Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Entry level car for under $100

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Rupie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entry level car for under $100

I'm ready for my son to get something a bit more advanced than the" Target" or "Toys R Us" RC Car. Growing up I built many of the Tamiya electric cars and had a blast, so I'm not completely lost. I want to get buy a car under $100. I have a 2.4ghz controller, I will have to buy the charger and batteries in addition to the car. Does anyone have a good suggestion on what I should buy ( something that is repairable, and good for outside around our house, street and dirt). It seems most kits are RTR these days, can't I just buy the car...

thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 11:14 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to tell ya, mate, but you aren't really going to find a hobby grade RC for under $100. Although, the plastic model company Revell has come out with three entry-level RCs for about that price, under the brand Dromida. They have a short course truck, a buggy, and a monster truck. They are small-ish, like 1/18 scale, and I don't think they take standard size battery packs. But they can be had for $100. Supposedly, there are even spare parts and upgrade kits available. But these are RTRs as well. They're the only things I can think of for $100. Don't know if they come with a battery and charger. Probably do.

Now if you can throw a few more dollars at it, you can get a Duratrax Evader 2.4 (also RTR) for $170 at Tower Hobbies. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXCZLH** This is a true entry level RC. (It's how I got started) And, it's been around for years, so parts are readily available now and well into the future. (You used to be able to get this car without battery and charger for $129) And with a few choice parts upgrades, can even be upgraded to brushless when he's ready for more speed. If you go this route, I'd suggest getting this part: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDSX6&P=7 and a bumper set from T-Bone Racing. Front: http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-A-M/D...2-ST-p183.html and rear http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-A-M/D...2-ST-p158.html You put those three items on the Evader and you'll eliminate 99% of all damage.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Rupie

That's what I thought, I wanted to ask from see if I was missing something. Thanks for the info and links!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupie
That's what I thought, I wanted to ask from see if I was missing something. Thanks for the info and links!
$100 is little money....but just go back to what you know! Tamiya still makes nearly all the kits they used to. a few Tamiya kits that are $100.
The Lunchbox, midnight pumkin, grass hopper, holiday buggy and maybe a couple others are all about $100. any of them are fine for packed dirt, street or short grass (buggy might not do well in grass)
As with any Tamiya, there are upgrades, spare parts, custom mods ect.
While a $200 stadium truck or short course truck is more capable and more durable than a Tamiya kit, you don't get to enjoy building your own rc. And since your price range is lower, a Tamiya kit is a good idea.
most Tamiya kits include a speed control and motor. some require painting, others don't.
Me and my daughter built a Tamiya lunchbox (well I built it, she did the body) and we made it look like a ice cream truck.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Rupie

I'm not opposed to spending more, I wanted to see whats out there for a lower price. I never saw a lower priced RC online, so I had to ask to see if I was missing something. Thank you for the response and advice.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see.
my recommendation then for a "low price" or budget RC is the ECX brand. The ecx torment or ruckus (short course truck and monster truck) are both well priced for what you get. I think both in brushed form come in just under $200 (its been a while, but I think its $180)
The trucks are as tough as the comparable traxxas models.
Not as much aftermarket support as traxxas, but it is easy to get spare parts and there are upgrades available.
Still, unless you want something that can be jumped hard and bashed hard, there is no reason you cant go with a Tamiya.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:25 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My advice would be.. be patient and keep looking online, in news paper classifieds and garage sales....for something secondhand.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:06 PM
cumquat

cheapest kit i know of is the tamiya rising fighter http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVWN0&P=0
Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 AM
ScarabChris

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On road or off road? If off road checkout the Volcano from Red Cat Racing. I just got one for a friends son. $130 shipped I ran it and it is a very nice truck for the price. And it is easily upgradable to get more speed out of it. These guys have fast free shipping too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390878039528...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 09-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Rupie

Thank you all for the advice.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cumquat
cheapest kit i know of is the tamiya rising fighter http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVWN0&P=0
wow I can't believe the hornet, and grasshopper went up as much as they did
I remember when the grasshopper was $75, and hornet $90(as I bought a hornet back then)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, what about the HobbyPeople DHK brand? I was just looking thru my RC magazine and there's always a big ad for the DHK Wolf buggy, Raz-R Truggy, and Hunter SCT. The brushed versions are all under $200. (The buggy is $149) But I rarely see anyone talking about them here. So they're an "unknown quantity" to me.