Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

2100mah lipo battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 PM
G0ldengoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2100mah lipo battery

Hey Guys,

I know lipo questions get asked a lot and i'm sure you're getting sick of answering them but i really wanted to double check before i burnt my house down.

I've got the below lipo battery - 7.4v's and 2100mah. Currently i've just been setting my charger for 2.1amps and 7.4 volts - doing a balance charge and it will take between 20mins and 40 minutes depending how low the battery is. Looking on the web though, this battery is listed as 5c (25c on the battery?) - does this mean i could set my amps to a ridiculous amount? like 10.5?!

Really quite dubious about doing this - always thought we just set the charger to what it is on the battery and thats it.

http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/image/c...00-500x500.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated,

Tom.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are Lipos that are capable of being charged faster than 1C. If they are this will be noted separately from the normal discharge c-rating. The picture you linked to does say "5C charge", does your battery say "5C charge" on it as well? If your particular Lipo doesn't say "5C charge" on it I would continue charging at 1C. I currently do not have any Lipos capable of charging faster than 1C but if I had a 5C pack I think I'd try 2C out and see how the pack reacts temp wise. I probably wouldn't go past 3C just because IN MY MIND (don't know if true) that would put more stress on it and possibly decrease the lifespan.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 06-06-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Also, you DO have a LIPO charger, not a NiCd charger? THAT is what will burn your house down.
Be sure to use the Storage function on your charger, too. Don't leave your LIPOs fully charged, nor discharged, for long. It will shorten their useful life. The Storage function will charge the pack to 3.8V/cell, a LIPO's "resting voltage".

Oh, and the "25C" listed on the battery label is it's DIScharge rating. Generally you multiply that figure with the pack's capacity to give you the max Amp output a pack can do. However, these ratings vary widely across manufacturers, and are mainly useful comparing packs made by the same maker.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:56 PM
G0ldengoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for your help. I didn't actually know about the 'resting charge' EXT2Rob - i'll make sure i do that in future.

And yes i have a lipo charger, cost me like £60-70 so it better do me well. I'll try it at 2C tonight in a lipo bag and like overdrive suggested, check temps.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:14 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be that afraid of lipo batteries, they are safe, the fires come from using NIMH chargers or charging batteries that are puffed up like marshmallows or shorted out.

It is wise to charge only when you are nearby, and obviously put it where there isn't a bunch of fabric around.

I charge 1c-2c max.