Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

DIY RC car from scratch

Old 09-25-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY RC car from scratch

Hey there,

I've been working on building my own RC Car. I'm fine with the electronics/motors side of things so far. But I'm not so hot with the mechanical sides. I'm starting simple so I've so far made the chassis out of wood, and I have my motors mounted etc. I've gone for a rear wheel drive hooked up to the motors. The main thing I'm struggling to think about is how to make the front wheels being able to freely spin. Will I need bearings? How is best to attach them to my chassis? I want them to be able to turn independently of each other, so I don't want a single axle for them. For some reason I just can't think of the best way to do this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-25-2014, 12:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Are you planning on suspension. When you say motors on the rear wheels is that how it will steer. Powering wheels independently. If you could throw up some pics it would help others see what you're going for and where you're at.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM

No suspension, I want to keep it simple. Yes, the rear motors will be how I steer, hence needing the front axle being independent and the wheels.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds like you need caster wheels on the front. How big is it?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:58 PM

It's 10" wide and 16" long. I have 4 wheels similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/3Racing-WH-10-...Chassis+Series
Old 09-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hope you didn't buy micro T tires like you linked as thos are only 1 inch diameter

If you are doing what I call a tank like design(rear wheel steers depending on direction) which is what it sounds like you will need either A extremely hard drift tires(pvc tube on a rim) or B caster wheels like off an office chair. If you go with the hard drift tires you could get away with a straight axle, and put as much weight to the rear as possible. I did a design around 11 years ago in college that had 2 rear drive motors, and hard plastic up front had to put most weight on the rear to allow it to turn(we had cheap caster wheels but they broke due to weight as it weighed over 100lbs which I later found out was 2X the weight limit for the wheel we used...)

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 09-25-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:11 PM

My wheels are 2" diameter, and 0.8" wide. They're just big enough for what I need. I did buy these which is what I used to connect to my motors: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The hex bolt fits perfectly into the inside of my wheels. You're right about it being more of a tank steering system. Maybe I can use it to connect the front wheels up to an axle of some kind. But that's really what I'm not sure about.

Last edited by jonza; 09-25-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:14 PM

These are the actually wheels I bought: http://www.asiatees.com/display?bran...l=All&id=56150 i can't find them on amazon anymore, which is where I bought them.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:45 PM

hmm ok just making sure you didn't see $10 tires and go WOO HOO as those had no specs on the page. I have seen people here do that before

As for the ones you got like I said when you get them take the 2 you will use as front take the tire off then go to home depot/lowes/whatever hardware store you like, and get a piece of PVC pipe in black that the rim fits snugly in. Cut it to the width of the rim, and glue it on. That should make it easy to steer, and will still look like a matching set. PVC pip is al a drift tire is as it allows the RC to not have much resistance to skidding.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 PM

PVC pip is al a drift tire is as it allows the RC to not have much resistance to skidding.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt use a wooden chassis. I've always had issues with them. Buy some sheet aluminum and reinforce so it won't flex. As far as your other issues, I'm not clear on the overall design.

One random idea I want to do but haven't had the chance is use 2 high quality mountain bikes with good rear suspension, weld them to a parallel frame, stick an engine or some motors or on there. The chain drive can stay, in fact if done right I can kinda get swing arm suspension out of it. If the bikes are quality enough the bearings will be able to handle the forces no problem. The brakes and gearshift are already wire based so that's easy with some high powered servos. I'll definitely need a monstrous servo, maybe homemade to actuate the front wheels.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:35 AM

The wooden chassis is just to get me started. To give me a way to quickly create this and get all the electronics together etc. Currently I'm just after ideas on how to attack my front wheels to the chassis. So that they will freely move when then the back wheels (connected to the motor) start to move the RC around.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:00 PM

Drift wheels are a good idea. Put those on the front and rubber tires on the back for traction.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:29 AM

So if I bought drift wheels, how would attach them to the chassis?
Old 09-27-2014, 09:43 AM

simple way solid axle the same diameter as the piece you are using to connect the wheels to the motor.
put the pole through some ball bearings to allow it to spin freely when going forward.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:44 AM

Just flintstone it and put a piece of pvc pipe on the front. Lol jk. Do what SyCo mentioned. Use the wheels you have and just get some pvc pipe to fit over the front two. Add rubber tires to the rear two.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jkdv8
Just flintstone it and put a piece of pvc pipe on the front. Lol jk. Do what SyCo mentioned. Use the wheels you have and just get some pvc pipe to fit over the front two. Add rubber tires to the rear two.
his rears are rubber he bought pre-mounted rims

hmm a Flintstones RC car... tempting idea
Old 09-28-2014, 07:32 AM

Ah ok. Must of missed that. Could you cut it off.

Flintstones car would be an easy build.