Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

RC4WD AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Wraith or SCX10 Review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC4WD AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Wraith or SCX10 Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:13 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC4WD AX2 2 Speed Transmission for Wraith or SCX10 Review

Wanted to share my experience with this transmission after running it for ~75 battery packs in my brushless Axial SCX10.

>What I didn't like:
-Price tag will eliminate most casual drivers ($129.99 from most retailers). Aimed more for guys who know what they're doing and play hard on a regular basis.
-No instructions included in box besides a referral to RC4WD's website which has little help. Took me a good 3-4 hours to get it installed and running in my long wheelbase SCX10 (RC4WD makes fitment into the SCX10 chassis sound much easier than it actually is, but it can be done). Installation into an SCX10 requires a shorter rear driveshaft in most cases (RC4WD makes all different length steel driveshafts; I found their Punisher shaft for the Tamiya High Lift worked perfectly after boring out the yokes).
-Does not include spur gear cover (stock one will not fit). I did not personally have an issue but many guys like to have a cover.
-Shifting servo will require some fine tuning in order for it to stay in the selected gear (transmission is very particular on how the shifting servo and linkage are set). Tuning the movement of the shifting servo can be time consuming depending on how nice of radio you have.

>What I liked:
-RC4WD makes getting replacement parts very easy with their website.
-Very well built. Nice, anodized, machined aluminum casing with all steel gears inside.
-Able to use full size or micro servo for shifting duty.
-Converts gears to 32p which are much beefier and more durable than the stock 48p gears.
-Makes the truck much more versatile. First gear is much lower than factory gearing, second is noticeably higher (lower bottom end speed for better crawling and more torque, while overall speed is given a boost too thanks to second gear).

>Overall:
-Would definitely recommend this transmission, but only if you are prepared to spend a good bit of time and money on it.
-Also look into Axial's dig kit for the Wraith, part number AX30793 (can also be made to fit the SCX10).
-Check it out: http://store.rc4wd.com/AX2-2-Speed-T...ho_p_2463.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4WD_6602.jpg
Views:	2960
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	2037288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0049.jpg
Views:	2369
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2037289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0186.jpg
Views:	4111
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2037290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0187.jpg
Views:	2470
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2037291  
Old 10-05-2014, 04:18 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome wright up, thanks for sharing

In the pic I've noticed the gearbox is not centred and the motor is hanging over the side??
personally I've found setups with the motor on the right side have more torque twist... So I'd hate to think how bad it would of been with it all the way over to the right.... And one would think it would really throw the L/R weight balance out?

is there a way to correct that??

Last edited by phmaximus; 10-05-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:27 PM
phmaximus

I was running the axial DIG unit on one of my SCX10's, but have removed it now.
the good thing about the Axial DIG is it's centred. And like the 2speed the drive shafts are to long... But rather than buying more I used the shorter shafts that came with it in the spare parts bag.

here is a pic, it's not the best

Last edited by phmaximus; 10-05-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:30 PM
phmaximus

As u can see I've since removed it to comply with the class 2 truck rules. At the same time I've removed the gear cover and mirrored the gearbox

As good as the DIG suit was, it's a lot better at crawling without it

Last edited by phmaximus; 10-05-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:39 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Awesome wright up, thanks for sharing

In the pic I've noticed the gearbox is not centred and the motor is hanging over the side??
personally I've found setups with the motor on the right side have more torque twist... So I'd hate to think how bad it would of been with it all the way over to the right.... And one would think it would really throw the L/R weight balance out?

is there a way to correct that??
I'm not crazy about the way it mounts either, but turning the tranny around backwards and mounting it like this is the only way I have seen to get it to fit in the 12.3" wheelbase. If you mount it any other way, the driveshaft angles are too severe and they bind. I have noticed that it's slightly tippier like this than stock, but this thing is pretty heavy at this point between the transmission, second battery for lights, steel bumpers front and rear, steel beadlocks, etc. so it's not a deal-breaker for me. Pics from today's trail run up in a second.