Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

integy really dropping the ball!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default integy really dropping the ball!

so ive been working on a rustler vxl with massive 6' tall tires.
I had one integy CVD axle kicking around...so I bought another set off ebay. Stock driveshafts wont last 1 battery pack with these tires.

I got the package a few days ago and went to install one....
Its about .5 inches to long!
Label on package says rustler/stampede xl-5 and vxl.
In design it matches the integy shaft I already had. The old one is 4.5 inches but the new one is 5 inches.

I contacted the ebay seller and told him the problem. I asked if he had other packages and if he could measure the length. He said all the ones he has are 4.9 inches.
But thats just to long.

I dont get how these CVDs got on the market. I have stock arms and stock hubs ect, but you cannot move the hub upright with the driveshaft in place cause of it being to long.

It just blows my mind.

Now I gotta send them back to get my money. I dont blame the seller, its integy's fault for selling a product that doesnt work!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93060.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1888202  
Old 06-02-2013, 04:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Default RE: integy really dropping the ball!

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I had one integy CVD axle kicking around...so I bought another set off ebay. Stock driveshafts wont last 1 battery pack with these tires.

In design it matches the integy shaft I already had. The old one is 4.5 inches but the new one is 5 inches.

I contacted the ebay seller and told him the problem. I asked if he had other packages and if he could measure the length. He said all the ones he has are 4.9 inches.
But thats just to long.

I dont get how these CVDs got on the market. I have stock arms and stock hubs ect, but you cannot move the hub upright with the driveshaft in place cause of it being to long.

It just blows my mind.

Now I gotta send them back to get my money. I dont blame the seller, its integy's fault for selling a product that doesnt work!
So basically that the shafts are up to integy standards?
You must remember their business motto is selling things that just don't work

Sounds almost as bad as one other company from china (can't think of their name) ordered a bearing kit for a RC 2 bearings out of 18 fit, ordered something else, and none of the parts fit wish I could remember their name.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

usually their stuff at least installs in your truck....then breaks later on!
There are 2 different styles on ebay right now for the integy cvd's. One is 4.8 and the other 4.9 inches long.
They dont fit, not even close.
Granted, the older ones (had ones 2 years back on 1/5 stampede) were a touch to short if you had your suspension fully raised, but they only needed to at .1 inche...not half an inch.

It sucks, I really wanted to have Mega Rustler running by next weekend!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83572.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1888308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53859.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1888309  
Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were looking for cvds for a high stress application, so you bought integy brand ones?
Sometimes it really is worth buying a higher end product, like MIP brand ones.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

You were looking for cvds for a high stress application, so you bought integy brand ones?
Sometimes it really is worth buying a higher end product, like MIP brand ones.
MIP CVDs are weak, too. I broke them in less than an hour with my RC10GT beast. Went back to stock dog bones, just replace axles, outdrives and stubs when they start to show significant wear (usually 12-15 hours of use).

If the OP wants durability, he needs to consider an upgrade like the one I'm sorting out for the GT. 1/8 scale universal joint shafts.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude.  SIX INCH TIRES?    Are you TRYING to break stuff??  A Rustler wasn't designed to take wheels that big.  That's gonna put immense stress on the driveline.  Stick with dogbones.  They're cheap, and are stronger than most CVDs. Stronger, not smoother. And cheaper.  Good luck keeping the tranny in one piece too.  I hope you're at least gearing that puppy down a good deal.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Dude. SIX INCH TIRES? Are you TRYING to break stuff?? A Rustler wasn't designed to take wheels that big. That's gonna put immense stress on the driveline. Stick with dogbones. They're cheap, and are stronger than most CVDs. Stronger, not smoother. And cheaper. Good luck keeping the tranny in one piece too. I hope you're at least gearing that puppy down a good deal.
geared down with a 2000ish KV motor.
Are there dogbones that work on a rustler?
Ive had these tires on my 1/5 stampede. The CVD's I had at the time worked except that they were to short (suspension was jacked up) and they would pop out of the drive cups.

Not too worried about the trans. Rusty trans is fairly tough. Only one I broke was doing forward flipx on a VXL by pulling a wheely and then hitting a speed bump. Worked fine the 1st 20 times. 21st time it stripped the planitary gears.
Mostly worried that wheel hubs, links or shocks will break due to the huge tires.

My buddy had MIP driveshafts snap on his 4x4 slash on day 1.

I have seen these on ebay, and they look promising....the design of stock vxl shafts isnt the problem, the material is. these are the same basic design...just out of metal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271215472761...84.m1438.l2649

See vid, same tires, vxl trans, more weight, vxl on 3s:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIndcql3mj4[/youtube]
Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 PM
DieHarder

Dude! 6 FOOT tall tires! What, are you building a monster truck?!?!
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

But thats just to long.

It just blows my mind.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 PM
phmaximus

what about slash 4x4 shafts?
jato shafts?
x01 shafts?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

what about slash 4x4 shafts?
jato shafts?
x01 shafts?
slash 4x4 shafts break on the slash 4x4....LOL.
dont know about xo1 shafts.

Plastic just wont cut it IMO. These tires are not just 6'' tall, but nearly 3 inches wide as well. thats a large contact patch which means good traction. combine that with the 2900kv 1/8 scale motor going into it and the either 2s or 3s that will be used for power and alot of stress will go to those driveshafts.

I have a set of stock shafts and will run them to see what happens. but I dont expect them to last long. Ill have to save up for those beafy metal ones I found on ebay.
Traxxas needs to drop the plastic sliders and go to dogbones already!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

WOW!  Those big fat metal drive shafts look SIC!  I would hope that they'd work for you. Keep an eye on the pins that hold them together, tho.