Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is the Hornet still a top pick for a newbie?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is the Hornet still a top pick for a newbie?

Old 08-30-2015, 03:15 PM
bkord123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Hornet still a top pick for a newbie?

Hi folks.

Just joined today. I read the posts about good cars for new users but that was posted 6 years ago. Does it still hold true that the Hornet is one of the best options? I'm looking to bash, not race. Generally speaking, is there a best place to buy these? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Neil2704

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LWH101**&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LWH102**&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=CACHPI&P=0&S=

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=SM&I=LXEVTL**

depending on what you want, whether it be a buggy, monster truck, etc. Here are some affordable starter vehicles to consider. For bashing around I am a big fan of arrma and HPI.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 PM
RustyUs

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bkord123 View Post
Does it still hold true that the Hornet is one of the best options? I'm looking to bash, not race
Welcome to RCU.

Back in the day I would have said the Hornet is a great kit to start with. Nowadays, if you have your mind set on a 1/10 buggy, I think there are better options out there. Once you get used to a stock setup, and want to go faster, it's best to have something that is easily upgradable.

You are positive on the buggy platform?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 PM
RustyUs

Maybe read RC Resources for the beginner [Read this first]
I only put this ^^^ link in here to possibly give another perspective on ground clearance issues associated with buggies. I like buggies a lot. I started out with a Tamiya Frog. Back in the day there were only a few brands/options available to me.

For what you get in Tamiya's models (over priced plastic, and old school tech) compared to newer RCs (oil shocks all the way around, ball bearings, brushless/LiPo ready, adj. tie-rods ...etc.) I'd go for an updated RTR (ready-to-run) package. If you simply want a kit to enjoy building, and learn the basics of RC, the Hornet is a good place to start. Because the 'norm' nowadays is... kits are reserved for 'racing' models. Oh, how I wish this wasn't the case. It's hard finding a RC that is purely in kit form, unless you are looking at higher-end racing/specialty platforms.

I don't know how old you are, bkord123, but if you are just wanting a Tamiya for nostalgia, I understand the whole 'Tamiya love thing'. I would have myself another Frog... if they were $50 cheaper. That's all I am saying.

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-31-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 AM
bkord123

I'm old! haha! 42! I'm probably going to drive it on parking lots. I like the higher clearance of trucks that would make riding on grass possible, but on pavement, they're a little slower, right? I read most of the post you linked to so thanks. I'm not set on the scale or anything at the moment. I do like the idea of building it myself like the link recommended. Let me check out some of the cars on this thread.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 AM
bkord123

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Welcome to RCU.

Back in the day I would have said the Hornet is a great kit to start with. Nowadays, if you have your mind set on a 1/10 buggy, I think there are better options out there. Once you get used to a stock setup, and want to go faster, it's best to have something that is easily upgradable.

You are positive on the buggy platform?
Oh ok. I actually thought the Hornet was easily upgradeable. Still learning!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:39 AM
bkord123

Originally Posted by Neil2704 View Post
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LWH101**&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LWH102**&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=CACHPI&P=0&S=

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=SM&I=LXEVTL**

depending on what you want, whether it be a buggy, monster truck, etc. Here are some affordable starter vehicles to consider. For bashing around I am a big fan of arrma and HPI.
Thanks for the ideas. I think the Vorteks looks awesome!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:26 AM
RustyUs

Thanks for the ideas. I think the Vorteks looks awesome!
Now we are getting somewhere. Stadium trucks are catching your eyes? I think the stadium truck platforms (ST) are a great place to start. They will allow you to run on rougher, more uneven surfaces than a buggy would.

Circuit 1:10 2wd Stadium Truck
HPI E-Firestorm Flux Stadium Truck
Traxxas Rustler off-road Stadium Truck

Those some of the top picks, IMO, in "basher" type 2wd ST platforms.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Neil2704

yes stadium trucks are great. the next big question is 2wd or 4wd. if your mostly on pavement and a little grass 2wd will be fine. if your more into rough gravel or offroad 4wd for sure. also in my personal opinion anything 2wd and brushless is useless. too much power to keep in a straight line. I had a brushless evader 2wd and I didn't like it one bit.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:16 PM
RustyUs

...anything 2wd and brushless is useless...
Whoa. That's quite a statement.

... too much power to keep in a straight line...
Learn to drive with throttle control? That's why they put throttle EPA/Dual Rate on "better" transmitters... so you can limit the power being sent to the motor. There are lower Kv rated motors on the market that will allow you to choose the power band you seek. And now, if you so choose, you can even get driving assistance from (AVS,TSM, RC4G) gyros inside the receivers.

...I had a brushless evader 2wd and I didn't like it one bit.
I have a Duratrax Evader ST (actually I have about three of them) that I love. It'll be the first RC that I won't get rid of because it's such a pleasure to drive and the Brushless Evader tranny refuses to give up. Simply put...outstanding!

Sorry I got a little off topic with your OP question bkord123. A 2wd RC has less parts; less maintenance, and less overall cost. I believe every RC has it's little quirks that could be improved upon, and is one reason why these forums exist...to share experiences and to help make RC vehicles the best they can be. I don't know what your budget is, but taking small steps getting into the hobby will be your best bet to a long-term enjoyable experience.

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-31-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:44 AM
cumquat

if you plan to stay in the hobby for years and think racing might be something you want to try down the road, by all means start with 2wd. they simply make you better at driving. i can keep a 2wd st with a 60 amp brushless system (roughly half a horsepower, same power to weight ratio as a base model c7 corvette) straight on gravel with crap tires. 4wd has it's place, but most people get convinced they need it when 2wd is more than adequate.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:27 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well one of my favorites is still sold by tamiya which is the DF-02
It has its share of problems(main one is chassis snapping which can be remedied cheap, and easily), but for some reason I still love the model.

As for the hornet great vehicle... if you want something to putz around with while remembering the old days of RC I do own one though just cause I always loved how they looked.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Neil2704

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Whoa. That's quite a statement.

Learn to drive with throttle control? That's why they put throttle EPA/Dual Rate on "better" transmitters... so you can limit the power being sent to the motor. There are lower Kv rated motors on the market that will allow you to choose the power band you seek. And now, if you so choose, you can even get driving assistance from (AVS,TSM, RC4G) gyros inside the receivers.

I have a Duratrax Evader ST (actually I have about three of them) that I love. It'll be the first RC that I won't get rid of because it's such a pleasure to drive and the Brushless Evader tranny refuses to give up. Simply put...outstanding!

Sorry I got a little off topic with your OP question bkord123. A 2wd RC has less parts; less maintenance, and less overall cost. I believe every RC has it's little quirks that could be improved upon, and is one reason why these forums exist...to share experiences and to help make RC vehicles the best they can be. I don't know what your budget is, but taking small steps getting into the hobby will be your best bet to a long-term enjoyable experience.
i did start that with "in my opinion"
Old 09-04-2015, 10:25 AM
john01374

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the Hornet a good car. Yes. Is it a good starter car? Yes....... BUT....... It is very old school and it doesn't perform nearly as well as the new independent suspension cars that have come along afterward.

I will tell you this. Whatever your first car is you should begin with a kit... Why???? You will learn more the the 3 or 4 days assembling and setting up your first car than you would in 2 yrs if you start with a RTR.

If you look at the vast majority of the people on these forums they all ask the same questions. How do i set an ESC, Is my Pinion too tight, How to I replace my motor, What is this part called.....

All of these questions would be answered in your first build.... In my opinion RTR's have all but destroyed this hobby. Yeah it's brought a lot of people in but no one knows how to do anything.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:31 AM
bkord123

Thanks again for everyone's opinions. I really like that Vorteks, but it's a RTR. What's comparable in kit form?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:41 AM
cumquat

Thanks again for everyone's opinions. I really like that Vorteks, but it's a RTR. What's comparable in kit form?
depends on your budget. tell us that and we can give you complete shopping lists.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 AM
bkord123

I'd like to keep it capped at $200. I can stretch it if there's something well worth a little more than that. I think I like the stadium trucks from what I've seen and what I'm interested in doing.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:30 PM
cumquat

i was afraid of that. stadium truck kits are mostly racers. they can be bashed (driven around the yard) but that isnt what they were designed for so that's not what they are priced for. they start at $240 for just the kit (and quickly climb from there), then you need a motor and speed control, a servo for steering, a radio system, a battery and a charger. that will cost you $100 at the bare minimum. to keep your budget, get the vortex and disassemble it. you get the core kit building experience (only missing tire gluing, shock assembly and removing parts from parts trees), stay in budget and you can make sure it is put together correctly.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:32 PM
bkord123

Originally Posted by cumquat View Post
i was afraid of that. stadium truck kits are mostly racers. they can be bashed (driven around the yard) but that isnt what they were designed for so that's not what they are priced for. they start at $240 for just the kit (and quickly climb from there), then you need a motor and speed control, a servo for steering, a radio system, a battery and a charger. that will cost you $100 at the bare minimum. to keep your budget, get the vortex and disassemble it. you get the core kit building experience (only missing tire gluing, shock assembly and removing parts from parts trees), stay in budget and you can make sure it is put together correctly.
Many thanks, brother. Anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:29 AM
TornadoGuy

Hey there. Saw this thread and it caught my attention because the Hornet was the first car I ever built, and in fact I was just using it the other day. It's a great little car, but you have to understand what it is. The shocks are outdated, which means handling on and off road isn't really that great. The motor it comes with is good for maybe 18mph, but with a quick swap to another brushed motor you could be 25+. I really wouldn't recommend Brushless, the car is just too light and doesn't have a wide enough stance to support so much power. Besides all that though, it can be a good experience to build one. If you maintain them, the Hornet's go forever, or at least mine has

Now, I can't really recommend an electric car for you since I've been out of the scene for a couple years, and instead have been trying my hand at Nitro. I could tell you though, consider a couple of things. Do you want a quick On-Road car, an Off-Road buggy, Stadium Truck? 2wd or 4wd? 2wd is definitely easier to maintain because of its simplicity over 4wd, but with Brushless power it becomes a little tough to drive. For around $200 an RTR is probably the best bet though. Like cumquat said, kits can get pricey fast. Whatever it is, as long as you have fun, that's the most important thing.

Last edited by TornadoGuy; 09-06-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:16 PM
bkord123

Originally Posted by TornadoGuy View Post
Hey there. Saw this thread and it caught my attention because the Hornet was the first car I ever built, and in fact I was just using it the other day. It's a great little car, but you have to understand what it is. The shocks are outdated, which means handling on and off road isn't really that great. The motor it comes with is good for maybe 18mph, but with a quick swap to another brushed motor you could be 25+. I really wouldn't recommend Brushless, the car is just too light and doesn't have a wide enough stance to support so much power. Besides all that though, it can be a good experience to build one. If you maintain them, the Hornet's go forever, or at least mine has

Now, I can't really recommend an electric car for you since I've been out of the scene for a couple years, and instead have been trying my hand at Nitro. I could tell you though, consider a couple of things. Do you want a quick On-Road car, an Off-Road buggy, Stadium Truck? 2wd or 4wd? 2wd is definitely easier to maintain because of its simplicity over 4wd, but with Brushless power it becomes a little tough to drive. For around $200 an RTR is probably the best bet though. Like cumquat said, kits can get pricey fast. Whatever it is, as long as you have fun, that's the most important thing.
Thanks a lot. Decisions, decisions.