Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

exo terra getting hot

Old 10-19-2013, 06:17 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default exo terra getting hot

Hi, I haven't done a lot with cars. I got an exo terra last time I had surgery for something to build while I was down. It has been run a few times now and has the castle motor and speed control. I noticed yesterday that when I plugged the battery in for just a few minutes to check something, the motor got really hot. Any idea why? It seems like when I run it with a friend with the same setup, mine gets hot and his doesn't. We are both running 3 cell 65C batteries. Setups are almost identical.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for binding in the drivetrain, clean the motor, re-do the gear mesh, and gearing. Also check for shorts. If all else fails, see if you can get a motor cooler.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 PM
phmaximus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, a good place to start is with rolling resistance.

Its the first thing to check.

Since ur mate has one can u compare them to each other?
place them on a nice level hard surface, then push them by hand. Does ur car feel harder to push?

One good idea to that's a easy one, Double check the wheel nuts.... back the wheel nuts off a turn so the wheel just wobbles.... spin the wheel by hand and get a feel for how much force u need to turn it. now tighten up the nut..... check to see if it feels the same as it did before when u spun the wheel. do this for each wheel.... while u are doing that, it might be a good idea check for hair wrapped around the axles and shafts by taking the wheels all the way off
Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 PM
phmaximus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forgot to ask..... is it any louder than ur mates car? gear noise, motor, bearings???
Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks. I will look at it. My gear mesh is probably a little harsh. I will start there.