Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Recommendations please

Old 09-30-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations please

Hi all, new guy here!!

I bought my son an off road electric monster truck when he was 4 - a little early as this thing went about 30mph and soon had pieces missing. Anyway, after a lot of repair work over the last 5 years it has finally given up and gone to the remote control scrap heap in the sky. So this is where I'm after some advice...he wants a new one and I'm looking at around 100 budget (could be a little more). He wants it to be an off road style as he loves ripping it over diet jumps and through mud. I'm a complete novice so it needs to be easy to maintain and have good parts available. Also good battery life, but pretty fast too!!

So not a lot to ask which is why I need your advice ....??
Old 09-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

up the cost some

HPI Wheely king is a pretty good low cost monster truck(not sure how much it costs in the UK though).
Its water proof, has 4 inch tall tires, and works pretty well. I used to drive mine through the snow, and it was a blast (needed its parts for another project)
Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the advice, think that may be a little pricy as I'm sure it will be damaged within a few hours but I've heard good things about HPI so I might have a look on their website. Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing about HPI is that their cars, for some reason, have become a real hit-or-miss on quality. The Wheely King being one of the few that seem to be ok, along with the Savage. Maybe take a look at the ECX Ruckus. Or the Arrma Granite. They can be had for under $200 here.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:45 AM

Wow the ECX looks great, is it http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=48974
Old 10-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to beat a dead horse but you would be hard pressed to find something stronger, cheaper and with more part support than a good old fashioned 2WD Stampede.

I built one of the kid when he was about 4 (he's 10 now) and he's beat this thing within and inch of it's life without anything major breaking. We've gone through a number of motors, a whole pile of tires, a few bearings and a couple of spur gears but nothing really else. Oh... I did have to replace the rear skid plate at one point as he had jumped it so much that he had worn through (not broke) the rear skid plate.

The truck literally has 1000's of runs on it.

best part is you can find nice running examples on Ebay all day long for well under $100. Most with hopups and batteries.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by john01374
I hate to beat a dead horse but you would be hard pressed to find something stronger, cheaper and with more part support than a good old fashioned 2WD Stampede.

I built one of the kid when he was about 4 (he's 10 now) and he's beat this thing within and inch of it's life without anything major breaking. We've gone through a number of motors, a whole pile of tires, a few bearings and a couple of spur gears but nothing really else. Oh... I did have to replace the rear skid plate at one point as he had jumped it so much that he had worn through (not broke) the rear skid plate.

The truck literally has 1000's of runs on it.

best part is you can find nice running examples on Ebay all day long for well under $100. Most with hopups and batteries.
He's in the UK Stampede is 209
Wheely king is 179 though from what I see on modelsport.co.uk

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 10-01-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, I didn't realize there was a 2wd Stampede. Silly me. But yeah, big time after market support. You can turn a "pede into just about anything, as Jang on URC has demonstrated. But it's a good deal larger. That can be a plus in the ruggedness department, but perhaps a negative if you've got a small space for your "shop".

But yeah, that is the Ruckus I was talking about, Senior West. Maybe also look at their Circuit stadium truck.

So, Syco, the Wheely King is one of the good HPI models? I'll try to remember that.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Ah, I didn't realize there was a 2wd Stampede. Silly me. But yeah, big time after market support. You can turn a "pede into just about anything, as Jang on URC has demonstrated. But it's a good deal larger. That can be a plus in the ruggedness department, but perhaps a negative if you've got a small space for your "shop".

But yeah, that is the Ruckus I was talking about, Senior West. Maybe also look at their Circuit stadium truck.

So, Syco, the Wheely King is one of the good HPI models? I'll try to remember that.
Well its pretty decent as long as you don't throw some brushless setup in it which the tranny can't take. There were some aftermarket tranny gears made though that could take BL from what I remember as we had one member who modded it to the point he could jump his pickup truck lol (it didn't last very long after that). Other option would be a custom chassis that allowed a axial tranny to mount up(the diffs are the exact same ratio as the SCX's). In stock form though its pretty much unbreakable(not counting those freak accidents) as most the plastic is pretty flexible.