Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

RedCat Volcano EPX - Steering Hub/Dog Bone Issue

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RedCat Volcano EPX - Steering Hub/Dog Bone Issue

Old 07-25-2015, 06:26 AM
smithmb01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RedCat Volcano EPX - Steering Hub/Dog Bone Issue

I have an issue with my Volcano EPX that I am hoping someone can assist me with. After some extended use the lower screw on the steering hub came out. The thread was shot. When the screw came out we lost the dog bone. I replaced the steering hubs and hub carriers with aluminum ones and replaced the dog bone. The front right side had the initial issue and on this side, after replacing all the parts, the dog bone has too much play in it. If you make a sharp right turn the dog bone, close to the right front tire, the dog bone will creep out of the steering axle cup, see image on the right below). The other side is perfectly fine (imagine on the left). Is there a bushing or something that should be in the cup connected to the gear box or is there some other tweaking that can be done to prevent this from happening. I'm worried that something else fell out when the screw dropped out of the steering hub and we lost the dog bone. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side.PNG
Views:	3994
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	2111067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side.PNG
Views:	2770
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	2111068  
Old 07-26-2015, 07:51 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Try tightening up the top tierod first, and then if that doesn't work, you need some seals for the outdrives on the transmission to push the shaft into the cup from the outdrives.

http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...m-x-2-2mm-8pcs
Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 AM
john01374

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you bought the correct Drive shaft. The correct part number for the EPX is 08029 and they are 90mm. I just bring this up as they are different than the nitro model which is only 87mm. The Volcano models don't use any kind of springs or o-rings in the drive cups for spacing.

Remove both front drive shafts and compare them. I'm guessing that one is shorted than the other. My guess is that you bought the 08059 shaft for the nitro model.

Last edited by john01374; 07-26-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:13 AM
smithmb01

Collector1231 - Last night I tinkered with the tie rods and that helped a little, but the issue still remained. When I was buying spare parts, I saw those O-Rings on the parts list, but the diagram does not show where they are used so I didn't purchase them. Anyway, I ordered the o-rings and some eclips from the supplier you provided the link to.

John - Thanks for your comment too. I was fortunate enough to find the old dog bone in the driveway (coated with rust) and I compared it to the new one - perfect match. And, when I replaced the steering hubs and hub carriers with aluminum ones I doubled checked that they were the same size as the one on the left front side just to be sure.

I now have enough spare parts to replace just about anything minor that breaks or falls off the Volcano EPX. Not having spare parts puts you at a real disadvantage if something breaks. you have to wait for the parts to arrive and then pay for shipping again.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 AM
n5n442

Originally Posted by john01374 View Post
Are you sure you bought the correct Drive shaft. The correct part number for the EPX is 08029 and they are 90mm. I just bring this up as they are different than the nitro model which is only 87mm. The Volcano models don't use any kind of springs or o-rings in the drive cups for spacing.

Remove both front drive shafts and compare them. I'm guessing that one is shorted than the other. My guess is that you bought the 08059 shaft for the nitro model.

Do you have the interesting in making review?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 AM
EXT2Rob

Does Redcat offer an upgrade in the form of CVD front axles? Plain dogbones for steering wheels are not the greatest.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:27 AM
john01374

Don't really have the time. I just know this as I was a Redcat dealer for a couple of years and have seen people make this exact mistake dozens of times.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:18 PM
john01374

EXT2Rob - Redcat does or at least they did have universal shafts for the EPX PRO. It was part number 08046.

I'm not sure if they still make them as there were early complaints of failures on the brushless models. There are a number of people that have used the Stampede Shafts to cure the issues. If you search on here you'll find a couple of posts.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redc...t-upgrade.html
Old 07-28-2015, 01:16 PM
EXT2Rob

Hey good. I just thought the OP might be better off getting CVDs for his front end. Would probably solve his issue, no?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:37 PM
john01374

If they don't break then yes.

If they break after a couple of runs its not worth the money or headache
Old 08-02-2015, 04:59 PM
smithmb01

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support with my steering hub/dog bone issue. The o-rings did the trick - I had to use three of them! In any event, it did the trick and my son is back in action.

I like the EPX shaft upgrade that john01374 recommended. I'm going to look into those once my son puts some more hours on his red cat. That's the way to go.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:03 PM
collector1231

Originally Posted by smithmb01 View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone for their support with my steering hub/dog bone issue. The o-rings did the trick - I had to use three of them! In any event, it did the trick and my son is back in action.

I like the EPX shaft upgrade that john01374 recommended. I'm going to look into those once my son puts some more hours on his red cat. That's the way to go.
Awesome! Glad to hear they worked for you.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:24 AM
smithmb01

I ended up replacing my dogbones with the upgraded universal drive joint part number 108015. The o-rings helped, but it was short lived. The dogbones were the correct size too. Perhaps a more experienced person could have adjusted the linkages to compensate, but I could not do so.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:15 AM
collector1231

Glad you got it sorted and your buggy's still running. I prefer universal driveshafts, they are much smoother than the old dogbone setup.

I'd suggest though to not bump threads if there is no active conversation or question.