Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to RC Cars with some questions.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC Cars with some questions.

Hi, I'm reading to learn which kind of RC Car I should buy but have a few questions, there are a lot of variables.

I think it would be a Stadium Truck, but I don't know if it would be the one for what I want. I'd like a car with speed but mostly I want one that can resist jumps, crashes, etc. Something to use in grass, dirt, pavement.

Between electric and nitro I think the electric one would be the choice due to the lack of maintenance compared to the nitro one.

I don't own neither batteries nor controller.

What would you recommend me?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 2wd stadium truck is a great place to start! And electric is SO easy. I'd look at the Duratrax Evader, the Arrma Vorteks, or the ECX Circuit. They're all around $160. The Evader has been around for a long time, so parts are always available. And the other neat thing is, Duratrax warranties the parts for a year from date of purchase, so any parts you break, they'll replace free! (It takes them forever to do so, so the best thing to do is save up all your broken parts until your year is about up, then send them in. Of course, that means you'll have to buy parts you may break, before you get your freebies....) But really, any of those would be a good new-guy car.

But then, you're going to need a charger and some batteries, too. Figure another $100. This is a great charger: Thunder AC680 Professional Dual-Power LiPo Balance Charger Discharger w AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software and a good Lipo battery: GENS ACE 5000mAh 40C 7.4V Hardcase Lipo Battery Pack Roar Approved (Direct Version)

All of those trucks I mentioned are the brushed motor models. A good place to start to learn how to drive these things. Then when you get more comfortable with it, and start yearning for more speed, they can be upgraded to brushless motor systems with something like this HobbyWing EZRUN Brushless System Combo B2 w 35A ESC & 9T@4300KV 3650M Brushless Motor for 1 12,1 10 on-road racing for experienced drivers. This is exactly what I have in my Evaders. Plenty of power for a 3.5lb car (it'll do 40mph) and is half the cost of the Traxxas or Castle systems.

Whatever you buy, find a set of RPM or T-Bone Racing bumper sets for it. Even if the car already has one, the stockers usually don't really protect the car. And when it's being piloted by a newby, it's something you really need. I'd also suggest that if you have any trees or similar obstructions, that you can put cheap camping sleeping pad foam around the bases. Putting miniature safety cones between the foam and tree REALLY does the trick at preventing damage.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
A 2wd stadium truck is a great place to start! And electric is SO easy. I'd look at the Duratrax Evader, the Arrma Vorteks, or the ECX Circuit. They're all around $160. The Evader has been around for a long time, so parts are always available. And the other neat thing is, Duratrax warranties the parts for a year from date of purchase, so any parts you break, they'll replace free! (It takes them forever to do so, so the best thing to do is save up all your broken parts until your year is about up, then send them in. Of course, that means you'll have to buy parts you may break, before you get your freebies....) But really, any of those would be a good new-guy car.

But then, you're going to need a charger and some batteries, too. Figure another $100. This is a great charger: Thunder AC680 Professional Dual-Power LiPo Balance Charger Discharger w AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software and a good Lipo battery: GENS ACE 5000mAh 40C 7.4V Hardcase Lipo Battery Pack Roar Approved (Direct Version)

All of those trucks I mentioned are the brushed motor models. A good place to start to learn how to drive these things. Then when you get more comfortable with it, and start yearning for more speed, they can be upgraded to brushless motor systems with something like this HobbyWing EZRUN Brushless System Combo B2 w 35A ESC & 9T@4300KV 3650M Brushless Motor for 1 12,1 10 on-road racing for experienced drivers. This is exactly what I have in my Evaders. Plenty of power for a 3.5lb car (it'll do 40mph) and is half the cost of the Traxxas or Castle systems.

Whatever you buy, find a set of RPM or T-Bone Racing bumper sets for it. Even if the car already has one, the stockers usually don't really protect the car. And when it's being piloted by a newby, it's something you really need. I'd also suggest that if you have any trees or similar obstructions, that you can put cheap camping sleeping pad foam around the bases. Putting miniature safety cones between the foam and tree REALLY does the trick at preventing damage.
Wohohow what an answer. Thank you.

Would it be "bad" to start with a 4wd?

And, I was looking for a RTR can I obtain those you listed in a "RTR version"?

Also I found the HPI Mini Recon, is that a good, medium or bad choice?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:11 PM

I say it would be bad to start out in 4x4. 2WD teaches you throttle control and having finesse on the trigger, and it really helps in the long run. Yes, all 3 he listed are RTR; those were just optional upgrades. The Mini recon, from what I understand and have experienced, is a heaping pile of junk. Ask SyCo_VeNoM, he can tell you more than I can.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The recon is a heaping pile of junk
Actually that is too nice of a description it is a festering pile of complete, and utter crap.

Seriously the thing is a complete piece of crap that can't even stand up to its stock system
Problems I've had(this is after 2 runs which were its only runs)
Clipped the tire once not even going fast here is a list of the damages
Broke an A-arm(not a huge deal), a Shock tower, lost dogbone, the spring that centers the dogbone, broke the arm mount on the front(its some stupid tiny piece of plastic), steering servo, servo saver, and 2 rims shattered(crazy thing they were NOT the tire that I clipped).

I was like ok fine that isn't bad replacement parts at the time cause HPI only sells things in parts bags which the assortment of which makes no sense and at the time they were like $35 a bag... It would have cost me $135 + shipping. Yes from one accident I would have had to pay $135 in replacement parts for a $109 RC...
The parts quality on it is garbage the shock towers plastic is brittle, the thing that hold the arms pin in is brittle, and the rims were extremely brittle. I shattered one of the non broken ones just squeezing it in my hand...

Ohh my stock ESC burnt up 10 seconds into its 2nd run(on the stock battery) so I had to put a different ESC into it which is where the above damage happened.

Other owners that used to post (we had like 8 ppl) would complain the diffs would strip on the 3rd - 4th run

The only thing that is not a piece of crap on the vehicle is the radio. Its pretty decent for a RTR radio, but was not worth $109

Also the RC is a poorly done copy of the Megatech Megapro the only difference between the 2 is the chassis where the motor mounts are drilled. I did repair my recon with megatech parts which cost me like $50(I bought the aluminum upgrade kit), but unfortunately the site that sold the megatech parts seems to be out of stock on the majority as the vehicle seems to no longer be made. Hell I was very disapointed as I could have bought the megapro off that site for $40, and had the same RC...

As for starting with 4WD honestly everyone has their own opinion. Personally I love 4wd as it allows more control, and you can get more power to the ground so the RC can go over more, and accelerate faster.
Some people claim they are harder to repair... personally I don't see them as much harder it any as I've worked on some 2wd trannies that it took me longer to rebuild them then it would have took me to take apart the entire drivetrain on some 4wd RC's.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

team associated SC10 or SC10 RS. The RS version is faster as it has a brushless system. the cheaper version has a brushed system. Both are electric, both are quick. The SC10 handles great, jumps great and can take a beating.
The brushed is $200 and the brushless version is $300. both version come with everything Except a battery and charger. with either version you can choose to go with NIMH or Lipo batteries. Lipo batteries are much better, and these days don't really cost that much extra (depending on where you shop)
Lipo requires lipo specific charger.
The sc10 gets my vote because it is fun to race or to bash around the backyard. It takes a good deal of abuse and keeps going. And any short course style truck does well on most surfaces, dirt, sand, gravel, pavement and short grass.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Collector. 2wd does teach you throttle control and how to counter-steer. I say "easier to work on" mainly because with 4wd, you have a good deal more moving parts to maintain. When I got my first car, I was a little intimidated at first to open it up. A 4wd would have completely intimidated me. And I'm mechanically minded! But once I finally did open up the tranny and diff and saw how it all worked, it was simple! THEN, once I got the 4wd, it was just, "Oh, OK, I just have two more diffs to deal with." Everything else was familiar.

So then, when I got the 4wd car, I was surprised how much easier it was to drive it fast. What was REALLY different was how much it resisted spinning out, with the front wheels pulling. And if I DID spin it, recovery was quick and catching my buddy was much easier, not being 3/4 of a lap behind.