Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Car won't start, tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 AM
munchug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start, tried everything

Yesterday I bought the "HPI Trophy 4.6 Truggy 2.4GHz RTR" car.

I read through the manual and watched the DVD that came with the car and did everything as he did up to a point. I filled it with fuel, put it on a box so it was in the air and started it, everything was great. I let it burn away 1 tank as the DVD said and that's where I stopped. (stupid me)

I took it to a local park and mostly stayed on the path quite slow but I got a little over excited and went full throttle atleast 4 times (only for a few seconds as i was scared of crashing it), I did this until I burnt most of my tank, I had a very small piece left that I wanted to save so I could drive it home. I was about to leave so I went to start the car when the pullstart came up/out of the casing but wasn't actually detached from the car it just didn't get pulled back in, I placed the wire back in a few mm and then it randomly sucked it back in like normal, went to start it again and it just wouldn't start - the actual pullstart feels perfectly fine and hasn't come out since (I've pulled it atleast 20+ times today) so I think that is perfectly fine. (E.G if you stand near the exhaust as you pull it you can feel air coming out of the exhaust showing it's actually doing it's job). After not being able to start it I went home, woke up today and tried to start it and it still won't start..

Woke up, glow starter is fully charged so I tried to start the car - didn't work.

Heated up the engine with a hair dryer - didn't work.

Checked if the engine was flooded by putting it upside down and trying to start it - didn't work.

Took out theglow plugand put it into the glow starter and it "lit up" (got hot) so that is fine.

I primmed the engine - didn't do anything for it.

Fuel tubes look fine to me and I can see fuel inside of them.

Images of the car I took that may help:

http://i.imgur.com/Xl3pYIp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/s3Ud4li.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yXsQbjK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/V2ELFzC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BuzxMmE.jpg

Thanks to any advice you guys can give me.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Car won't start, tried everything

You did a big no no, you always do a proper break in. If you ran it as easy as you say, your engine may still be ok but it's very possible that it wont last near as long since you didn't break it in. It should still run fine at this point though. Check the gap on the carb, make sure it's at about 1mm - 1 1/2 mm and try again.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 AM
t-max97

Also, the glow plug should be bright glowing orange, if it's just orange a little then you need a new glow plug if your igniter is charged.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:59 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Also, the glow plug should be bright glowing orange, if it's just orange a little then you need a new glow plug if your igniter is charged.
and it is VERY likely that driving the car nearly full throttle when breakin wasn't done and motor wasn't tuned for power caused the glow plug to burn out prematurely. Very good chance you need a new glow plug.
Get a new one, lean out your high speed setting 1/4 or 1/2 turn (depening on what instructions say) and continue the breakin process. It is ok to put the rc around in a figure 8 for the next couple of tanks...but no hitting the throttle and no start/stop driving. Just gentle figure 8's. With each tank you lean out the high speed needle some. by tank 4 or 5 you will be able to tune the low speed and high speed needles for proper running....then you will be able to open her up without burning up glow plugs.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When u have been trying to start it how do u prime it?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

I'm in the bad glow plug camp. Try that first. Not doing a proper break-in will shorten the life of the engine, but not kill it instantly.

In the future, a good rule of thumb is at least 1 litre of fuel per cubic inch for break-in. So a .15 gets 150cc break-in, a .28 gets 280cc, etc. Some guys like to do much more, but I've found that this usually equates to about 2 tanks, and has been sufficient. You don't need to idle it through a whole tank, either; a few minutes of idle to warm up and do intial seating. I do all of my breaking in on the bench with a fan, and carefully monitor temps, using compressed air to keep them down during high revving at final break-in. I never let them get over 230* during break-in, and always let them cool completely between tanks for proper thermal cycle seating.

After idling a little while, just start taking it up a little at a time for a couple seconds at a time, followed by a few seconds of idle. Let your ears tell you, because % throttle is inaccurate to say the least. With some experience, you can easily estimate the RPM by sound with respectable accuracy. The increases in RPM should be linear to the break-in time, i.e. should be rapping to 25% of red line at 25% of break-in fuel usage, 50% @ 50% and so on.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: Sixtysixdeuce

I'm in the bad glow plug camp. Try that first. Not doing a proper break-in will shorten the life of the engine, but not kill it instantly.

In the future, a good rule of thumb is at least 1 litre of fuel per cubic inch for break-in. So a .15 gets 150cc break-in, a .28 gets 280cc, etc. Some guys like to do much more, but I've found that this usually equates to about 2 tanks, and has been sufficient. You don't need to idle it through a whole tank, either; a few minutes of idle to warm up and do intial seating. I do all of my breaking in on the bench with a fan, and carefully monitor temps, using compressed air to keep them down during high revving at final break-in. I never let them get over 230* during break-in, and always let them cool completely between tanks for proper thermal cycle seating.

After idling a little while, just start taking it up a little at a time for a couple seconds at a time, followed by a few seconds of idle. Let your ears tell you, because % throttle is inaccurate to say the least. With some experience, you can easily estimate the RPM by sound with respectable accuracy. The increases in RPM should be linear to the break-in time, i.e. should be rapping to 25% of red line at 25% of break-in fuel usage, 50% @ 50% and so on.
Two tanks is not enough, the last engine I broke in woke up around 3/4 of a gallon lol.