Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Worth it to buy used Baja?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:53 PM
lvl1dnight_Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth it to buy used Baja?

I was on craigslist and wasn't specifically looking for the Baja, but I've seen some Baja's for decent prices and I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a used one. They are mostly in the $500-$700 range. Is there anything that is a common problem on a Baja (5t, 5sc, 5b, etc.)? I was looking particularly into a 5T. If I do go check a car out, what are some of the things I should make sure to look over besides the basics like how the engine starts/runs and frame damage. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Dave ESPI

just give it a good overall inspection. they are quite durable. Make sure it runs and stays running when the engine is warmed up at temp. as the engine expands, the rings can allow exhaust gases to slip past.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Generally parts are cheap so....
The big things to check....
engine, does it start and run... It shouldn't be difficult to start
servos , do they work? And are they still strong?
tyres/wheels, 1/5 tyres and wheels are expensive....
diff, is the diff action nice and smooth
general inspection for broken parts
Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phmaximus
tyres/wheels, 1/5 tyres and wheels are expensive....
one of the biggest reasons I will never own one
I remember how gun ho I was to try and get one at one point till I saw a pair of tires sitting on my LHS's counter, and I said something like *** is that the wrong price?, and the clerk was like nope that i what 2 tires cost on it.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 PM
lvl1dnight_Racer

Ok, seems like there isn't anything I should be too overly-worried about. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have owned a KM Baja. a Baja clone. costs about $500 new! cheaper servos, Chinese motor, and some parts are softer metal. but IMO it was worth the money and Id prefer to have one new than used.
another option is a redcat rampage. for $600 (or a bit under) you can get a new rampage xt or xb. advantage? 4WD. I loved my KM Baja until I ran it alongside a rampage. when you have nearly 30 pounds of rc it is really nice to have 4wd to get it going, help it turn and make it stop faster. the rampage could run circles around my Baja.
personally, I wouldn't pay more that $500 for a used HPI Baja, and even then it would have to be obvious that it had low runtime on it.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 PM
lvl1dnight_Racer

I haven't really looked into any of redcat nitro/gasoline cars. I like the body of the rampage xt though. Are the rampage's durable? Jumps, off-road, flipping over, etc. How's the aftermarket for them. I saw a few videos and they don't look that bad. What kind of engine do they have though? HY 30cc? Hung Yang? Chung Yang? lol