Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My first project

Old 09-21-2014, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first project

Hello everyone!
I'm an electronics student and I wanted to put my knowledge into something I actually enjoy. So the plan for my first project is to buy an RC car and measure the duty cycle of its motor via an osciloscope. After that I planned to use my MSP430 micro controller and its pulse width modulation to increase the duty cycle and thus increase the speed of the car.
So I wanted to ask if there is any material you guys would recommend me to read, before I start, except information on osciloscopes and pulse width modulation. Also is there anything I need to be careful about?
Any help/information will be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:08 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I'm no electric engineer, but that chip says it is low power. Pretty sure the motor would draw too many amps and fry it. But, what do I know? You're the guy going to college for electrics.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:09 AM

i'm pretty sure most modern brushless motors used in rc already run constantly, or damn near it. i think it'll prove futile but if you want to try, go for it! a lot of people here dont even understand how their lipo charger works. i barely do.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:33 PM

I second Cumquat's view on the current duty cycle of the motors/electronics used.
I think you probably have defined your thesis too narrowly and are resolving a problem that does not exist. Perhaps you could study the waveforms output from an ESC and determine efficiency .... but I'm thinking the people who build these things for money have had a least a cursory glace toward the scope already!