Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

traxxas new rock crawler...sort of

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine the adjustable body posts will be a welcome so you can fit other bodies and imagine Pro-line is already at work on a Jeep shell. Has a new design slipper assembly installed but can use a slash 4x4 center diff with 32p gears, be the first upgrade I would do besides wheels and tires.

Modeling clay in the diffs will lock them if you want
Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh god, one of my mates is getting one... he is the biggest Traxxas fan... hope he is ready to get spanked by a SCX10

Hows....
Just watched the Rc Car Action first drive video. First thought.... that has no chance crawling setup like that. In stock form its got hardly any suspension. It's got new shorter than stampede suspension arms that reduces the suspension travel. and still retains the same stampede spring? U can clearly see in the video the springs are so stiff they hardly move even on the jumps. The spring rate is way off and I dare say the oil is to. Dead set watch the video, u can see 90% of the suspension travel u see it just droop. If u were to run a little to no droop setup it would hardly have any suspension at all.... First mod I would do is some Losi xxx pink springs all the way around then move up if needed
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
so ive seen a vid and was surprised the number of differences this new truck has
its a pede chassis...with SHORTER arms (I guess so the body would look right?) That may make it more tippy.
It also has 100k diff oil. Im sure this is better than in the pede or slash, but it is far from a locked diff. Id think 300k would be needed for any decent trail/crawling.
It also has 48p gears...not like the pede or slash. I figure they needed the finer pitch to accomidate the brushed system.

While these changes will make it different from the slash or pede...they still did not address the weak plastic driveshafts or the plastic shock caps....which we all know suck.

It will be kinda interesting to see what other bodies fit this chassis...and if any of them can fit over the wheels proper for a more scale look.
they kind of fixed those issues....
with the new bigger style plastic sliders, that can be upgraded to X01 style ones (they are available for everything els ATM)
and the shock caps can be upgraded to alloy or there are a 2 different shock options big bores and GTR's.

hows no kidding, ive never had any problems with the shock caps and the only issue I had on the axles, when I went brushless I broke the diff output yoke.... did this on a slash and a rustler. back then it was a cheap and easy upgrade to the traxxas alloy ones. but nowdays u don't even bother, just go straight to the new style stock axles or the X01 style ones
Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 AM
phmaximus

last thing.... I wonder how it would compare to a vintage Tamiya Wild Dagger?????
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phmaximus
last thing.... I wonder how it would compare to a vintage Tamiya Wild Dagger?????
The Wild Dagger is a 4wd Blackfoot.. fun truck but the plastic strips easily and has very little suspension travel.

Here is a nice mod to consider for the Telluride

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001001_zps3b169cd5.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1914185   Click image for larger version

Name:	002001_zps682a51b0.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1914186   Click image for larger version

Name:	006sm_zps051ae11c.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1914187  
Old 10-05-2013, 10:41 PM
phmaximus

Well I was wrong.... Today I've seen two things with my own eyes that shocked me...
first was a Traxxas 1/16 Ken Block drifting perfectly around a track...

Next was my buddies Traxxas Teluride crawling just as good as my stock SCX10... No kidding... I didn't believe it untill I saw it.
all he has done is fitted a Axial AE2 ESC, Axial 55t motor, locked diffs and proline SCT trenches.....

im spewing we didn't get a video... Next time I will find a way
Old 10-06-2013, 03:17 AM
Large Larry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The locked diffs are what would've made all the difference. I've seen them trying to crawl in stock form with open diffs and it's dismal to say the least. I'd say there'd be a lot of owners out there looking into silly putty or jb weld for their diffs.

Last edited by Large Larry; 10-06-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:30 AM
turok007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traxxas 1/16 Ken Block drifting

that's nothing special. mine was drifting good as soon as i changed them stock wheels.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:05 AM
phmaximus

simple changing the wheels does not make the Ken block car drift that good, what are u comparing it to?
Today it was up against a MST Ms-o1D and a MST FS-01d owned by the same guy, and trust me it held its own. It didn't have as much angle on the big sweep, it just needed more speed to pull it off, and it didn't turn in as well. But it's was killing it. I've never seen one drift like that ever... Hey but I'm open minded, as I've got a ken lock as well. Post up some videos and ill get some to show u what I'm talking about.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:20 AM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by Large Larry
The locked diffs are what would've made all the difference. I've seen them trying to crawl in stock form with open diffs and it's dismal to say the least. I'd say there'd be a lot of owners out there looking into silly putty or jb weld for their diffs.
Spot on, he is just using blue tac ATM but he was talking about getting a spool. That as well as the AE2 ESC and 55t motor...
ATM I did notice it needs some tweaking, the drag brake is a bit soft, and the rear bumper catches on the really steep stuff.

I honestly expected it to be hopeless. But it defiantly surprised me.
There was one thing it could do better than the SCX10.... Steep side angles.... It doesn't take much to tip over a SCX10 because of its high COG... The telluride is completely different. It could take some angles I would never dream of...with a little more ground clearance and some crawler wheels... It might be half decent...