonder the hobby had such a high turnover..........Now with electric we can skip all that nonsense and guys can get to enjoying the hobby immediately, which will in turn stop the huge amount of turnover we seen with the RTR nitro generation..........
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

I really dont see why this was started in the first place, it always turn to a bickering match on this is better no that is better, who the hell cares, run what the "jump off the bridge" what you like and stop deciding for someone whats better or not.

If you really want people to decide you should weigh all the pros and cons and not the bias BS that Ive seen on here.

I run both I like both, do I have more electrics than nitro yes, why? They make more of a variety. Is there something about nitro or gas that stops me from getting more? Yes the noise especially my 5B, I cant run them how I would like, and traveling to a track is kinda hard during the week.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: asmund

I want to sum it up very short: Electric=boring, Nitro=exiting
Yes I have had both, but now only nitro and 1/5 gas for me thanks. A car without real sound and exhaust is no real car. Electics give me nothing at all.
But that is just me I guess
So nitro is exiting the scene eh? And electrics are boring, so you must just be a gasser now lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.