Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What would be the better deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be the better deal?

Hey guys. I'm looking to see what would be a better deal. Would it be a better deal to buy a roller (used or new) and install brushless electronics, or in the same price to buy a brand new truck with brushed electronics in it? I know, its a dumb/weird question, but still. Its been eating at me for awhile.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What would be the better deal?

Depends
If you plan for box stock, and never plan to do anything hard on it then RTR is fine

If you plan on modifying it, and running it like you stole it having a better setup then comes in stock RC's is the best option.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Microz

Well right now I want to get the feel for RC Cars again...this is my 4th maybe 5th attempt to see if I am doing something wrong. So I'm looking for the most durable, fun, but cheapest option in really. I mean this time around I'm going to take my rc car out to different bash spots and maybe the track every once in awhile. But then again I'm not sure if that will hold my interest...if it doesn't, then I for sure know that RC cars aren't for me. Haven't tried the scaler/crawler side of things yet though, and I was thinking of maybe a losi micro trail trekker and then doing some backyard scaling.

I just ranted on didnt I?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Microz

Idk how to edit posts on here, so I'll just make a new post if that is okay:
I also found a good deal on an Evader EXT (NOT EXT2) on another forums classifieds section. Is the Evader EXT a good platform?

EDIT: odd...the edit button didn't show up on my last post.

Anyway, the Evader EXT that I found a good deal on says it has the below...are those good upgrades? (I know tires aren't much of an upgrade )

"Has upgraded Proline Road Hawg tires and aluminum shock caps up front. Has ball bearing upgrade and also upgraded CVD's"

Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Eman77

I'm thinking that if you're trying to get back into RC (or are new at it), buying used opens you up to too many potential issues. Sure, you could get a gem of a deal, but you won't know the vehicle inside and out (as if you built a kit) - and even if you go the RTR (not kit) route, you could get a vehicle that has hidden issues like differentials or transmission, leaky shocks, things that will really turn you off the hobby then if you started new with everything working initially.

You can get some great deals used, but also could be inheriting someone else's problems (whether they know it or not).
Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Microz

Well right now I want to get the feel for RC Cars again...this is my 4th maybe 5th attempt to see if I am doing something wrong. So I'm looking for the most durable, fun, but cheapest option in really. I mean this time around I'm going to take my rc car out to different bash spots and maybe the track every once in awhile. But then again I'm not sure if that will hold my interest...if it doesn't, then I for sure know that RC cars aren't for me. Haven't tried the scaler/crawler side of things yet though, and I was thinking of maybe a losi micro trail trekker and then doing some backyard scaling.

I just ranted on didnt I?
Those 3 things don't go together at all

As for what fits its hard to say without trying all
I own truggies which some people find are the pinnacle of RCing as they are super stable, etc... Where I kind of find them boring, and prefer the huge, unstable, High COG, lanky behemoths that are MT's like the Savages as I dunno I find them more fun for some reason.
Scalers can be fun I own a SCX10, and I quite like it just wish I had someplace around that would give me some challenge for driving it(that goes for all my RC's actually)

One aspect of RCing I can honestly say that isn't for me is flying. I like heli's but for some reason just can't get a grasp on controlling them I guess it might be doe to not having a steady hand cause I usually can't kep the vertical thrust control steady. Airplanes... I don't have the patience to assemble them last airplane I tried assembling turned into a mutant Stampede airboat styled mess(which oddly works very well)

As Eman77 said used is a gamble. I've got some excellent deals, and I've also been reamed on a few.

As for editing posts its currently on a 5 min timer as they didn't want people editing old posts that they already copied to the new servers. I asked, and they said they are planning on the 60 day timer that we had prior once moves done
Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Microz

Thanks guys! Looks like theres a lot to look out for. I mean I'm not entirely new to RC at all...I have been flying planes for the past 2 years and have a good bit of RC car experience mixed in there. The cars just haven't kept my attention for long because all I used to do was drive up and down the yard, and then I would shove them away or they would break and I would shove them away. I then sold all my old RC cars because I thought I was done with them for good, but the urge to drive a RC car keeps hitting me. I also have a helicopter urge right now.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

buy a new ecx torment and pick up an extra battery (total cost...$220)
Then, after a couple of months install a ezrun brushless system.

as mentioned, used can be a headache. Also, some used models may be older ones which will Require an upgrade or 2 in order to handle brushless.
Then there is also the issue of picking the right kv motor and gearing for said roller.
Now, if the roller is say a SC10 or something along those lines, then dropping in a bl system is no problem.

you can also hold onto your cash and keep an eye out for a sweet deal. Ive bought a radio ready brushless SC10 for as low as $125 before. Gotten a RTR redcat volcano epx pro for $85 shipped. Deals are hard to find and its best to check out picks and ask questions before jumping on it.
In pics, is the model clean? does any of the wiring look wrong or messy? How is the tread on the tires? Is the body all beat up. Bodies and tires can be expensive parts to replace. messy wiring or just dirty can mean it wasn't well cared for.
Another big clue is the detail of the ad. If they call the model by the wrong name (traxxas spelled traxxis) or refer to the motor as brushless when it only has 2 wires coming out of it, then its likely the owner has little rc knowledge and the model they are selling could be rough, not taken care of or abused.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

as mentioned, used can be a headache. Also, some used models may be older ones which will Require an upgrade or 2 in order to handle brushless.
Then there is also the issue of picking the right kv motor and gearing for said roller.
Now, if the roller is say a SC10 or something along those lines, then dropping in a bl system is no problem.

you can also hold onto your cash and keep an eye out for a sweet deal. Ive bought a radio ready brushless SC10 for as low as $125 before. Gotten a RTR redcat volcano epx pro for $85 shipped. Deals are hard to find and its best to check out picks and ask questions before jumping on it.
In pics, is the model clean? does any of the wiring look wrong or messy? How is the tread on the tires? Is the body all beat up. Bodies and tires can be expensive parts to replace. messy wiring or just dirty can mean it wasn't well cared for.
Another big clue is the detail of the ad. If they call the model by the wrong name (traxxas spelled traxxis) or refer to the motor as brushless when it only has 2 wires coming out of it, then its likely the owner has little rc knowledge and the model they are selling could be rough, not taken care of or abused.
Thanks! That doesn't sound like a bad idea. And thanks for the tips on buying used as well. I think I will stay away from buying used for now. I like the torment idea though.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Thanks! That doesn't sound like a bad idea. And thanks for the tips on buying used as well. I think I will stay away from buying used for now. I like the torment idea though.

oh, almost forgot, the new version of the torment can be found on ebay for $150 or $160. Add a $30 battery from hobbypartz.com and a $5 battery plug and still under $200.
Torment IMO is just as good as the slash. slash has more upgrade parts available, but with my torment the only parts I had to upgrade (after a good deal of use) were the stock steering servo and the driveshafts (Same style as the slash)
Later I installed a losi 12t ESC so I could run a 2s lipo. that upped the speed of the 15t HPI motor I was using(nearly identical to the stock 15t it comes with) and then eventually I put a brushless system. didn't run it that way for long as brushed was easier to use on the race track.
Ran a brushless for some time in the ecx boost tho. had no issues with it.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Eman77

If you got a bit bored running them in the grass in the past, find some dirt. Even a baseball infield. Tear it around there for a while, find some dirt jumps in other locations, and you'll have a blast!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Microz

Thanks guys! I probably do need some dirt. The grass was just too boring.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find driving in grass boring too, something about having an offroad car on dirt makes it more exciting
Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

I find driving in grass boring too, something about having an offroad car on dirt makes it more exciting
many models lose a lot of speed (or at least acceleration) driving the grass as well. I know my brushless sc10 is slower in even freshly mowed grass...wheels just cant get much traction.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Microz

Yeah I think the dirt would be much better. Will a public school baseball diamond be fine to run on? I'm thinking of using my high school's diamond if I decide on getting a truck....not sure if it would be against any type of rule? Anyone ever have any problems running on one before?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM
willig10

How about this? real good deal. pm me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85165.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1904947  
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM
willig10

by the way that is a mini revo brushless with heat sink on the motor. Extra parts brand new and the truck has been run on the pavement only 3 times. Everything is included in the picture.

Glenn
Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Microz

Thanks but I think I'm going to stick to buying new.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Thanks but I think I'm going to stick to buying new.
another option to consider....
thunder tiger phoenix XT pro
$200 shipped on tower hobbies
Brushless, RTR, 2.4ghz radio.
I have the buggy version. wish I had gotten the stadium truck version tho.

I had a couple of small issues out of the box with mine....and they come from the factory under geared. But slap on a bigger pinion gear and it will do 35-40mph on a 2s lipo.
No battery is included, and the ESC comes with crappy Tamiya plugs which you will want to change.

But, its a rebranded team associated T3, which is a good tough truck. Metal CVD axles, ball diff (tunable) alloy shocks and such. Made for racing (when it came out) but is a good basher as well. My phoenix buggy can take just as much abuse as my sc10 or any traxxas ive owned.

doesn't look as cool a short course truck, but its a very good value IMO.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Eman77

Yeah I think the dirt would be much better. Will a public school baseball diamond be fine to run on? I'm thinking of using my high school's diamond if I decide on getting a truck....not sure if it would be against any type of rule? Anyone ever have any problems running on one before?
I run on baseball infields too. It's a lot of fun drifting around, so no problems there. You do get dirt everywhere, but you'll get that in any fun offroad environment.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Microz

Nitrosportsandrunner - Sweet thanks! I'll check that one out.

Eman77 - Cool thanks! Have you ever run into any trouble when doing that?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Eman77

Nope, no issues. Just dusty/dirty.

It's a great place for the kids to offroad - fewer things to run into.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Nice thanks! I went flying today at my school field, and decided to look around the multiple infields they have there. It looks like there are a couple which are unused and have dead grass growing in em, so it looks like nobody would care if I ran in those! There is one that looks all nice and groomed, so I will leave that one alone.

Oh and I hate to admit this but...I blew my RC Car money on a RC heli. I was itching for both, and I found a smoking deal on a new nano CPX at amainhobbies, so I jumped on that. BUT...the RC Car comes next. Now to make some more money for a RC Car...I'm broke again.

What to do, what to do....

Old 08-01-2013, 12:57 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Nice thanks! I went flying today at my school field, and decided to look around the multiple infields they have there. It looks like there are a couple which are unused and have dead grass growing in em, so it looks like nobody would care if I ran in those! There is one that looks all nice and groomed, so I will leave that one alone.

Oh and I hate to admit this but...I blew my RC Car money on a RC heli. I was itching for both, and I found a smoking deal on a new nano CPX at amainhobbies, so I jumped on that. BUT...the RC Car comes next. Now to make some more money for a RC Car...I'm broke again.

clearly then, you need to sell an older, less used heli in order to buy another truck!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 AM
Microz

clearly then, you need to sell an older, less used heli in order to buy another truck!
Lol the problem is I already did that. I have other stuff I need to sell, so that I can make some money for a truck. After doing some research, I'm thinking of getting the Duratrax Evader EXT2 from towerhobbies. With their $15 off coupon, it can be had for $115, and then add another $25 or so for a lipo battery + low voltage alarm/cutoff. Seems like the best way in. I've heard good things about the EXT2. Any opinions?

EDIT: Looks like their free shipping offers are gone. Still, it is cheaper...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.