Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

exceed 1/5 crawler

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default exceed 1/5 crawler

exceed saw how djmedic made the 1/8 longer by bolting on another chassis.
so now they have a 1/5 crawler released.
It is 33'' long!
I think its ugly as can be, but the size is impressive and no doubt it can crawl over a lot.
I also noticed this one has waterproof electronics.
Considering it is about $300, that's not bad. the only other 1/5 scale crawler out there cost a lot more, tho they are a lot fancier.
I do wish they had thought to give it 4 wheel steering. Ive had the exceed 1/8 mad torque and the redcat 1/8 rockslide. the redcat had 4 wheel steering and it made a huge difference. when your wheel base is this long, you need 4ws.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMlWtBK79tc

what do you guys think of it?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:55 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got all excited thinking about a scale RTR 1/5 crawler.... Then I saw it... Comp crawler,, errrr ugly.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

all the parts needed to make a scaler/crawler are there. MOA axles are not scale looking, but they make it easy to make the wheel base whatever you want. that's what I did with my 1/8 exceed mad torque. custom chassis and total 30'' long
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2THABa7G3k

you could bolt on chassis rails and custom bumpers to this new exceed....much like venom did to the creeper to make the safari creeper. then it would just be a matter of finding a body to top it off with.

It is a shame, that even tho it is a comp rig they couldn't make it look better. colors are too flashy and the body is just shaped weird.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I saw in the video you posted, it looks like it is or could be 4ws but the rear knuckles look locked position. If you pause at 1:01, you can see what I think I see. And yes, it is butt ugly!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by pcarluvr
From what I saw in the video you posted, it looks like it is or could be 4ws but the rear knuckles look locked position. If you pause at 1:01, you can see what I think I see. And yes, it is butt ugly!
yes it has the rear axle locked. that's done on many crawlers as it just reduces the number of parts....just make both axles the same and lock the rear steering hubs.
as I said tho, a rig this size without 4wd does not turn very well.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:10 PM
phmaximus

that's funny. I'm currently converting my 1/6 clod to 2 wheel steering...
Old 09-27-2013, 06:57 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

hum, I should be more specific. I do not like "full time" 4 wheel steering on a crawler....as it works on a clod. I like either having the rear independent of the front....or even better is the setup the redcat rockslide 1/10 and 1/8 crawlers use, where you can select from front--front and rear same (crab) front and rear opposite (tight turn) and rear only all from a single button on the remote. the remote mixes the 2 servos from the remote's steering input depending on what mode you have it on.
but having 4ws tight turn all the time can be a pain. sometimes it can make it hard to line up the way you want.
my 1/5 crawler I built out of the mad torque had a 18'' wheelbase. so it wasn't terrible to turn, as this was only an inch or 2 longer than stock 1/8 length. but this new exceed's length of 30+ inches looks to be from wheel to wheel, so the wheelbase is much longer and thus the turning radius will be kinda large.
Im sure they didn't do 4ws in order to keep the cost lower.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:34 AM
phmaximus

It's just different strokes for different fokes....

Ive got switchable 4 wheels steering on my tl01mt... It's ok, but my SCX10 with DIG turns on a dime, 10 times better IMO

on my clod I'm going for somewhat of a scale look and 4 wheel steering just looks funny. If I can I might look into a dig ESC for it.

imagine having 4 wheel steer and DIG?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:25 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK. I'm in. They're posted online for $279. I'm taking the plunge. Looking at other videos you can see the original proto type had a 50's style body that is much more to my liking. Just need to find out who makes it.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh.

I don't like axle-mounted motors, prefer the realism of actual driveshafts. I can live with axle mounted servos, as real crawlers basically have axle-mounted hydraulic servos.

Still, a gigantic crawler at that price does have some appeal.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM
john01374

Made the leap. Mine should be here Friday.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by john01374
Made the leap. Mine should be here Friday.
Nice. this kinda rig is prime candidate for a custom frame and body. That 50's body is what DJMedic did. He used the max stone 1/8...bolted 2 of the chassis together to lengthen it to 1/5 scale and put that body on it. Then exceed figured they should do the same and sell it, they just made a new chassis.
I forget if in his video he mentions where he got the body from.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 PM
phmaximus

Wonder how close pro lines 1/5 VW body will be? It could be a monster beetle
Old 10-04-2013, 05:26 AM
john01374

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Wonder how close pro lines 1/5 VW body will be? It could be a monster beetle
I was actually thinking the same thing. The1/5 scal bodies are large enough to hand paint what would notmally be the decals so it would be prettyeasy to duplicate.

BTW... Mine is "out for delivery" today.

Last edited by john01374; 10-04-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I was actually thinking the same thing. The1/5 scal bodies are large enough to hand paint what would notmally be the decals so it would be prettyeasy to duplicate.

BTW... Mine is "out for delivery" today.
you must post good pics of it.....especially compared to a 1/10 model if you have one.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:00 PM
john01374

OK guys. Just got home and opened the box.

Looking it over it appears to be VERY well put together. The tires are huge and really soft. Much softer than those that came on my Honcho or AX10. They are foam filled but flex nicely.

The Chassis plates are almost a 1/4 inch thick and very strong. I doubt there will be any problems bending that.

The suspension links are huge and the end links don't seem brittle so I don't see any issues there.

The gear boxes looks pretty well built as well. There's plenty of beef around the tubes and knuckles so hopefully there won't be an issue with breakage.

The radio gear and wiring are all nicely tied up and the install looks professional.

One thing I didn't expect was 8 posts and clips to hold the body on. Very nice touch.

Enough talking here is the MaxStone5

The Body isn't anywhere near as bad in person but I'm still trying to find the Hannibal truck body from the concept.

Here it is with the top removed. You can see how thick the chassis plates actually are.

The Bottom is nice and smooth with nothing hanging down in the way.

N

And for those that will ask if it's flexable.. It's sitting there by it's self.

Now for some comparison pics. Here it is sitting next to a 100% stock Honcho.

Sitting on the same Honcho.

And one more next to the current E-Maxx.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:06 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

thanx for the pics. and I do agree, the body doesn't look that bad. somehow it looked much more odd in the video.
Only part that looks a tad weak to me is the steering hub's arm. looks kinda long and not as thick as I would like to see.

wiring doesn't look bad, tho I would zip tie the motor wires to the upper links and not the lower ones.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 PM
john01374

Yes. There are a few things I'm going to do. Move the motor wires, Swap in some S-600's Lose the bullet connectors, star cut the foams and weight the front tires etc.

All the common crawler stuff.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Yes. There are a few things I'm going to do. Move the motor wires, Swap in some S-600's Lose the bullet connectors, star cut the foams and weight the front tires etc.

All the common crawler stuff.
does it say on the motors or on exceed's site how many turns those motors are?
I know the redcat 1/8 crawler uses 100 turn motors.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 PM
john01374

No. It doesn't say anything in the documentation that came with the truck. The Website on says "hi torque 540's" I have good history with the S-600 and T-600 motors so i'm sure they will be added pretty quickly.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 PM
phmaximus

Looks good m8, any idea if they are all new axles?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 PM
john01374

I'm not familiar enough with Exceed to tell if they are new but they do look beefy. I'm going to open them up tomorrow as I've heard that some of the smaller trucks shipped with dry gearboxes.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:02 PM
john01374

Well I've had two outings with the max stone.
The first was just a quick skake down run at the local construction yard.

This shake down run showed 2 things. The first is that the body sits unnecessarily high and the tires had a bit too much bounce to them. The solution to both problems is pretty simple. The stock body mounts are adjustable so I simply dropped the body posts to the lowest setting front and rear. This dropped the body by 2 full inches but you do lose the use of the side body post. Thankfully the body is held secure without using the side mounts.

Next I removed all 4 wheels and drilled 1/2 inch holes in the backside of each wheel. This gives air a way to escape and let's the tires conform and takes the bounce out of them.

Needing some excercise I decided to take the big girl to the local forest preserve with a couple of 2s 5000 mah lipo packs and some spare AA's for the radio. The local trails are about 1.5 miles in each direction and to make things more interesting I decided to stay off the trails so this gave me tons of stuff to run over, around and through.

The max stone performed great. I made some changes to the shock preloads along the way but otherwise no other changes were made.

Overall the truck ran about 3 miles. Each pack lasted close to 90 mins. I shut them off early as I wasn't running a cutoff or alarm so who knows how long it would have ran. The motors never got above air temp and nothing broke. Looking over the truck afterward shows some scratches but nothings loose or bent. Overall I'm impressed.

I stopped on the way home and picked up 2lbs of lead stick on weights. I plan to put 1/2 lb in each front wheel and add to the rear if required. As of right now the plan to cut the foams is on hold as the tires are conforming well and the extra weight should give it that last little bit needed.

Last edited by john01374; 10-06-2013 at 01:07 PM.