Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Prolonging Life of Rubber Parts

Old 05-30-2015, 04:31 PM
etopsflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prolonging Life of Rubber Parts

Hi Guys

I store my nitro cars in a hot and humid environment. They subjected to heat and humidity but not UV light.

I find the rubber parts such as carb boots, and my Traxxas Revo 3.3 driveshaft boots will perish after some time.

To minimise cost and down time repairing these frequently replaced parts, is there anything I can physically apply to rubber parts to protect them and extend their longevity from my storage environment. Thanks!

Etops
Old 05-30-2015, 04:55 PM
cetme308

Instead of thinking it as a RC issue, I'd look up rubber maintenance info and look for any info about helping against the heat and humidity.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:37 PM
DieHarder

Armor All does a good job of protecting rubber and keeping it hydrated. Nitro fuel works too or carb cleaner.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:24 PM
nitroexpress

http://www.coolridesonline.net/news-...-classic-cars/
Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 PM
etopsflight

Guys

Thanks for the info.

I did a quick search and will try silicone grease in solid form.

Anybody got a specific product that they use and have found good results?

Cheers
Etops
Old 05-31-2015, 02:48 AM
RustyUs

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by etopsflight View Post
I did a quick search and will try silicone grease in solid form.

Anybody got a specific product that they use and have found good results?
Anything with silicone should do the job...what ever I have in the garage would have to do. Black Magic Tire Wet, that sits here beside me would work, as it's silicone based.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 AM
moparbarn

GOJO original hand cleaner! About 20 years ago, my next door neighbor was restoring a '72 dodge charger. This was in n. fl., where heat & humidity is king. He was trying to revive some of his rubber moldings, tried GOJO on the strip on the hood that seals the upper radiator brace/header panel. Prolly the hottest place that rubber is used on that car, the rubber strip was dull, hard & very brittle. He cleaned it with the GOJO, to prep it for treatment. Well, NO further treatment was needed! The strip was soft (but not "gummy"), clean & had a nice matte shine, not like the artificial shine & slippery feeling you get with armor all type products. My best guess is that the lanolin is beneficial to rubber (-;
Old 05-31-2015, 08:10 AM
RustyUs

GOJO without the pumice or micro bead stuff I assume. Interesting. Now that you mention it, I do recall someone over in another forum site (RC Tech?) using the stuff as a tire softener. Tire saucing...that's some crazy/weird/good times there in my RC life.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:55 PM
moparbarn

After thinking about this, the axle boots are more likely silicone based rather than rubber based.....another good product is "Sil-Glyde", a (thin) silicone paste marketed by NAPA auto parts as a dressing for the glass run channels on autos. Choose your weapon depending on the base material.

Rusty, that was the one thing I really thought was cool about GOJO, it did not seem to soften/break down/or leave the rubber "tacky". Now on a foam indoor rc tire......?? Yes, no pumice, just plain ol' original GOJO, blue can, IIRC.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:18 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DieHarder View Post
Armor All does a good job of protecting rubber and keeping it hydrated. Nitro fuel works too or carb cleaner.
Nitro fuel or carb cleaner?! Really? SOLVENTS? I doubt that seriously, Nate. That would be like trying to moisturize your hands with rubbing alcohol, don't you think? Armor All might be better, but I think the plain silicone lube would be better for the rubber/silicone parts. I would think that it's not so much the heat and humidity that is corroding the rubber bits, but the nitro fuel itself.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:20 PM
DieHarder

Oh, damn. I messed that up. I typed up "Wurth Gel works too or Simple Green." but then I changed my point and accidentally just replaced the two products I listed and not the rest of the sentence. You can see I also accidentally backspaced too far when changing them, erasing the "or" (which I replaced) and only had one "o" on the 'too' (that I missed when replacing "or"). So I meant to say, "don't use nitro fuel or carb cleaner.". Good catch Rob. Wurth Gel and Simple Green 'sorta' work, which is why I changed my point when typing. My bad.
Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
Nitro fuel or carb cleaner?! Really? SOLVENTS? I doubt that seriously, Nate. That would be like trying to moisturize your hands with rubbing alcohol, don't you think? Armor All might be better, but I think the plain silicone lube would be better for the rubber/silicone parts. I would think that it's not so much the heat and humidity that is corroding the rubber bits, but the nitro fuel itself.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:34 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

etopsflight and rc guys i use turtle wax f21 super protectant work well brings back softness in tires from the dirt and keeps plastic parts like new
works great
Old 06-06-2015, 02:09 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by mugeyman View Post
etopsflight and rc guys i use turtle wax f21 super protectant work well brings back softness in tires from the dirt and keeps plastic parts like new
works great
Turtle Wax site has no f21...discontinued possibly? Maybe they are working on f21v2.6 or something now? Just kidding.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:06 PM
phmaximus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those revo driveshaft boots are terrible. When I had my revo I replaced them once but they split only a few months later... So after that I stopped using them. After some research I found I was not the only person that had problems with them. And the most common fix was not to use them.

personally I don't receomend anything containing silicon on rubber parts. i found it makes them crack.... I learnt that the hard way on a set of revo 17mm hex wheels... The bead seperated from the side wall on all 4 tyres. I put it down to using tyre shine from work, because it was the only set of wheels that it happened to.

im very sceptical on products that are said to "protect rubber" But that's just me.

I regularly coat all my cars in a dry silicon spray (garage door lube) but I'm careful not to get anything rubber. And in all my shocks I use Losi o ring grease to protect the oring from the shock oil.

I don't know, I wouldent stress about the revo boots, but the Carbys dust boot is a worry..... but
Are we talking a 3 year old carby boots? Because if u can get a few years out of the $6 carby boot, it might work out cheaper and last longer to buy three of the boots then one tube of rubber protector?