Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

new motot esc issues

Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 PM
millsaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new motot esc issues

I just installed an hpi esc and firebolt 15t motor in my evader ext2.4 and it worked awesome for like 20min now it shutters like its not getting enough power. changed battery and same thing. only when going forward reverse is fine. I tried a general search which was no help. everything is new, motor esc and ext2.4 drivetrain.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Despite everything being new, it sounds like you may have a bad connection on one of the three motor wires. Check the soldering on the wires where they connect to the ESC circuit board. Solder joints should be smooth and shiney, not dull and rough. Inspect the connections at the motor end, too. Next, note how well (or not) the bullet connectors between the ESC and motor fit together. They should be tight. Good friction when you push them together or pull them apart. I had a bad friction connector on one of my motors' bullet connector, and it caused the exact behavior your describe. I ended up replacing the connector and all is well.

When your car starts exhibiting this behavior, put your car up on a stand so the wheels are off the ground. Now make sure it's still stuttering, then, one by one, manipulate each wire or squeeze each bullet connector to see if you can make the stuttering go away and determine which wire is the culprit. Once you determine which wire is the problem, try to determine which connection on that wire is the problem: The ESC end, the motor end, or the bullet connector. Re-solder the connections at each end if necessary. If you determine that the bullet connector is the culprit, you can gently squeeze the female end with pliers to make it so that it will fit tighter. That should solve the problem, at least for a while. The connector may need replacing.

Have you made temperature measurements on the new motor and ESC? You should have an infrared thermometer on hand to monitor your motor and ESC temps. Your ESC shouldn't get more than about 125F and your motor shouldn't exceed 170F, if the car is properly geared. A brushless motor will generally run happily all day at 140F. If your motor is running too hot, gear down (smaller pinion).
Old 05-03-2014, 04:57 PM
millsaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a lot im awaiting more parts I just had the motor and esc on a friends evader st. must say the thing is crazy fast.