Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Check out this load of baloney!

Old 07-29-2015, 05:35 PM
  #1  
collector1231
Moderator
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
collector1231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: A place in a place.
Posts: 4,192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out this load of baloney!

http://www.liverc.com/news/new_produ...aw_LiPo_packs/

Pffffft. 7.6V LiPOs? Bunch a crap. I can charge any old LiPO to 8.7V if I purposely unbalance the cells and put it on a balance charge. Heck, I could even do that with a NiMH pack. A long time ago, professional ROAR racers used to charge their NiCD cells before assembling the pack to a higher voltage than they were rated for. No guarantee it'd be safe, but thats what I'm worried about. I bet you that this LRP 8.7V crap is just an overcharged standard LiPO pack and will explode eventually and cause lots of problems. So, if you see these batteries, DO NOT buy them. LiPOs are not good things to overcharge.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:20 PM
  #2  
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North West Indiana
Posts: 12,789
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

that or they found some source for cells that are non-standard, but made with the same chemicals as lipos.
like how they claim the runtime increases due to the voltage...

personally though I wouldn't trust them, and I don't think any standard lipo charger would even charge them to their supposedly rated voltage as all the ones I seen are setup to cut out at 8.4 volts when you enter 2S

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 07-29-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:24 PM
  #3  
collector1231
Moderator
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
collector1231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: A place in a place.
Posts: 4,192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
that or they found some source for cells that are non-standard, but made with the same chemicals as lipos.
like how they claim the runtime increases due to the voltage...

personally though I wouldn't trust them, and I don't think any standard lipo charger would even charge them to their supposedly rated voltage as all the ones I seen are setup to cut out at 8.4 volts when you enter 2S
I agree with everything you say, and the charger was another thing I wanted to post but forgot.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 PM
  #4  
robwiljas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Not all LiPos have a max charge voltage of 4.2V per cell, there are also 4.35V cells. 4.2V cells are just what you're used to, that doesn't mean 4.35V cells are being overcharged or are any more dangerous than what you're used to. A little bit of research on LiPo chemistry batteries might be a good idea before deciding something is junk and/or dangerous. A lot of people thought the same thing about LiPos in general and now look how popular they are.

As for chargers, a lot of chargers let you set the max voltage.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:28 AM
  #5  
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North West Indiana
Posts: 12,789
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

You act like this is standard knowledge... The 4.35 cell from what I can find written on the internet JUST came out last month(and I had to do a lil bit of digging for that), and cells are only made by one company which is Hyperion HK.

As for the chargers all the chargers I've used (3-4 different models/brands) though do not let you specify lipo cell voltage its auto set in 3.4v increments as until last month the lipo cells only had one voltage so there was no need to modify it. Sure you could change the max voltage a pack would have, but the chargers I've used won't access the balance leads, and treat it as a NiMh battery.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 AM
  #6  
robwiljas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Do a little more digging, Turnigy had 4.35V cells last year. It really doesn't matter though, the point is they exist, they're not "baloney" and they're not dangerous and being overcharged.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:24 PM
  #7  
collector1231
Moderator
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
collector1231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: A place in a place.
Posts: 4,192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by robwiljas View Post
Do a little more digging, Turnigy had 4.35V cells last year. It really doesn't matter though, the point is they exist, they're not "baloney" and they're not dangerous and being overcharged.
Thats Hobbyking. Of course it would be faked/overcharged.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:53 PM
  #8  
robwiljas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
Thats Hobbyking. Of course it would be faked/overcharged.
Whether you like Hobbyking is besides the point. 4.35v per cell LiPos exist and are safe. Your post is just flat out wrong. Do you honestly think you know more about LiPos and what is safe than the manufacturers of them do? You seem to have a major problem accepting when you're wrong.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:57 PM
  #9  
collector1231
Moderator
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
collector1231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: A place in a place.
Posts: 4,192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by robwiljas View Post
Whether you like Hobbyking is besides the point. 4.35v per cell LiPos exist and are safe. Your post is just flat out wrong. Do you honestly think you know more about LiPos and what is safe than the manufacturers of them do? You seem to have a major problem accepting when you're wrong.
I'm not about to get into an argument with you, but your posts are nothing but low quality bait. You also have trouble accepting when you are wrong and love following people around and telling them they are wrong. Its the internet. People have opinions. If you can't respect other's opinions, then go unplug your modem.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1409692467886.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	2111960  
Old 07-30-2015, 03:24 PM
  #10  
robwiljas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

lol What? How are my posts low quality bait, and how am I following you? I have had two interactions with you that I can recall, this thread, and one where someone asked how to tell which version Revo they have. In that thread, you gave completely false info presented as fact and got mad at me for saying it wasn't true. In this thread, you present your opinion as fact and get mad at me because I suggested doing more research. I'm really not trying to be rude to you, and I apologize if I came across that way. It's hard to tell someone's tone in text. It just bothers me that you insult a major R/C company (LRP) and insinuate you know more than they do about products they make.

Please show me an example of where I have been unable to accept being wrong.

Last edited by robwiljas; 07-30-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:44 PM
  #11  
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,984
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I like how tense threads like this always have viewers around the clock.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:12 PM
  #12  
collector1231
Moderator
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
collector1231's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: A place in a place.
Posts: 4,192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by robwiljas View Post
lol What? How are my posts low quality bait, and how am I following you? I have had two interactions with you that I can recall, this thread, and one where someone asked how to tell which version Revo they have. In that thread, you gave completely false info presented as fact and got mad at me for saying it wasn't true. In this thread, you present your opinion as fact and get mad at me because I suggested doing more research. I'm really not trying to be rude to you, and I apologize if I came across that way. It's hard to tell someone's tone in text. It just bothers me that you insult a major R/C company (LRP) and insinuate you know more than they do about products they make.

Please show me an example of where I have been unable to accept being wrong.
I'm not even gonna try and argue with you, because I'm trying to not turn this into a pissing match. But I will respond. And where I last saw you "attack" me is was in the Revo thread. What I think is that I misunderstood your tone as anger because you were straight forward and to the point. No one on the internet really talks or acts like that, lol. And thats where I got the bad opinion from you, and you said your last comment like the one in the Revo thread, proving to me you were kind of a piece o' work. But now that I know you are just internet-talking challenged in a way, that changes my opinion of you. Keep in mind this is the Internet, not a real life social gathering, lol.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:36 AM
  #13  
ghostofpf1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: pinole, CA
Posts: 156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by robwiljas View Post
Do a little more digging, Turnigy had 4.35V cells last year. It really doesn't matter though, the point is they exist, they're not "baloney" and they're not dangerous and being overcharged.
Yep old news.Shame that you'll now have to suffer the slings and arrows for mentioning HK on RCU
Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 AM
  #14  
KC Air
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The internet has turned all facts into opinions, and vice-verse. You can usually find an opposing view to any supposition you make. Try not to get bent if you read something you don't agree with, and, as Abe Lincoln once said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

Letting go of the urge to "set the record straight" when you are browsing the web is most liberating indeed.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 AM
  #15  
robwiljas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 1,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
I'm not even gonna try and argue with you, because I'm trying to not turn this into a pissing match. But I will respond. And where I last saw you "attack" me is was in the Revo thread. What I think is that I misunderstood your tone as anger because you were straight forward and to the point. No one on the internet really talks or acts like that, lol. And thats where I got the bad opinion from you, and you said your last comment like the one in the Revo thread, proving to me you were kind of a piece o' work. But now that I know you are just internet-talking challenged in a way, that changes my opinion of you. Keep in mind this is the Internet, not a real life social gathering, lol.

That's funny, because I have the same opinion of you. If you go back and read that Revo thread, you'll find that all I originally said to you was "That's not true. The original Revo didn't have the silver head 2.5, it had the 2.5R which has a blue head." and you attacked me for it calling me a "smart-alek". In my opinion the problem lies in you taking me disagreeing with you as a personal attack. I post on a lot of forums and I'm even a moderator on a couple and you're the first person that I can recall with a problem with my posting style or anyone being direct and to the point for that matter. Anyway there's no point in carrying this on, we both know each others opinions and will have to agree to disagree.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:03 PM
  #16  
DieHarder
 
DieHarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 2,984
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This is some very notable advice and the last part is so very true. I've struggled with it many times myself here on RCU.
Originally Posted by KC Air View Post
The internet has turned all facts into opinions, and vice-verse. You can usually find an opposing view to any supposition you make. Try not to get bent if you read something you don't agree with, and, as Abe Lincoln once said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

Letting go of the urge to "set the record straight" when you are browsing the web is most liberating indeed.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:37 PM
  #17  
nitroexpress
Senior Member
 
nitroexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sonoma, CA
Posts: 1,289
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KC Air View Post
The internet has turned all facts into opinions, and vice-verse. You can usually find an opposing view to any supposition you make. Try not to get bent if you read something you don't agree with, and, as Abe Lincoln once said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

Letting go of the urge to "set the record straight" when you are browsing the web is most liberating indeed.
Is this what we've turned into? Everyone is right, no one is wrong. Facts don't count. Everyone gets a trophy. Sad when people don't have the freedom to be wrong.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:58 AM
  #18  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,853
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
Is this what we've turned into? Everyone is right, no one is wrong. Facts don't count. Everyone gets a trophy. Sad when people don't have the freedom to be wrong.
That's what the world is coming to. Everyone gets offended at the slightest things, everyone's special, everyone gets a trophy, etc. I read in the paper recently that a school held a reading contest and the winner would get a prize for reading the most books. One guy was a book worm and read far more than the runner-ups. The parents of the runner-ups threw a fit because their kids' lost by a landslide. Now, everyone is a winner....

Maybe not the entire morale of the story here, but fact is fact and opinion is opinion. Learning the difference is hard for some people.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:36 AM
  #19  
KC Air
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
Is this what we've turned into? Everyone is right, no one is wrong. Facts don't count. Everyone gets a trophy. Sad when people don't have the freedom to be wrong.
You clearly missed the message. I neither said nor implied any of those things.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:46 AM
  #20  
KC Air
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

You can lead a brain to knowledge, but you can't make it think
Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 AM
  #21  
blvdbuzzard
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: high deserts, CA
Posts: 3,704
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I was reading this with interest, then it turned into a mud slinging thread. Went from battery voltage to a mans member measuring contest. It went way of topic at almost super sonic speed. Still funny reading though. I needed a good laugh.

For giggles I did a search and found a thread from 8/6/14 about a Turnegy 4.35v battery. Now I could use a battery like that when I race my brother. I could have a faster truck with a super secret setup and he would never know. (Evil laugh) bbbbwwwwaaaahhhaaaaaaa

Just checking HK, the charger is $30.00 and the batteries are about the same price as a standard lipo. Not that I am a HK fan, have very few orders from them.

I know there are a lot of battery ideas just around the corner, but i have heard that since I was a kid. I would like some of those ideas to hit the streets.

Buzz.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:56 AM
  #22  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,853
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

These high voltage Lithium batteries are nothing new. There's information going back 5 years that I could find using a simple google search. It definitely makes one look smarter to do the research before spouting off about this and that... I know I'm guilty of it myself, and I know this is the internet and most people aren't taken seriously anyway, so who cares?
Old 08-01-2015, 06:20 PM
  #23  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx CT
Posts: 2,241
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
These high voltage Lithium batteries are nothing new. There's information going back 5 years that I could find using a simple google search. It definitely makes one look smarter to do the research before spouting off about this and that... I know I'm guilty of it myself, and I know this is the internet and most people aren't taken seriously anyway, so who cares?
But wait, pscho venom told us his extensive research said they have oonly be around a few months.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 PM
  #24  
RiverLarry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newaygo, MI
Posts: 210
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I cant believe I sat and read this ??????
Old 08-02-2015, 03:08 PM
  #25  
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North West Indiana
Posts: 12,789
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
But wait, pscho venom told us his extensive research said they have oonly be around a few months.
extensive?
I only found one article on the higher voltage cells, and it talked about some new higher energy density cells that said it upped the voltage, and listed a manufacturer that made it, and announced it at some RC plane show 2 months ago. The article made it sound like it was some new voltage, and I didn't see any links for the search to the 1 battery hobbyking has (looking at HK's site I only see one 7.6V battery model sold in 5 warehouses)
Now is there more I dunno, and honestly I don't care.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.