Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Truck pogos from big air

Old 05-25-2015, 05:50 AM
Updating

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck pogos from big air

I've been experiencing a lot of pogo from jumping big. What are recommendations to help the shocks actually absorb the impacts? One recommendation I read about was to preload the springs more and run a heavier weight oil.

Current Setup Details:
HPI savage flux XS
stock tires
50wt oil
stock shocks & springs
Stock pistons
rear @ 9-10mm preload
front @ 7-8mm preload
Mounting - in lower setting, and I'll be standing the shocks more upright.

I'd like to absorb and not bounce away from a landing, as if I'm on a trampoline.

Thanks for reading, and your help is appreciated.

Vid of some air examples for reference.

https://youtu.be/bLDWou9rvgI
Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Go Seals! You know why I'm saying that if you shot that video .

In the video, it looks like the shock oil is maybe too thick coupled with shock pistons that have too small of holes; thus not allowing the shocks to get full travel and not getting a chance to do their job? That's my first guess. Going for big air and setting up the suspension to not allow the chassis take a big hit is a fine line in shock tuning.

I like to do a static drop of my RCs from about two feet off the ground. Having my buggy and trucks (ST/SC) to have the tiniest chassis slap at that 2' height is what I go for when setting up my vehicles, then I go test on my track for fine tuning. But what you got (Monster Truck & big air) is a whole different set-up.

Doing a static drop with your RC in front of you can help you determine what direction to go in when tuning your shocks for big air.

Sorry not much help here.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-25-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Updating

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Go Seals! You know why I'm saying that if you shot that video .

In the video, it looks like the shock oil is maybe too thick coupled with shock pistons that have too small of holes; thus not allowing the shocks to get full travel and not getting a chance to do their job? That's my first guess. Going for big air and setting up the suspension to not allow the chassis take a big hit is a fine line in shock tuning.

I like to do a static drop of my RCs from about two feet off the ground. Having my buggy and trucks (ST/SC) to have the tiniest chassis slap at that 2' height is what I go for when setting up my vehicles, then I go test on my track for fine tuning. But what you got (Monster Truck & big air) is a whole different set-up.

Doing a static drop with your RC in front of you can help you determine what direction to go in when tuning your shocks.

Sorry not much help here.
That is a help. I was already thinking about bigger piston hole.

Also, my comrade and i shot the video, Go Seals!

I will mess around with some static drops. I find myself already doing this, but just out of liking to drop truck. I'll pay more attention to the suspension reactions and try some tuning with this technique.

Thanks again
Old 05-25-2015, 09:36 AM
cetme308

Static drop and having different sets of shocks for various heights makes changes easier the second time. Just make sure to take notes.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 PM
dlegolpolp

it looks like the shock oil is maybe too thick coupled with shock pistons that have too small of holes
Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Updating

Originally Posted by dlegolpolp
it looks like the shock oil is maybe too thick coupled with shock pistons that have too small of holes
I did swap the stock 35wt for 50wt. I have some spare Pistons I'm going to drill out a little give a test run.

I I jumped to the 50wt oil for a starting and it may be to heavy.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:14 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Trial and error. I guess that's what it comes down to. For my buggy and ST/SC trucks, I keep a range of oil on hand 20, 25,30, 32.5, 35, 40, 45 weights. I rarely use the 20w and 45w, but there are times I do experiment a little with pistons hole sizes and need the lightest and heaviest shock oil I have. Who knows? Now that a new 4x4 (monster buggy/rock racer) addition is coming to my family I may stock up on some heavy stuff.

Sometimes a shock piston with 30w oil and small holes will have the same effect as using 40w oil and a piston with a larger hole. Most of the time I run my RCs with the stock setup or within a degree or two. I dislike taking shocks apart and rebuilding them for the sole purpose of adjusting the weights of the oil to get the action I want. I really dislike messing with e-clips to change pistons and is probably why I just try different weights of oil .

I think there is a Savage Flux XS thread or two on RCU. Maybe give a shout out and see if anyone has a setup that could possibly work for you.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:16 PM
nitroexpress

Use spring preload to set the ride height. On largest jump, use shock oil to set the shock pack so the chassis lightly contacts the ground. If you're bunny hopping, lighten up the springs.