Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Brushless Motor Surging.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM
FuelCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Motor Surging.

Ran the vxl rustler yesterday, started with a Nimh battery. After a few laps I pulled in and noticed the car surging, with the throttle in neutral it was trying to reverse in a jerky movement. Pulling the throttle a mm or two stopped it. Figured I just had to reset my throttle settings, had a lipo on the charger and was going to reset the throttle settings. Forgot all about it and ran the car on the lipo and at no point did it surge or try and move while the throttle was in neutral.

Would like to know if the surging is what is referred to as “cogging” and why it was happening on the Nimh and not the Lipo battery?

Cars a standard VXL with Velineon brushless, Nimh is the standard Traxxas 7 cell, and the Lipo is an RFI 3s 25c. LVD was on for the Lipo and off for the Nimh. Surging only started after car was warm.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:50 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Brushless Motor Surging.

ORIGINAL: FuelCoupe

Ran the vxl rustler yesterday, started with a Nimh battery. After a few laps I pulled in and noticed the car surging, with the throttle in neutral it was trying to reverse in a jerky movement. Pulling the throttle a mm or two stopped it. Figured I just had to reset my throttle settings, had a lipo on the charger and was going to reset the throttle settings. Forgot all about it and ran the car on the lipo and at no point did it surge or try and move while the throttle was in neutral.

Would like to know if the surging is what is referred to as “cogging” and why it was happening on the Nimh and not the Lipo battery?

Cars a standard VXL with Velineon brushless, Nimh is the standard Traxxas 7 cell, and the Lipo is an RFI 3s 25c. LVD was on for the Lipo and off for the Nimh. Surging only started after car was warm.
cogging is a jerky movement when you just bearly get on the throttle. It is more likely to happen with a nimh than a lipo. Gearing will also effect how bad it is.
But it shouldnt do it when the throttle in in nuetral. Your throttle trim on the radio may have been bumped, causing it to go slight reverse when in nuetral position. The very little throttle can cause cogging.

Re program your ESC, and take note of your throttle trim setting on the radio. As long as it isnt cogging at speed and the motor/esc are not getting to hot, there is no issue other than your throttle trim having been alittle off.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM
FuelCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brushless Motor Surging.

Did check throttle trim and tried adjusting, kept doing it.  Not saying that isnt the problem tho, it is a 2.4ghz so  it could be in the programing side. Will reprogram the esc  and reset the throttle points and see how I go. Thanks for the clarification on cogging, still learning all the electric terminology.