Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 AM
Luexor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me!

I can't decide between a mini e revo vxl or a savage flux xs. Ive heard they both have there share of problems. But I want it to be bulletproof. Which one do you recommend
Old 07-21-2015, 08:39 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt there are any RCs that are truly bulletproof, not without additions of aftermarket bumpers and some aluminum bits. You are gonna break stuff. Nature of the hobby, especially in the smaller classes.

That said, after looking at a lot of pictures of the Savage XS, and having seen a MERV in-person, I'd probably go for the Savage. It's built better than the MERV. I think you'll have less trouble with it. The MERV I saw at a local track had a two steering servo setup, as the car uses mini servos, and one isn't up to the task according to its owner.

If you really want "bulletproof" (I still put that in quotes) you gotta go 8th-scale.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:00 PM
collector1231

I do suggest what Rob said, but the MERV has a ton of aftermarket parts that make it nearly indestructible from RPM.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by collector1231
I do suggest what Rob said, but the MERV has a ton of aftermarket parts that make it nearly indestructible from RPM.
yes it does have a ton, and pretty much needs them Hell some should be mandatory out of the box like the springs, and shock oils as the stock ones the merv does what people have deemed the peeing dog on turns(picking one of the wheels high up in the air as the shocks are way too soft)
Could also buy a 1/10th scale buggy as the merv is the same size as my tamiya DF-02.

Being said as a merv owner. If I had the choice today of a xs or merv I'd grab the XS without a 2nd thought.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Luexor

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
yes it does have a ton, and pretty much needs them Hell some should be mandatory out of the box like the springs, and shock oils as the stock ones the merv does what people have deemed the peeing dog on turns(picking one of the wheels high up in the air as the shocks are way too soft)
Could also buy a 1/10th scale buggy as the merv is the same size as my tamiya DF-02.

Being said as a merv owner. If I had the choice today of a xs or merv I'd grab the XS without a 2nd thought.
Originally Posted by collector1231
What upgrades do you recommend
Old 07-21-2015, 05:24 PM
DieHarder

Savage XS!
Old 07-21-2015, 08:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by Luexor
What upgrades do you recommend
sheesh
springs(forgot the rate), shock oil, metal chassis braces so the chassis don't snap, arms, knuckles, tires, driveshafts, and the center diff(this is optional, but gives better control). The things ion bold are pretty much needed out of the box. The tires are pretty terrible

Basically the majority of the vehicle. In all honesty for how much those parts cost on top of the mervs cost you could get a way better vehicle in 1/10th scale as even with them the merv will STILL suck offroad. It also needs a small battery pack which I've bought a few that claim they fit to find them not fitting right.
Honestly I've dropped prolly around $100 into parts on the merv, and still don't like its handling too much. Prior to the parts being added I hated it with a passion.

If you plan on doing driving on grass definitely forget the merv its design causes a lot of drag

The savage XS I believe uses more standard size batteries. Most the problems I heard of were with the initial batch years ago as the electronics they included sucked, and blew, but were replaced in the 2nd batch.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, there your have it. Thanks for chiming in, Syco. (I was looking at the merv before I got my Hyper TT. Glad I went with the TT!)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Foxy

The MERV Is great, but a really expensive truck when all is said and done. I would not own one without ALL of the following upgrades.

Metal balls for all ball joints (reduce all that slop and friction)
Long wheelbase rear arms (make it less tail happy and more predictable)
The Traxxas Response truggy like lightweight wheels and tires (these are the ticket to making it feel good, they're so light, transform the truck)
Metal CVD driveshafts all around, including center (plastic stock? Kidding, right?)
Alloy servo horn (cos the stock one may as well be made of rubber)
Alloy shocks and black and brown springs (everything about the stock shocks sucks)
Alloy pushrod arms and turnbuckles (see alloy servo horn)
Ballrace (replace plastic bushings with bearings) the suspension pushrod and steering system

After that, it's not just a good RC, it's a GREAT RC, but you can do better for that kind of money and less.

Last edited by Foxy; 07-25-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:49 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by Foxy
The MERV Is great, but a really expensive truck when all is said and done. I would not own one without ANY of the following upgrades, which are all essential...

Metal balls for all ball joints (reduce all that slop and friction)
Long wheelbase rear arms (make it less tail happy and more predictable)
The Traxxas Response truggy like lightweight wheels and tires (these are the ticket to making it feel good, they're so light, transform the truck)
Metal CVD driveshafts all around, including center (plastic stock? Kidding, right?)
Alloy servo horn (cos the stock one may as well be made of rubber)
Alloy shocks and black and brown springs (everything about the stock shocks sucks)
Alloy pushrod arms and turnbuckles (see alloy servo horn)
Ballrace (replace plastic bushings with bearings) the suspension pushrod and steering system

After that, it's not just a good RC, it's a GREAT RC, but you can do better for that kind of money and less.
knew I forgot some stuff lol
forgot I swapped to metal ball joints as the stock plastics kept falling apart on me.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:48 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As you see the MERV needs a handful of thoughtful upgrades from the beginning. This is not to say that it's junk as it is. I've owned an XS and my brother has the MERV/Summit platform. They're both fun truck but when they're sitting side by side the XS looks "thicker" and over-built compared to the MERV. For straight out-of-the-box durability, go with the XS. My only gripe was that changing the pinions was more cumbersome than it should be. It's similar to the old Tamiya motor mounts in that you have notches to select from. The MERV has a slotted plate for infinitely variable adjustment which helps you fine tune gear mesh.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:07 AM
DieHarder

Welcome back BK! Long time no see!
Old 08-04-2015, 03:21 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a Savage XS but I have had a MERV and if I had to pick between the two I would definately go for the Savage. As Foxy & SyCo_VeNoM said the MERV needs a lot of upgrades out of the box to be decent and even then I really didn't enjoy it.

Last edited by robwiljas; 08-04-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:00 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DieHarder
Welcome back BK! Long time no see!
Thank you. I see that you've been appointed head of the RCU welcoming committee. I poked my head in here about once or twice a year as I just flat didn't have much free time to shoot the breeze here as I once did. I don't know that I'll sign in as often but I have a little down time once in a while. I took a hiatus from RC but, I've been tinkering with them lately.