Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is this a toe problem? How do I fix it?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is this a toe problem? How do I fix it?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 PM
LosTxSouL94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this a toe problem? How do I fix it?

I have a Mission D drift car and I like to whack on some grip tires for driving around for funsies.

I noticed something not too long ago which is really bugging me. The front right wheel goes negative toe when you push the chassis forward even the slightest bit, but the left is fine. I adjusted the turnbuckle on the right to make it neutral when it's not moving, but it will still go negative when driving. My car likes to go right at a standing take off and it sometimes prefers to steer right when I make a few turning adjustments on to drive straight.

Anyone have any idea what's going on and any ideas on how to fix it? I think it might be the steer arm part that's loose, but I'm not willing to fiddle with something I still don't fully understand.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:14 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

There's way too many components to know exactly what's wrong without actually seeing the car. You're going to have to diagnose it yourself, but don't go taking it apart just yet. You say the wheel changes it's toe position when the car moves forward, well simply try moving the wheel forward and backward or steer the wheel by hand. When you do pay attention to anything else that moves.

There are two general areas that could be the problem, the steering system and the mounting of the wheel which includes the suspension. In the steering you could have a loose screw in the steering bellcrank or that secures the steering tie rod on that side. In the suspension it could be anything from a bent hinge pin, broken arm, c-hub, or knuckle to a bad bearing. Again, just move the wheel by hand replicating the problem and what the other components to see what moves that shouldn't.

If you're not willing to mess with it you're not going to learn and will be stuck paying someone to fix it for you.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 06-04-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Damn autocowreck
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM
LosTxSouL94

Not sure if the pictures help. If they even load.

If you hold the left wheel and slightly move it back and forth, it will have a fair amount of play in it. If you hold the right wheel and move the left, the left turns like normal but the steering arm on the right moves too. Not to mention the drive shaft has play in it as well that the rest don't. I think a small prang that into something in my house might have had something to do with it. I'm thinking about taking to my local hobby store and get some hands on advice. But god knows whenever I get around to doing that. I had to adjust the turnbuckle on the right so it was longer than the left to try and fix it, but obviously it did not really do much at all.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-04 11.40.39.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2000961   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-04 11.40.46.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	4.00 MB
ID:	2000962   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-04 11.43.11.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2000963   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-04 11.43.20.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2000964   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-04 11.43.39.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	2000965  
Old 06-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Pictures aren't going to help either as you need to see movement. Hold the chassis in one hand and the lower arm of the suspension in the other. Try moving the lower arm forward and backwards. If the arm doesn't move then try holding the lower arm and moving the c-hub around. If that checks out the suspension is ok and the problem must be in the steering. Hold the left wheel still and try moving the right, note what components move when you do. Then try holding the servo still and move the wheel again noting what components move. Diagnose individual components one by one until you find the issue. Or pay someone, up to you. Just don't be surprised if the hobby shop doesn't turns you away, some won't look at vehicles from Hobbyking or similar as they don't stock parts.