Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

This is impressive any which way you look at it...

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

This is impressive any which way you look at it...

Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: This is impressive any which way you look at it...

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Hm...maybe you saw telemetry and the TQi was brought to your mind, however, these radios are not comparable. This radio is comparable to the most expensive radios on the market, the TQi is just a cheapish traxxas plastic radio which needs apple technology to work. (please excuse bluntness)
ok, but what makes it compareable? the fast frame rate? I rember not that long ago u were advising a member that u could not notice a difference in these very high frame rate controllers compared to a standard controller.

educate me please Im keen to know whats so speical?
Since you answered your own question in subsequent posts...
Did I??? what makes it so good?

only things i can think about it that might give it some WOW factor are

Steering Speed Adjustment
Steering Mix Adjustment
Throttle Neutral (Dead Zone) Range Adjustment
Throttle Exponential Adjustment
Throttle Idle Up Programming
Engine Cut Programming
Boat Mode
Brake Mixing
Full Channel Mixing
Servo Movement Display
Race Timer

none of those features would ever get used? well not by most surface r/c drivers would they?

hey, I have no idea, im just trying to see the attraction from someone els prespective

all I think, I could wright a long just like that that the TQi can do that woud be bigger, and then a absoloutely massive list on what a iphone can do.

I know alot of people complaine that u need a iphone, 99.9% of the time its people that dont own a iphone. thats there problem not traxxas.
It makes perfect sence IMO to use a market leading phone as a screen and touch interface. saves on retail cost and steps up the screen quality.

Brand sharing on products is very common, seriously think about what made bluray more popular than HD DVD's

I would bet alot of money that by apple and traxxas paring up on the TQi, that both of there sales have increased...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please can we stop talking about a traxxas RTR radio in a thread about a pro level racing radio? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 AM
phmaximus

oh ok so its like that now. Seriously?

well since its a pro level radio, How many people do u think will use it at a national level?
How well would u trust it?

If HPS started making carbon fiber light weight touring cars would that make them pro level racers?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 AM
phmaximus

Hey look, im after the best budget controller for all my surface stuff, if this is better ill make the swap.

but ATM it does not look that good to warrent changing everything over.

I dont know a whole lot about pro level controller, so please excuse my presistance, im just trying to learn.

What advantages would I gain from this? or what advantages would a die hard racer gain?

I think some of the features would be handy on large scale 1/5 and above, just not 1/10 and 1/8

I dont know [&o] im just a basher
Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 AM
Foxy

Hey look, im after the best budget controller for all my surface stuff, if this is better ill make the swap.

but ATM it does not look that good to warrent changing everything over.

I dont know a whole lot about pro level controller, so please excuse my presistance, im just trying to learn.
What advantages would I gain from this? or what advantages would a die hard racer gain?

I think some of the features would be handy on large scale 1/5 and above, just not 1/10 and 1/8

I dont know [&o] im just a basher
Look at it this way...forget the Flysky, lets imagine I posted a Futaba 4pkRS, arguably the finest radio available, period. Would you argue that it is comparable to the TQi?

My Futaba has a custom grip, a very rare very lightweight throttle trigger spring, the steering wheel is exactly where I want it in 3 planes of movement. The weight is perfectly balanced like a handgun. These ergonomic considerations are really what counts when you are trying to be the best you can be, standing on the drivers stand, concentrating, holding the tx for 45 minutes without even blinking.

I have a TQi, and I hate it. Hated it since I first used it. The trigger spring is FAR too strong, its very uncomfortable to hold, it's way too light, it takes aa batteries, it looks cheap and nasty. It is frankly a toy compared to 'serious' radios. The fact that it fulfills your needs adequately does not surprise me, and more power to you. I am used to far better evolved stuff., which have to do with more than just 'features that we actually use'.

Once again, I'm not saying this radio is going to make the Futaba 4pk look like a waste of money, but if it really does all its supposed to do, and 'feels' right, then its in with a shot of doing just that, since the feature sets are almost the same, in fact, the Flysky has the touch screen which to my knowledge no other radio has at the moment.

It has a lot to prove and I will need to review one properly before I can say for sure if it woulod be worth even you making the swap, however, $26 per receiver is a pretty good incentive for most.

P.S. You mention that a couple of the features that the FS has over the TQi would be suited only to gas, and I don't disagree, however, what would you rather have? A radio that you could use if/when you got a gasser and with every other car? Or would you rather buy a new radio again when you get a gasser. More is normally better, regardless whether you have an immediate use or not.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 AM
iexion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"This is what happens when your smartphone has sex with your Transmitter" [X(]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0kqdqhb_cE[/youtube]
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM
ejc34710

Ok, i'm getting one now after watching that video...
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
iexion

Agreed. Gotta wait till tax time
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

I stand corrected. The TQi does have the model memory built in. As to where I got the info, or the lack of it, from the box the radio comes in. It only listed the model memory under the features of the not included ipod. To program the radio without the ipod, you have to watch the LED's flash in patterns. Sort of like programming an ESC by the beeps instead of the program card. Not the easiest way to do it, but it does work.

I am looking at getting a SC truck so, I will need a radio for two trucks. It looks like the FS-it4 will fit my budget and needs very well.

Buzz.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That thing looks insane for the cost... I may be making an after tax refund purchase lol, put all my other controllers in storage!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Its defiantly worth the risk. For a 150 you cant go wrong.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so who has one now? How is it? As sweet as it looks?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 PM
phmaximus

Look at it this way...forget the Flysky, lets imagine I posted a Futaba 4pkRS, arguably the finest radio available, period. Would you argue that it is comparable to the TQi?

My Futaba has a custom grip, a very rare very lightweight throttle trigger spring, the steering wheel is exactly where I want it in 3 planes of movement. The weight is perfectly balanced like a handgun. These ergonomic considerations are really what counts when you are trying to be the best you can be, standing on the drivers stand, concentrating, holding the tx for 45 minutes without even blinking.

I have a TQi, and I hate it. Hated it since I first used it. The trigger spring is FAR too strong, its very uncomfortable to hold, it's way too light, it takes aa batteries, it looks cheap and nasty. It is frankly a toy compared to 'serious' radios. The fact that it fulfills your needs adequately does not surprise me, and more power to you. I am used to far better evolved stuff., which have to do with more than just 'features that we actually use'.

Once again, I'm not saying this radio is going to make the Futaba 4pk look like a waste of money, but if it really does all its supposed to do, and 'feels' right, then its in with a shot of doing just that, since the feature sets are almost the same, in fact, the Flysky has the touch screen which to my knowledge no other radio has at the moment.

It has a lot to prove and I will need to review one properly before I can say for sure if it woulod be worth even you making the swap, however, $26 per receiver is a pretty good incentive for most.

P.S. You mention that a couple of the features that the FS has over the TQi would be suited only to gas, and I don't disagree, however, what would you rather have? A radio that you could use if/when you got a gasser and with every other car? Or would you rather buy a new radio again when you get a gasser. More is normally better, regardless whether you have an immediate use or not.
Umm no, I don't think I would compare a TQi to a Futuba 4pk, firstly they have no comparable features and they are in totally different price ranges. And I would say they are aimed at totally different markets.

Glad u like ur Futuba, but that's irrelevant

So with the TQi u are just starting ur opinion not facts.
My opinion of the throttle spring, easy to pull, my 1yo, 2yo and 8yo have no problems using it. Hell even my wife thinks its easy.
Just measured it it's a whooping 115g maximum... I don't thing that's "far to strong"
I even told my wife some one thought that the spring was to strong... Don't think I'll post here response, but it was funny
In ur opinion it's to light to hold for 45min with out blinking. I've never heard of someone complaining about a hand held object been too light? What the? All I can suggest is try it with a docking base and iPhone docked. Mine comes in at 499g with out a i device and 638g with a iPhone docked. I've found with a iPhone docked its got great ballance, and a very low cog witch makes the controllers ballance point the trigger it self when fully depressed. So I don't understand why u say it's not ballanced?
Yes it takes AA batteries are u saying that's a bad thing? I've upgraded mine to use the hump nimh pack, and it's got a built in charging jack.
Looks cheap and nasty? Please explain? From what I can see the housing it thick and reinforced with bridges and the housings fit together perfectly, some of the best plastic injecting moulding I've seen from traxxas yet. There are no rattles or creaks when shaken, and all curcit boards and wires are secured very well. I can fault its construction one bit?
Is it because it does not have any bling? Or rubber grips?
Non telemerty recivers for the TQi are $30 and $37 for the telemerty ones that's cheap right?

Ok I better stop I've got heapse more to say, but I've been bitten by TLDR to many times now?
Last 2 question what does this mean, I hope u not trying to take the piss
"The fact that it fulfills your needs adequately does not surprise me, and more power to you"
If u have the 4pk why would u buy this radio?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
phmaximus

Oh bugger, I just reread my post, and it sounds a bit.... So yeah just rember I'm not having a go
Old 02-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Foxy

Yeh, you're right, I'm just flapping my gums as usual, no clue what I'm talking about, the TQi is the best radio around, you win.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Foxy

Umm no, I don't think I would compare a TQi to a Futuba 4pk, firstly they have no comparable features and they are in totally different price ranges. And I would say they are aimed at totally different markets.

Good. Then why compare this flysky? It's directly comparable to the 4pk, same features.

Glad u like ur Futuba, but that's irrelevant

No, it's not irrelevant, because I own a TQi as well. The ergonomics of a futaba radio are adjustable, as they are on this flysky.

So with the TQi u are just starting ur opinion not facts.
My opinion of the throttle spring, easy to pull, my 1yo, 2yo and 8yo have no problems using it. Hell even my wife thinks its easy.
Just measured it it's a whooping 115g maximum... I don't thing that's ''far to strong''

Try a pro radio, and try some on road racing, and you'll see why this is important.

I even told my wife some one thought that the spring was to strong... Don't think I'll post here response, but it was funny

Yeh, your wife, with her massive experience of RC, knowledge of what has been said in this thread and knowing what kind of person I am, has to have a really relevant opinion. I told my wife there is a guy here saying his TQi is comparable to racing radios, you probably don't wanna hear what she said either.

In ur opinion it's to light to hold for 45min with out blinking. I've never heard of someone complaining about a hand held object been too light? What the? All I can suggest is try it with a docking base and iPhone docked. Mine comes in at 499g with out a i device and 638g with a iPhone docked. I've found with a iPhone docked its got great ballance, and a very low cog witch makes the controllers ballance point the trigger it self when fully depressed. So I don't understand why u say it's not ballanced?

Where did I say it was 'too light to hold for 45 mins'. I said that both 'it is too light', and that I don't like holding it for 45 mins, but neither has any bearing on the other. Its about the adjustability of the grips, trigger, wheel position.

Yes it takes AA batteries are u saying that's a bad thing? I've upgraded mine to use the hump nimh pack, and it's got a built in charging jack.

Yes, taking aa batteries is a bad thing compared to including a lipo pack.

Looks cheap and nasty? Please explain? From what I can see the housing it thick and reinforced with bridges and the housings fit together perfectly, some of the best plastic injecting moulding I've seen from traxxas yet. There are no rattles or creaks when shaken, and all curcit boards and wires are secured very well. I can fault its construction one bit?
Is it because it does not have any bling? Or rubber grips?

PErlease...you think it looks 'pro?'. It doesn't even have an adjustable wheel.

Non telemerty recivers for the TQi are $30 and $37 for the telemerty ones that's cheap right?

Yeh, not bad. You see you're the one here comparing the TQI to the radio here, I'm not (my whole point from the start). If I really wanted to ridicule the TQi's features and price, I'd point out the Flysky GT3b and c, which are much cheaper than the tqi and have all the features that matter without an apple device. Their receivers are 8 bucks. Who needs telemetry?

Ok I better stop I've got heapse more to say, but I've been bitten by TLDR to many times now?
Last 2 question what does this mean, I hope u not trying to take the piss
''The fact that it fulfills your needs adequately does not surprise me, and more power to you''
Not at all, I'm supporting you, in saying that nobody 'needs' the flysky or a futaba to control a RC car. Someof us just like to use more 'serious' equipment than an RTR traxxas radio.

If u have the 4pk why would u buy this radio?
I have a 3pk lightly customized, 15 years old.
You'll look back on this in a few years (maybe sooner) and wonder what on earth you were trying to argue about. These radios are in different classes aimed at different needs. The TQi is for traxxas guys who want some telemetry and settings through their apple devices, the flysky is for people who want a fully featured racing radio for a good price.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 AM
cumquat

i get what he means by too light. i've never held the tqi (and dont plan to) but if you hold something you think should have some heft and it doesnt, it feels awkward and unpleasent. also, solid construction doesnt mean it LOOKS it. there's lots of thing that look like they'll break if a butterfly breaths on them yet they can take 3 smacks from a 12 pound sledgehammer.

they are in a similar price range. while the sticker prices are vastly different, they are close when you add a new ithingie, which someone like me would need to fully utilize (i refuse to buy used electronics of this type). and at such a price, the features dont justify the cost.

as far as his comment about the traxxas radio working for you, i think he simply meant that you dont take the hobby quite as seriously as others. specifically, you dont see the merit in a $500 radio, while others do. for your purpose, the tqi is sufficient.

now on a more relevant comparison, the tqi vs this radio, there is no comparison. this radio devastates the traxxas. and there is 1 simple reason. no accessories required to reach full potential. it has all features available out of the box whereas the tqi doesnt. you may argue that it does, but the simple fact is the traxxas lacks any kind of screen, which makes any programming a PITA. to the point that many will probably ignore the features. add an iwhatchamacallit and you are now competing with the 4pl at the low end in price.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 AM
iexion

Anything that requires you to buy an apple product which will also require you to purchase a two year contract with a cellular wireless provider isnt something im going to look at ever again. Ive owned and used the dam traxxas transmitter (E-Revo) its soul purpose is to get the wheels moving and to turn the front two wheels.
I own and USE a Flysky GT3B. The only thing the GT3b lacks over the traxxas TQ is batteries (8 vs 4). But again with either transmitter im using rechargeable batteries anyways...

When you require some form of remotely decent performance you'll want to upgrade far away from any TQ radio. Period!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I wish I had the kind of money to say who cares about a measly $150...
Old 02-02-2013, 11:33 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I wish I had the kind of money to say who cares about a measly $150...
ditto
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM
phmaximus

Don't care any more, moving on
Old 02-02-2013, 05:47 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i get what he means by too light. i've never held the tqi (and dont plan to) but if you hold something you think should have some heft and it doesnt, it feels awkward and unpleasent. also, solid construction doesnt mean it LOOKS it. there's lots of thing that look like they'll break if a butterfly breaths on them yet they can take 3 smacks from a 12 pound sledgehammer.

they are in a similar price range. while the sticker prices are vastly different, they are close when you add a new ithingie, which someone like me would need to fully utilize (i refuse to buy used electronics of this type). and at such a price, the features dont justify the cost.

as far as his comment about the traxxas radio working for you, i think he simply meant that you dont take the hobby quite as seriously as others. specifically, you dont see the merit in a $500 radio, while others do. for your purpose, the tqi is sufficient.

now on a more relevant comparison, the tqi vs this radio, there is no comparison. this radio devastates the traxxas. and there is 1 simple reason. no accessories required to reach full potential. it has all features available out of the box whereas the tqi doesnt. you may argue that it does, but the simple fact is the traxxas lacks any kind of screen, which makes any programming a PITA. to the point that many will probably ignore the features. add an iwhatchamacallit and you are now competing with the 4pl at the low end in price.

im starting to see that, and yes with out a ipod/iphone docked everything is PITA For people that allready have a Iphone or ipod touch its not a big deal.
in fact most owners think there is some WOW factor and coolness that there phone can dock with there controller
Just rember the ipod/iphone, is alot more than a screen. where the FS screen is just a old single touch screen from the early 90s with a very low resolution.
wonder if its even 256 colours?

Over all the FS is a better controller.
but the Tqi telemerty is far more advance on the Tqi than anything els on the market, FS, Spectrum whatever

one of the top points for the FS is the frame rate, and i rember not that long ago Foxy was advising a RCU member that controllers with high frame rates have no noticable preformance increase.

So really what makes the controller so good, i can only assume its the comfort adjustments?
i mean the increased frame rate is arguable noticable
the extra electronic features are arguably useable
Lipo is a matter of oppinion.....

I dont know, thats why im asking

Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: iexion

Anything that requires you to buy an apple product which will also require you to purchase a two year contract with a cellular wireless provider isnt something im going to look at ever again. Ive owned and used the dam traxxas transmitter (E-Revo) its soul purpose is to get the wheels moving and to turn the front two wheels.
I own and USE a Flysky GT3B. The only thing the GT3b lacks over the traxxas TQ is batteries (8 vs 4). But again with either transmitter im using rechargeable batteries anyways...

When you require some form of remotely decent performance you'll want to upgrade far away from any TQ radio. Period!
u dont need a contract with a ipod touch???
u dont need a contract with a iphone????
ipods dont use a cellular network, they are wifi
iphones can be brought outright
Dont reccomend using rechargables in a 4 battery controller thats only 4.8v where its ment to be 6v, it will go flat realy fast. Myself I use the optional traxxas 5cell hump pack, it supplys 6v and is rechargeable.

Just wondering what preformance upgrade would a "better" radio give me? will it make my car faster? steering more responsive? longer range? im intrested to know?

the reson I went to the Tqi, is because it can easly be upgrade, modeded, and can controll 5ch
ive funlly upgraded mine with docking base iphone/ipod/ipad and ive decked out 3 cars with sensors. ive moded the 3ch so its a 3 posi switch for use with a winch on a crawler, reverse on a revo, lights on a drift car,, and I use all 5 ch on some cars. another crawler i have uses 3ch for lights, 4tch to turn on rear steering, 5ch to reverse rear steering direction. allso im setting up a Dessert truck to use the 4ch for bumper lights and 5ch for roof lights.

most of the things i use the the TQi are more for scale bashers. There is no other pistol grip radio that can controll 5ch, and i find the telemerty sometimes usefull .

Someday i plan to use a TQi to controll a scale comp crawler with winch, DIG and 2 speed. I can think of any controller in history with a pistol grip that could controll all that.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: iexion

u dont need a contract with a ipod touch???
u dont need a contract with a iphone????
ipods dont use a cellular network, they are wifi
iphones can be brought outright
Dont reccomend using rechargables in a 4 battery controller thats only 4.8v where its ment to be 6v, it will go flat realy fast. Myself I use the optional traxxas 5cell hump pack, it supplys 6v and is rechargeable.

Just wondering what preformance upgrade would a ''better'' radio give me? will it make my car faster? steering more responsive? longer range? im intrested to know?

the reson I went to the Tqi, is because it can easly be upgrade, modeded, and can controll 5ch
ive funlly upgraded mine with docking base iphone/ipod/ipad and ive decked out 3 cars with sensors. ive moded the 3ch so its a 3 posi switch for use with a winch on a crawler, reverse on a revo, lights on a drift car,, and I use all 5 ch on some cars. another crawler i have uses 3ch for lights, 4tch to turn on rear steering, 5ch to reverse rear steering direction. allso im setting up a Dessert truck to use the 4ch for bumper lights and 5ch for roof lights.

most of the things i use the the TQi are more for scale bashers. There is no other pistol grip radio that can controll 5ch, and i find the telemerty sometimes usefull .

Someday i plan to use a TQi to controll a scale comp crawler with winch, DIG and 2 speed. I can think of any controller in history with a pistol grip that could controll all that.

...Im not even going to get into it
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 AM
phmaximus

Well I've decided Im going to get one of these controllers for my 5ive and 8ight, and keep my bashers using the TQi, I use the telemerty way to much.
If it's crap and there is no preformance gains over the TQi I'm blaming Foxy an the rest of u guys

Seriously this thing better be good..... Kidding

When I get it, I'll strip it down and compare its construction to a rtr controller. Then go from there.
As far as a RTR controller I may aswell use the TQi as a base line, well after all it's just a kids RTR controller right?
Then I'll move onto checking each electrical component for quality, curcit board printing, solder joints, internail wire gauge, resistor tolerances, curcit board mounts, screen protection, wire harnesses, ease of screen replacement, switch quality, anything really.

Once Ive got a few good highres photos then I'll get some videos of it operation and check out its features and ease of use.

I've been thinking, why talk about it, when I coud just buy one and do my own Comparison and Scrutineering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.