Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

why bearings are important

Old 09-16-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default why bearings are important

my 1/6 scale hummer H2 has been threw a lot....and many times threw water and mud. I got the mad torque axles used, and put many hours on them myself.
Today, I noticed the motor sometimes locking up...usually reverse and go forward and it would be fine again. seemed like the motor had a bad brushed, but then the motor was only 1 hour old.

Took the axle apart and found this gear looking like this. these are hardened steel gears. BUT, the bearing supporting the gear's shaft had failed. Notice how 50% of the teeth are gone, that's cause the shaft could move away making only 50% contact with the main gear. Amazing thing was that it was still moving at all. It was the chips of teeth getting in between the gears now and again that was causing the issue.

So, this axle will get a new gear ($2.50) as well as all new bearings.

We know "waterproof" rc's are merely waterproof electronic rc's. driving threw water (at least with standard bearings) will eventually result in this sort of damage.

still loving the H2 tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4N2Dpj91MA&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDXzZYzahes&index=4&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PHTO1325.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2032784   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHTO1324.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2032785  
Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are doing water driving I'd go plastic bushings instead.
Its what I did on my DF-02 when I originally was running it mainly in water, and did to my WK when I was using it in snow as I've had a bearing die in a similar fashion, but luckily it was on the axle going out to the wheel so it only wobbled like mad.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
If you are doing water driving I'd go plastic bushings instead.
Its what I did on my DF-02 when I originally was running it mainly in water, and did to my WK when I was using it in snow as I've had a bearing die in a similar fashion, but luckily it was on the axle going out to the wheel so it only wobbled like mad.
on a DF-02 I think that would work well....on a 10+pound 1/6 scale crawler with a pair of 55t motors turning 6'' tall tires, I think there would be a chance the plastic bushings would still fail, or at least provide a degree of play that metal bushings would not.

Im not really complaining about the bearing failing, ive put around 8 hours on axles I bought used....and im not easy on the H2, I drive it like I would a axial. But it was impressive seeing the shards of gear and bearing all around the trans housing.

when I re-assemble the axle, I will likely coat the inside with marine grease.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really a helpful post but I just wanted to say your Hummer looks awseome
Old 09-17-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Albadry
Not really a helpful post but I just wanted to say your Hummer looks awseome
thanx. I try to keep my helpful posts down to a minimum
But honestly it had just been a while since I had any carnage to share. Most of the summer my Rcs ran without issue. Shredding a hard metal gear, and still having it also work was a shocker. I had thought the issue was the motor, but after removing the motor I noticed a few shards of metal on the inside of the case. tore the axle apart to inspect further and found the cause.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:51 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bearings are definitely important and the elements do effect them greatly. I once grenaded three rear Tmaxx diffs in 5 weeks. Then I realized the mud and nitro cleaner were killing the outer bearings which then killed the diffs.

I actually have have a whole bunch of bronze bushings from vintage Tamiya's and others stashed somewhere. PM me sizes and I'll see if I can find them, they're yours for shipping if you want them.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
Bearings are definitely important and the elements do effect them greatly. I once grenaded three rear Tmaxx diffs in 5 weeks. Then I realized the mud and nitro cleaner were killing the outer bearings which then killed the diffs.

I actually have have a whole bunch of bronze bushings from vintage Tamiya's and others stashed somewhere. PM me sizes and I'll see if I can find them, they're yours for shipping if you want them.
I hadn't thought of bronze bushings. they do wear down, but it would take a long time as they are not soft like plastic. I have some as well....may just use them in place of ball bearings. The loss of some efficient would be minimal but having parts that wont be effected as much by water would be nice.

come to think of it....wouldn't it be cool to see a side-by-side comparison of bronze bushings to ball bearings? friction, tolerance, life, how they are effected by water/mud ect? Obviously ball bearings are smoother and have less friction....but how much less? And is the difference worth the fact that they can rust? On a race truck/buggy I could see how less friction (in any form) is worth the effort....but on a rock crawler where speeds are much slower maybe bronze bushings are actually better.

I might just try it and see....I could replace the bearings one axle with new bearings and the rear axle with bronze bushings. beat the snot out of it like I normally do and see which axle has a problem first.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Old Hornet from when I was a kid was the only vehicle that I ran the bronze bushings in, everything else they got replaced real quick. Anyway I ran that thing for years and the wear was insignificant. As a side note the modified motor in it still didn't make it incredibly fast and it wasn't subjected to mud or water. For a crawler that sees lots of mud, water or you just don't want to do lots of maintenance and replacing I think bronze bushings would be great. And the difference in performance on a crawler wouldn't be very noticeable if at all.

Edit: To get the least amount of friction from bronze bushings be sure to soak them in oil before installation. They will soak up the oil reducing friction and I would repeat the soaking during yearly maintenance.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 09-18-2014 at 07:18 AM.