Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Liquid mask questions and help.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Liquid mask questions and help.

So i want to paint more i really like painting rc car bodies. I use masking tape and cut it with an exacto knife for designs. but I see that liquid mask is awesome. But they say its very time consuming... so help me get started. what brands of liquid mask to use how to use how many coats how to cut it and put designs on it. are there any good videos on how to do? anybody here use liquid mask Like phaximus ive seen some of your jobs they look very cool:0
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 PM
R32GolfTA06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine there would be instructions with it, to tell you how many coats etc,there are lots of examples on youtube of how to cut it, what colours to paint first and so on.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 PM
On2_n_On4

I use 3 or 4 coats of bob dively liquid mask. And use an x-acto knife to cut.
do all the markings on the outside.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here bud... this is a great video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khJQwEV1QWw
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Cool_cris27

thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Cool_cris27

Im going to order everything i need for my project and ill keep you guys posted First time using liquid mask. wish me luck.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 PM
phmaximus

good luck....
Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll say one reason its time consuming is it takes around 24-48 hours to dry to where you can cut it (or at least the one I used does), and then start painting.
Unless I'm doing something that would be hard as hell to tape (like On2 n On4's example with the engine) I'll just use normal masking tape.
I will say a few things I've painted in the past with tape would have been 1000% easier to do if I had used liquid tape when I did it(like the decepticon, and Tamiya logo on my DF-02 that was a friggin nightmare with masking tape), but for basic lines IMO masking tapes way cleaner.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have used liquid mask for a long time painting my helicopter canopies. I have used Bobs the most. It is easy to use. I have thinned it and sprayed it through an air brush, fine bristle brush, and a small foam roller depending on the shape I am painting. Another really good brand is Sherwin Williams. Problem is, it runs $90.00 a gallon.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXC100&P=ML

I ran out so I am trying the Model Master stuff. Not sure it is worth twice the price yet.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...film-3-oz.html

If I was to start doing a lot of them again, I would try the 3M liquid mask.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-06847-Overs...ds=liquid+mask

I used to sharpen brass tube to make clean circles. Touch the mask, gently twist, perfect circle. I also used square tubing in the same manner. You can create a lot of effects using the masking film.

If half way through and you need to re mask an area, just put more masking on, then cut it out again. I still use fine line tape, then I use the liquid mask over that. Easy to cover odd shapes with the liquid stuff compared to the blue tape.

If you want to create a thin pin strip, glue a spacer between two razor blade. It will cut both side at the same time.

Buzz.