Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Radio Advice needed.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Advice needed.

I'm going to be getting a new Radio in the near future and I need advice on one thing.

I had a Futaba 3PMX and hated it more then any other radio I have ever had because I found for my trigger finger that the gap was to tight and I really did not like it at all and most of my friends with smaller finders said the same thing,I had a 2 Tatic radios that come with the Aquacraft boat's and the trigger was a dream compared to my Futaba.

I'm looking at getting a Spectrum DX4C and I was wondering if the gap is as small on it as it is on the Futaba.

https://www.spektrum...?ProdId=SPM4200

I'm also looking at an Airtronics MV-X I'm not looking to get anything to fancy I don't to buy a radio from HobbyKing more because by the time I have it shipped I can get on here for about 10 bucks more.

http://www.airtronic...-fh2-radio.html
Old 09-27-2014, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what you mean by the gap, do you mean the space your finger fits in in the trigger, or the space between the trigger and the grip?

I'm very large, (6'6"tall, size 14 shoe, size 14.5 wedding ring) and have very large hands. The Spektrum radios are by far the most comfortable for me, and Futabas are very uncomfortable.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:19 AM

When I say the gap I mean from the front of the trigger to the rear of the trigger where your finger goes threw.

Originally Posted by robwiljas
I'm not sure what you mean by the gap, do you mean the space your finger fits in in the trigger, or the space between the trigger and the grip?

I'm very large, (6'6"tall, size 14 shoe, size 14.5 wedding ring) and have very large hands. The Spektrum radios are by far the most comfortable for me, and Futabas are very uncomfortable.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:45 PM

Oh OK, I don't remember if the Futabas trigger was bigger or smaller. Do you have a local hobby shop that sells Spektrum where you could ask to hold one of them?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:20 PM

I just ordered this one off of ebay after calling a shop in the states where I go every summer that treat's me right told me that the Airtronics have a bit bigger trigger more like the Spectrum's,I real;y did not want to buy a Spectrum unless it was a last resort kind of deal because when I was on the HPI Baja forum everyone always complained about range issues and glitching problems as well.

I know in a Baja most times everyone had nothing but range problems,I know from reading many other forums that Spectrum seems to be the main one everyone has problems with when it comes to their surface radios and not aircraft stuff,I think spectrums work just fine for most of them but they just seem to have to many people that buy them and complain about them but I don't think everyone is a bad one that they make.

This is the one I got here for 85 bucks and 17 for shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191129378810...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oh OK, I don't remember if the Futabas trigger was bigger or smaller. Do you have a local hobby shop that sells Spektrum where you could ask to hold one of them?
Old 09-29-2014, 06:29 AM

Cool hopefully it works well for you. I haven't tried an Airtronics surface radio in years.

Yeah I've read about the range problems with Spektrum. I had bad range years ago with the older Spektrum DX3.0, but I've since had a DX3e and a DX3c and currently have a couple DX2e's and have had no range problems at all in my electrics. I haven't tried it in my Baja because I need another receiver, but I think the problem in the Baja is the super short antenna on most Spektrum receivers. I'm going to get an SR410 receiver which has a long antenna for it.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:42 AM

The problem with the Baja is that it use's a spark ignition system and you'll find a lot of radios struggle with that,I know about 10 to 15 years ago you had to run a very pricey kind of spark plug called a resistor plug and that cure all the problem on most.

If a radio system is working fine it does not matter the length of the Antenna so long as it's matched up the Frequency of the radio properly,when you here people talk about bandwidth they are really reffering to the length of the signal.

I know if you have a 12 inch antenna from the factory you ever want to cut any off as that truly is the length that the signal is and can be measured by,I know a lot of guys who cut theirs and it gave them much less range.

I know I had a Tactic boat radio and it had a 2 or 3 inch antenna inside a boat hull made from fiberglass and carbon fiber and it worked flawlessly,on another note the Tactic pistol grip was a much better feeling radio in your hand then my Futaba 3PMX.

Cool hopefully it works well for you. I haven't tried an Airtronics surface radio in years.

Yeah I've read about the range problems with Spektrum. I had bad range years ago with the older Spektrum DX3.0, but I've since had a DX3e and a DX3c and currently have a couple DX2e's and have had no range problems at all in my electrics. I haven't tried it in my Baja because I need another receiver, but I think the problem in the Baja is the super short antenna on most Spektrum receivers. I'm going to get an SR410 receiver which has a long antenna for it.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by wade7575
The problem with the Baja is that it use's a spark ignition system and you'll find a lot of radios struggle with that,I know about 10 to 15 years ago you had to run a very pricey kind of spark plug called a resistor plug and that cure all the problem on most.

If a radio system is working fine it does not matter the length of the Antenna so long as it's matched up the Frequency of the radio properly,when you here people talk about bandwidth they are really reffering to the length of the signal.

I know if you have a 12 inch antenna from the factory you ever want to cut any off as that truly is the length that the signal is and can be measured by,I know a lot of guys who cut theirs and it gave them much less range.

I know I had a Tactic boat radio and it had a 2 or 3 inch antenna inside a boat hull made from fiberglass and carbon fiber and it worked flawlessly,on another note the Tactic pistol grip was a much better feeling radio in your hand then my Futaba 3PMX.
That is not entirely true. Yes the antenna length needs to match the frequency wave length of the radio, but having a very short antenna such as most Spektrum's puts the antenna down very low and surrounded by metal in the Baja and other 5th scales. Combine that with the spark interference and you have a problem. On most 2.4GHz receivers with long antennas, the true antenna is only a short section at the end of the wire, no longer than the short antenna ones. The rest of the wire is just so you have enough length to get it up above the model. This is why Losi 5T comes with a special longer antenna wire version Spektrum receiver, and Spektrum is finally starting to use longer antenna wires on some of their receivers, such as the SR410 that I plan to use in my Baja.

Edit: Here's a pic, notice the actual antenna at the end of the wire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	137267222251d150deb4538.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	2036059  

Last edited by robwiljas; 09-29-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using Spektrum for years. I have boats that will blast past 60 MPH and I take them far enough away that you can barely see it. And I'm talking about a 60" boat that weighs 35 pounds. I use the DX3s for the boats and cars. No issue with the range on the cars either. On the boats I use the marine MR3000 RX which has 2 fairly short antenna wires.

I also use Spektrum on my 450 size helicopter. For that I use the DX8 with full telemetry. I'm still a novice with the heli so I haven't taken it more than a few hundred feet away.

That said, I have never use Spektrum radios on gasoline powered models. But I do use it on a nitro truck.