Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

new to rc's, little help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 12:28 AM
bennyswild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new to rc's, little help?

I'm looking to trade for an rc, but don't know anything about them.
Can anyone take a look at this ad and see if they know anything about it?
Maybe a best estimate on it price wise as well.
Thanks.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...191812006.html
Old 11-24-2013, 07:12 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bennyswild
I'm looking to trade for an rc, but don't know anything about them.
Can anyone take a look at this ad and see if they know anything about it?
Maybe a best estimate on it price wise as well.
Thanks.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...191812006.html
Hi Benny , Welcome to RCU !

Let me first start by telling you that I know NOTHING about RC cars , since I fly RC airplanes ....

With that outta the way , let me now tell ya all I know about buying and selling ANYTHING toy wise , be it plane or car ........

This seller says right upfront he paid $700 for this setup , AND NOW WANTS YOU TO PAY $700 FOR IT ?????

He has used and abused that car , made it his beyotch , and now wants exactly what he gave the hobby shop for it !!!

He got a brand new , with warranty and support , unmolested toy for HIS $700 .......

???? and what do you get for YOUR $700 ????

Just so ya know , the going rate for used RC toys is around 35 to 40 % TOPS !!!!! This means that $700 car is now a $250 to $300 car and that crook is trollin for a sucker with deep pockets and not much brains . Since you came here to ask , Its GREAT to see that you do have the brains to be skeptical of any such sale . If your looking to buy a good used RC car , one ya wont get ripped off by buying , I'd suggest spending some time reading our RC cars subforums , learn who'se for real and whose talkin crap , and then buy one in the RCU classifides from someone ya respect from the forums and have a good experience instead of gettin boned on the deal .

Good Luck and Happy motoring

Edited to add ;

I would like all you RC Car guys to know that , as an RC Airplane guy , I don't go jumping into threads of other folk's interests and try to play expert . This thread originally appeared in the "clubhouse" section and I responded to it there . I am glad to see agreement backing up my position about the price ratio for used equipment VS new and it's good to see that Benny is now at the part of the forum where he can receive the most expert help from guys who really know this stuff ....

Last edited by init4fun; 11-24-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Comment on moved thread ....
Old 11-24-2013, 01:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That ain't no $700 RC new

Love how he has "i will also accept a cash purchace this car plus accessories was given to me."

Then
"I have no idea what to trade for it so shoot me an offer. all I know is that all spent was around 700"

So was it given to him, or did he buy it for $700

another inconsistency
"I dont know much about it however I have seen it go and its fast. everything you need is here. except a battery charger."
There's no radio either so I don't know how he saw it move. Those 2 wires by the lower left tire need to be plugged into a receiver to make it move, and that is obviously lacking one as there is no transmitter in the pics either.

Side note judging by that battery connector I'd say its a RC18t which if I'm right costs $150 NEW (if you can find it as it has been discontinued a while ago)
IMO if it ran it would be a decent deal for $75 to $100(I will count some of the spare parts in it), but $750 he must be smoking crack, or counting all the spare parts, and worthless aluminum he put on (well I take that back the aluminum parts do have their meager scrap metal value)

init4fun isn't far off the average rule of thumb for reselling price. Some do go for more then that (rare things mostly) as you have to account for the ad being complete BS when it comes to its running condition. Its very rare when I got over 50% of the cost when buying a used RC of its new price.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 11-24-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't by an rc off Clist unless you are very familiar with RCs, specs, equipment, value ect.
The same can happen on ebay, but Clist seems to have a higher percentage of people trying to get way more than their RC is worth.

No way there is $700 in that truck.
its just a RC18 with a mamba system and some alloy hop ups. $200 absolute tops. $150 is what you might get for it on ebay.
You can buy brand new RTR brushless models of that size for $120-$200. so $700 is just nuts.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
don't by an rc off Clist unless you are very familiar with RCs, specs, equipment, value ect.
The same can happen on ebay, but Clist seems to have a higher percentage of people trying to get way more than their RC is worth.

No way there is $700 in that truck.
its just a RC18 with a mamba system and some alloy hop ups. $200 absolute tops. $150 is what you might get for it on ebay.
You can buy brand new RTR brushless models of that size for $120-$200. so $700 is just nuts.
its like the $900 Traxxas XL-5 Rustler I remember seeing
The guy was charging for all his "upgrades" which were just replacements parts for the stock parts he broke
I'd say the greater majority of ads have stupid prices like that on Craigslist. Won't say you can't get a good deal as I bought a whole Nitro RC once for $35 (was labeled a box of random HPI parts), but the greater majority are wastes of time.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 11-25-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if a car is taken out of the box and ran twice and is almost pristine it might be worth a little over 50 percent of new, in my experience. that's a LITTLE over 50 percent, not much. if the thing's pretty close to absolutely pristine. why don't you post another thread here, asking for new car buying advice. this is certainly the right place to do it. best to put a budget.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by silvermansteve
if a car is taken out of the box and ran twice and is almost pristine it might be worth a little over 50 percent of new, in my experience. that's a LITTLE over 50 percent, not much. if the thing's pretty close to absolutely pristine. why don't you post another thread here, asking for new car buying advice. this is certainly the right place to do it. best to put a budget.
well it depends I've seen people on here smoke their ESC, trash their engine (running a nitro over 300 degrees WOT on 2nd tanks with no break in), or destroy the diffs in 1-2 runs by doing donuts

Hell I've had 1 RC get totaled in 2 runs (about 10 mins total on it). My HPI recon after I clipped the tire once on a pole broke over $120 in replacement parts (on a $110 RC...) Side note the Recon's stock ESC let out the magic smoke on its 2nd use It wasn't in the RC I hooked it up to test a reciever, and it let out the magic smoke after I tested the throttle for a split second....

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 11-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.