Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

traxxas new rock crawler...sort of

Old 08-15-2013, 04:20 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarluvr
Besides the R/C world, what company/product doesn't do what Traxxas does? My 2002 Ford Explorer was also the Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Aviator and went on till Mercury and Lincoln were closed. Now the wife's 2010 Explorer is darn near the same chassis and engine then mine. Eight years difference time wise and pretty much the same thing. Chevy,Pontiac,Saab, and Buick all had a vehicle that was just a re~bodied and badged version of the Malibu. That's just automotive, there are tons of other companies and products that are the exact same but different in price and appearance. This discussion will never end and the topic will always be the same. Just wanted to mention that over the weekend while sick as a dog, I watched a TORC truck race on SPEED and the winning driver was driving a Traxxas sponsered vehicle. Oh yeah, the driver is the CEO or sumptin of Traxxas!

You are dead right. manufactures will always share parts and designs, Its just the way it is. There are a lot of reasons why they do this the do it that im not going to get into,,,

If manufactures did not do this we wouldn't have 2/3 of the different vehicles we have today.

consumers like options when buying products, that's why we have all these different styles of rc cars.

imagine in the early days if people thought that way (its just the same old car with a new body and slight upgrade mentality)
we would never of seen 1/8 buggies... after all it was just a nitro TC with a buggy body.

same as 1/10 TC's they evolved the other way around buggy turned car.

ever company I can think of do the exact same thing as traxxas for sharing parts.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:25 AM
turok007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

traxxas are stuck now as they use the same parts on almost everything. so they will resist building anything new. and there is only one winner with all money they make. the sponsors.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by butt_housed247
because traxxas has 2 chassis and 900 cars based off each. and now they have the la trax line which in time im sure will be doing the same thing off the same traxxas chassis.
after a manufacture has been using the same chassis for several years people are board with it and want something totally new. traxxas thinks they can pull the wool over everybody's eyes by simply changing the body and wheels. it's starting to annoy the hell out of people. they (traxxas) needs to start with a blank sheet of paper and design what the people want. they aren't doing that, which again, is annoying the hell out of people. it's as if traxxas isn't listening and doesn't care.
as long as iv been in RC traxxas has not released anything the people have been wanting. they did the XO1. nobody ever asked for one of those. they did the funny car. nobody ever asked for one of those. but the entire time iv been here people have been asking for a rock crawler. all traxxas has done is rehash something that sort of looks the part, but in reality it's just a monster truck. it's as if they think they know what we need more than we do and they are trying to shut us up for as little effort and cost as possible. people are getting fed up with it.
the argument isn't about using the same chassis over and over and over. it's about using an old chassis that people feel has run its course over and over and over, and are sick of seeing it rehashed. they need to do something 100% new that the people have been wanting.
Actually, only forum goers are annoyed. Everyone else who doesn't surf forums doesn't care and will still buy it. They flyin off the shelf at the LHS!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Microz
Actually, only forum goers are annoyed. Everyone else who doesn't surf forums doesn't care and will still buy it. They flyin off the shelf at the LHS!
well, not all buyers do research.
And its more likely this truck will sell well cause its a lower-cost version of the 4x4 chassis. But traxxas should have just released a brushed version of the rally-pede-slash instead of trying to make like its a crawler.
Its not that its a bad truck, its a good truck, and im sure it will sell very well. Problem is, traxxas knows this and is content to make money instead of furthering the hobby! They have the means to push the limits, build new and exciting things.
I would have bought this truck instead of my slash 4x4 a few months back...but only cause its less expensive and I could have put a cheap BL system in it and got $50 for the stock brushed system.
Traxxas is showing that they are all about the bottom line and profits and not about exciting the rc community. The latrax is a POS imo and will sell a lot and people will end up spending even more to buy the hop up parts it should have come with in the 1st place (seriously, friction shocks on a $150 rc?) Perfect example of traxxas making money at the expense of many a newb. I seriously doubt you will see any long-time RC'ers buying that thing.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 PM
BMKTW2

I own 5 vintage Traxxas RCs. I love having vintage traxxas because the parts are still being produced in the slash, rustler and others.
Traxxas stopped caring about making new stuff a long time ago. Now all they make is money. The same molds continue to crank out the same plastic parts year after year. Thank you Taiwan.
I have a bunch of RC cars/trucks and so does my brother. All brands and types... I have to admit, my fave RC ever is the Traxxas TCP
Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Slash 4x4 architecture, it lends itself to many applications and I think they've done a good job with it. Except for the axle and shock issues. This Telluride thing is a bit of a joke though. They cheaped out the truck as much as they could, including plastic camber links(!), but somewhere in the price the buyer is paying for liscensed replicas of Kuhmo tires. Who gives a crap about replica tires or ones that have a brand name on them? I think they should've spent that liscensing money on a FJ body, the visual appeal goes alot further than any tread or writing on the tire could..
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They made it to look cool (which it does, come on, give Traxxas credit for what they do well, making good looking cars). It's obviously aimed at lower budgets, which is something Traxxas needed to do, they stuff in general is WAY overpriced.

I spat my coffee the other day when I got an email from Tower: FLASH SALE TRAXXAS STAMPEDE! I opened the mail only to see a $10 off code for $350 2wd truck?? I laughed, then felt like someone was trying to violate me.

My god, you can get a Losi 22 RTR for that... I've stopped caring what firms like HPI and Traxxas do any more, I don't actually consider them serious brands. When you cater to the instant gratification market, you lose the hobbyists, and vice versa. Their choice I guess.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Foxy

Gral is not impressed...

Other trekkies will get the ref.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gral.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1909027  

Last edited by Foxy; 08-16-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:46 PM
turok007

is the traxxas design team like this. boss walks in and says design me a brand new truck but this time think outside the box the sky is the limit. you have no barriers then he walks out but just before he does he says you have to use 99.9% of the parts we already make.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 PM
BMKTW2

Originally Posted by turok007
no barriers then he walks out but just before he does he says you have to use 99.9% of the parts we already make.
the traxxas design team:
[attach=config]1910865[/attach]

Name:	monkey_news.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1910865  
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
BMKTW2

And here is their average customer:

...just how they like them.

Last edited by BMKTW2; 08-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

while this new model is a perfectly good truck, we are frustrated because we KNOW traxxas can do better. They make plenty of profits, and fail to put that $$$ back into R&D
Its great that they are offering the slash 4x4 chassis with a brushed system. That will get it into the hands of many more people.
I just wish they would try something new.
Why didn't traxxas come up with something like the twin hammers? Id be more likely to own such a truck if I knew that my hobby shop would have parts (mine doesn't have any vaterra stuff.)
It just seems like they are all biz and no passion.
They build good stuff...and that's why I want to see MORE NEW CHASSIS designs. I don't think Im asking to much.

I like the traxxas custom SHEEP reference. Half the people I meet that own a traxxas are such newbs that they have no idea how to work on them.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the chassis the same as the Slash 4x4 ? Looks shorter at a glance Personally cant wait for the roller to end up on ebay so I can do it right. Castle, Flat Irons etc.

I do wish they would offer kits for the few that enjoy building their own cars.

Think this picture is a more "proper" representation

Name:	sheep.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1910941  
Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by Zonked
Is the chassis the same as the Slash 4x4 ? Looks shorter at a glance Personally cant wait for the roller to end up on ebay so I can do it right. Castle, Flat Irons etc.

I do wish they would offer kits for the few that enjoy building their own cars.

it has the pede 4x4 center chassis, not the slash, so it is shorter. Probly did that to get the scale they wanted.
youll notice It has the pede 4x4 shock guards as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM
butt_housed247

Originally Posted by Microz
idk man. where i live slashes are semi popular with beginners. i see a revo once in a blue moon. iv seen a couple maxx trucks and a few rustlers. i don't even know if iv ever seen a stampede 4x4. every time i walk into a hobby shop the traxxas section looks well stocked with parts and cars. but if you pay attention you'll notice nothing ever moves. sales seem to be slow. and i witness a lot of traxxas and beginner hate out here to man.
a lot of peoples attitudes remind me of some of the localism stuff from the surfing world.
guy 1: "you surf"
guy 2. "no"
guy 1. "good, don't start"
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by butt_housed247
idk man. where i live slashes are semi popular with beginners. i see a revo once in a blue moon. iv seen a couple maxx trucks and a few rustlers. i don't even know if iv ever seen a stampede 4x4. every time i walk into a hobby shop the traxxas section looks well stocked with parts and cars. but if you pay attention you'll notice nothing ever moves. sales seem to be slow. and i witness a lot of traxxas and beginner hate out here to man.
a lot of peoples attitudes remind me of some of the localism stuff from the surfing world.
guy 1: "you surf"
guy 2. "no"
guy 1. "good, don't start"
I got a pede 4X4 its not a bad vehicle at all, just for the price its value just isn't there IMO. There are other brands where you can get more durable RC's that are more capable for close to the cost, or just a little more. Now if Traxxas put on better drive shafts, and not those plastic ones that need to be replaced often depending on how you drive from the get go instead of charging $50-60 a pair then it would be a better deal, but nope as is it has the plastic ones that get loose, or just break.
Honestly IMO as the pede 4X4 is shipped it should be $300, but then again almost all traxxas vehicles should have $75-$100 loped off their price to become a decent value(hell most would go back to what they used to cost...).
Lets face it for $50 less then a pede 4X4 you could get a LX2e which is a more capable vehicle. Granted its a buggy, but hell throw a truck body on it and some truggy tires, and boom its almost a monster truck, and will be way more durable.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-20-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
I got a pede 4X4 its not a bad vehicle at all, just for the price its value just isn't there IMO. There are other brands where you can get more durable RC's that are more capable for close to the cost, or just a little more. Now if Traxxas put on better drive shafts, and not those plastic ones that need to be replaced often depending on how you drive from the get go instead of charging $50-60 a pair then it would be a better deal, but nope as is it has the plastic ones that get loose, or just break.
Honestly IMO as the pede 4X4 is shipped it should be $300, but then again almost all traxxas vehicles should have $75-$100 loped off their price to become a decent value(hell most would go back to what they used to cost...).
Lets face it for $50 less then a pede 4X4 you could get a LX2e which is a more capable vehicle. Granted its a buggy, but hell throw a truck body on it and some truggy tires, and boom its almost a monster truck, and will be way more durable.
syco, you and me are on the same page.
we like the traxxas trucks....tho we would like to see some of the obvious weaknesses taken care of (instead of being carried over onto new models) Them slider shafts were fine when all models were brushed. same goes for the plastic shock caps. My $365 slash 4x4 puked out its rear shock oil the 1st battery pack. made a mess of the body. A truck that will do 40mph out of the box needs alloy shock caps. They know that, but don't care.

And we both feel traxxas could do better...
Old 08-21-2013, 03:21 AM
turok007

i think they would of been better off by turning the stampede 2wd chassis into a 4wd using the slash gearboxes. but keep the arms & hubs from the stampede. also the stampede chassis would be a lot better on a trail or rocks.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 AM
BMKTW2

Originally Posted by Zonked

Good lord thats a lot of customers for traxxas!

Last edited by Foxy; 08-24-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Zonked

Originally Posted by BMKTW2
Good lord thats a lot of customers for traxxas!
Not only for traxxas. Rpm, FLM, STRC, Pro-Line, J-Concepts, (Integy good or bad) plus numerous other companies who offer accessories that apparently customers enjoy.

You know the Big O has rc cars, imagine the fun you could have at camp David

Last edited by Foxy; 08-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Scottgir

My only complaint about this truck is they didn't do anything to actually make it a trail runner.

Use the same chassis, etc. That's fine, but do something like remote locking rear or both diffs, or a dig option. Do SOMETHING that adds to an existing design.

Traxxas does what EVERY manufacturer does. They produce something that works and use it for a number of models.

I don't hear anyone complaining about Associated and their B4 design from 2003. How much has that actually changed over the last decade. Up until the .2 versions, it was basically the same car with minor adjustments. The b4 b4.1 b4.2 t4 t4.1 sc10 sc10.2 are all basically the same vehicle. But Associated does it right. They make slight modifications that make the newer vehicle better.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
BMKTW2

Originally Posted by Scottgir
But Associated does it right. They make slight modifications that make the newer vehicle better.
Yes, they come out with new updates to their models which address the known issues.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Zonked

Originally Posted by BMKTW2
Yes, they come out with new updates to their models which address the known issues.
That sounds like what Losi and Durango have done..........I am noticing a pattern here, possibly even a conspiracy lol
Old 08-27-2013, 04:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

so ive seen a vid and was surprised the number of differences this new truck has
its a pede chassis...with SHORTER arms (I guess so the body would look right?) That may make it more tippy.
It also has 100k diff oil. Im sure this is better than in the pede or slash, but it is far from a locked diff. Id think 300k would be needed for any decent trail/crawling.
It also has 48p gears...not like the pede or slash. I figure they needed the finer pitch to accomidate the brushed system.

While these changes will make it different from the slash or pede...they still did not address the weak plastic driveshafts or the plastic shock caps....which we all know suck.

It will be kinda interesting to see what other bodies fit this chassis...and if any of them can fit over the wheels proper for a more scale look.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
so ive seen a vid and was surprised the number of differences this new truck has
its a pede chassis...with SHORTER arms (I guess so the body would look right?) That may make it more tippy.
It also has 100k diff oil. Im sure this is better than in the pede or slash, but it is far from a locked diff. Id think 300k would be needed for any decent trail/crawling.
It also has 48p gears...not like the pede or slash. I figure they needed the finer pitch to accomidate the brushed system.

While these changes will make it different from the slash or pede...they still did not address the weak plastic driveshafts or the plastic shock caps....which we all know suck.

It will be kinda interesting to see what other bodies fit this chassis...and if any of them can fit over the wheels proper for a more scale look.
Well in traxxas defense as its brushed the weak plastic driveshafts will not be an issue in this, also as it won't be getting airborne due to the brushed system the shock caps I would think also shouldn't be an issue

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.