Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Building kits is fun....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building kits is fun....

This is my second build, and I love it as much - it not more - than my first. This Mugen MBX6R is quality. Wow!

Some guys laugh at how slow I go, but I like to understand everything I'm doing and WHYI'm doing it during the build. This pillow-ball suspension has been very different, and I LOVE it. Gotta figure out a way to measure camber, but have a few ideas. Only about a 1/4 finished, and know there are going to be some hiccups and 'dad-cursing' along the way, but man I go into another world whenbuilding these things. It's incredibly cerebral.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24230.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	1860084   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44204.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	1860085  
Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Building kits is fun....

think some parts are missing in the second pic

personally I'm one of the speed builders that goes from box of parts to fully running in like 2 hours (3 if I feel like paining the body)
I also have more fun building than running

Will say main reason I am a speed builder is I HATE it when I don't finish a project asap, I mean it bugs me when I try and go to sleep, and therefore can't sleep cause I'm up just thinking of what I need to do.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

personally I'm one of the speed builders that goes from box of parts to fully running in like 2 hours (3 if I feel like paining the body)

Will say main reason I am a speed builder is I HATE it when I don't finish a project asap, I mean it bugs me when I try and go to sleep, and therefore can't sleep cause I'm up just thinking of what I need to do.
Heh-heh...I'm sure I'll get like that eventually. For my existing cars I can tear them down and re-build in no time. Just something cool about taking my sweet time on anything new.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Dads like rc too

This to me is one of the greatest downfalls of this hobby. RTR has introduced some people into this hobby that are just way in over their heads. It's great that a teenage kid can go out and get a complete setup for under $200, but they don't learn how it goes together or more importantly, how to fix it when it breaks. Building a kit can certainly be a little intimidating the first time, but usually once you're finished it all seems clear. Unfortunately my budget typically only allows RTR in my house, but even those I tear down pretty thoroughly and set up everything the way it was supposed to be.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

The absolute best method to setup is to use a setup system such as the ones offered by hudy. A less expensive option is the RPM camber gauge.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

This is my second build, and I love it as much - it not more - than my first. This Mugen MBX6R is quality. Wow!

Some guys laugh at how slow I go, but I like to understand everything I'm doing and WHYI'm doing it during the build. This pillow-ball suspension has been very different, and I LOVE it. Gotta figure out a way to measure camber, but have a few ideas. Only about a 1/4 finished, and know there are going to be some hiccups and 'dad-cursing' along the way, but man I go into another world whenbuilding these things. It's incredibly cerebral.

Always good to build slow and make sure everything is set right, diffs shimmed well, nothing leaky, no stripped screws, no slop, ect

Alot of the time novice builders will try to put a kit together as quick as possible to have it ready in the very new future for a race or impatience to bash it. Then they realise they didn't shim the diff well or forgot to put diff oil and have to rebuild half the truck again.

Its not every day or month or for some every few months you get to build a brand new shiny, clean rc from scratch, might as well enjoy it, go slow and get it right the first time

Old 03-10-2013, 06:10 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha
Its not every day or month or for some every few months you get to build a brand new shiny, clean rc from scratch, might as well enjoy it, go slow and get it right the first time
Well said. Below is a little vid showing some progress of the build. It's cheesy, but I'm having SO much fun with it! Seriously, if anyone on here has waivered whether or not to get a kit, it's the meccaexperience of"the hobby". ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVgXTDsP-aQ
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM
JohnP2

Below are some pics of its current state. Pretty much a roller without the shocks. Going my my LHS tomorrow to discuss battery setup (I want something I can mount front and back).

i8Tweety (i.e. Sylvester)....thanks for the tip on the RPM camber gauge. I ordered and just received it tonight. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71113.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	1862387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28338.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	1862388  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

hehe im the same. I cant rest till its all complete there are little voices that say do it, do it.
Its easy to tell if I have a new car.... ill have a palm blister from my stubby screwdriver
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM
ejc34710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss the days when there were no "RTR" vehicles. I can look back on so many models i've had over the years and remember building every one of them. From filling the xxt "Hydra-Drive" with fluid to building the 1/10th spectacule that was the Parma V8. I have quite a few good memories of my dad building ALOT of those rcs with me. The good ol days.......
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Building is great, I probably wouldn't still be in the hobby if it weren't for kits. I love building the well engineered race kits, high end Tamiya models, and alloy 1/5 scale stuff. I have a couple 1/8 buggies that I've assembled and barely ran. Honestly I spend more time building, designing, or modifying than actually driving. Most of my operational time is spent with RC boats and planes anyway. Which I find more fun lately than driving, but working on the cars is more fun than working on boats or planes.