Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for my first rally RC

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Crannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for my first rally RC car

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my first decent RC car. I've had plenty of toy RC cars when I was a kid (I'm 24 now) but nothing expensive.
I watched some sweet videos of people doing jumps and stunts with a traxxas rally and I want something like that, but it's out of my budget.
Ideally I'd like to spend ~$200 or less on the car, even if I have to mod it with an aftermarket motor/suspension etc.
I've visited many sites and am not really sure how to filter the good cars from the bad (tons of models/brands).
I do know I would like an electric, 4x4 and at least 1:10 size (big enough to mount a camera and still be stable if that makes sense?). Something with easily upgradable/replaceable parts too.
I really like the look of the rally cars but I'd be open to a truck or buggy setup too if there's a rally style body available for it.
Like I said before I will be mostly bashing, doing stunts and such with a camera mounted to it (mostly cement/asphalt surfaces but also some dirt roads/trails).
Sorry to dump my noob all over you guys, I would really appreciate some recommendations since I've been pretty much overwhelmed lol.

Last edited by Crannon; 11-24-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:22 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

My advice is to save another $200. You could get a cheap junk rally car for $200 that would barely last 2 years, or you could wait however long that is and have a nice one.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:14 AM
Crannon

Originally Posted by collector1231
My advice is to save another $200. You could get a cheap junk rally car for $200 that would barely last 2 years, or you could wait however long that is and have a nice one.
I appreciate the advice, and as I do more research I am coming to the same conclusion.
Would you mind recommending some brands to look at? I know that traxxas is generally considered ok, but perhaps there's other brands that are a better value and still good quality...
Old 11-25-2015, 06:22 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to RCU.

Originally Posted by Crannon
... it's out of my budget. Ideally I'd like to spend ~$200 or less on the car, even if I have to mod it with an aftermarket motor/suspension etc.
Is that $200 for a RTR complete package, or for something to build upon?
If that number is just for something to build upon and you want new...Ofna Hyper SS 80% assembled rolling chassis is my first thought to do up a rally car. It's 1/8 scale and maybe too big for your plans.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:05 AM
Crannon

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Welcome to RCU.

Is that $200 for a RTR complete package, or for something to build upon?
If that number is just for something to build upon and you want new...Ofna Hyper SS 80% assembled rolling chassis is my first thought to do up a rally car. It's 1/8 scale and maybe too big for your plans.
Either is fine, although if rolling chassis is a better value then obviously I would prefer that. I actually would prefer 1/8 scale. That hyper ss looks pretty good, what other parts would I need to get for it? Is there a hatchback style rally body for it?

Edit: I also found a rtr rally car, basher rally 1/8, that seems to be a good value... Any thoughts on that one?

Last edited by Crannon; 11-25-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:06 AM
RustyUs

Default short course truck platform?

My next choice or suggestion would be something along the lines of a ECX, DHK or a used Traxxas short course truck with a rally body mounted. Take a look at the DHK Hunter. $199 for a brushless 4wd platform. Only thing is... no battery or charger for that price. There is even a brushed version of the Hunter for $159. The question was asked by RCCA...Is the Hunter the best deal in short course? You can find the some answers on the www. I always tell people...do a little research and read/watch some reviews on anything you plan to purchase.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-25-2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added link
Old 11-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Crannon

My next choice or suggestion would be something along the lines of a ECX, DHK or a used Traxxas short course truck with a rally body mounted. Take a look at the DHK Hunter. $199 for a brushless 4wd platform. Only thing is... no battery or charger for that price. There is even a brushed version of the Hunter for $159. The question was asked by RCCA...Is the Hunter the best deal in short course? You can find the some answers on the www. I always tell people...do a little research and read/watch some reviews on anything you plan to purchase.
Thanks for the suggestions. The DHK hunter looks like a killer value, but I've decided to go 1/8 after all. I'll check out those brands though!
Old 11-25-2015, 07:26 AM
RustyUs

Pro Line Bodies:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3367-00-2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2132423   Click image for larger version

Name:	3367-00-4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2132429   Click image for larger version

Name:	3367-00-1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	2132430   Click image for larger version

Name:	3367-00-7.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2132431  
Old 11-25-2015, 07:37 AM
RustyUs

Vaterra has a body already done up if you are not wanting to paint a body. And of course I would check the dimensions of the body and/or the RC it was made for possible fitment issues.

I'm just throwing out ideas for you.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Crannon

Pro Line Bodies:

Vaterra has a body already done up if you are not wanting to paint a body. And of course I would check the dimensions of the body and/or the RC it was made for possible fitment issues.

I'm just throwing out ideas for you.
That's awesome thanks! What motor/esc would you recommend for the hyper ss?
Old 11-26-2015, 03:15 AM
cumquat

if you are going to wait until you have $450 or so http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFDCH&P=0
if you want to build it yourself http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYVS1&P=7
Old 11-26-2015, 04:59 AM
RustyUs

For eBuggies, a lot of people like 1700~2200kv rated motors in their rides (running on 4S LiPo packs). This is the motor I've chosen to use in my 1/8 scale buggy:

It's the 2650kv Nue/Castle 1512. For $43 and change (eBay of course), I had to get one to try. It's a bit much for racing, but I don't plan on hitting the track for any type of competition. A 2200kv would be my recommendation to start out with on 4S,and if anyone wants to just run around town there is plenty of power/speed on tap. I only plan to use 3S packs to start out with. I also got one (Nue/Castle 2650kv motors) for my Yeti to run on 4S; 'cause the price of the motor was so tempting, and I like Castle Creation motors a lot (I'm just not a fan of the green color).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	2132536  

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-26-2015 at 06:33 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-26-2015, 09:09 AM
RustyUs

Happy Thanksgiving!

As I sit here and wait for company to show up, I was hit in the face with an ad about a 1/8 scale rally car I forgot about. The Basher 1/8 Rally Car. Check out The Aussie Playground on YouTube for some insight and thoughts on the car.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:37 AM
RustyUs

Happy Thanksgiving!

As I sit here and wait for company to show up, I was hit in the face with an ad about a 1/8 scale rally car I forgot about. The Basher 1/8 Rally Car. Check out The Aussie Playground on YouTube for some insight and thoughts on the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4ilFxcZ_1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9RfffY3L78
Old 11-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Crannon

Originally Posted by cumquat
if you are going to wait until you have $450 or so http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFDCH&P=0
if you want to build it yourself http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYVS1&P=7
Thanks! I'll check those out.

For eBuggies, a lot of people like 1700~2200kv rated motors in their rides (running on 4S LiPo packs). This is the motor I've chosen to use in my 1/8 scale buggy:

It's the 2650kv Nue/Castle 1512. For $43 and change (eBay of course), I had to get one to try. It's a bit much for racing, but I don't plan on hitting the track for any type of competition. A 2200kv would be my recommendation to start out with on 4S,and if anyone wants to just run around town there is plenty of power/speed on tap. I only plan to use 3S packs to start out with. I also got one (Nue/Castle 2650kv motors) for my Yeti to run on 4S; 'cause the price of the motor was so tempting, and I like Castle Creation motors a lot (I'm just not a fan of the green color).
Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4ilFxcZ_1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9RfffY3L78
Thats awesome man thanks. Yeah I actually was already looking at the basher... Seems to be a good value, something I can upgrade too.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:57 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the thing with Basher: You gotta get ALL your spare parts from them, online, only. If you don't have a local hobby store (LHS) nearby, then that may not be an issue. You do get a pretty decent basher car for the price. Fit-n-finish, and adjust-ability tend to be on the lower end, but hey, it's an entry-level car. Since it is your first, and if you like it, it would be fine. First thing I'd do to it, tho, is cut off the battery connector it comes with, and put something decent on it, like a Traxxas connector. The Tamiya-style Molex connectors are crap and should never be used with Lipo batteries. Or anything else IMO.

The Traxxas Rally seems to perform pretty well, and any hobby store carries Traxxas. Some people think the body is pretty ugly. But you could slap a ProLine lid on it. The better choice, IMHO, would be Associated's Rally. Or even better maybe would be Losi's TEN-Rally X with AVC technology. But then yer lookin' at $429. Those are the ones you'd wanna go for if you want to save up a little more.

But remember : You're also going to need tools, a charger, and at least a couple Lipo packs. Just those items right there you're lookin' at $200. Nevermind spare parts and/or an aftermarket bumper set. (And being your first hobby-grade RC, an aftermarket bumper set is an INVESTMENT. They'll save you on parts replacements from breakage.) (Although the cars you're looking at for the most part have decent bumpers already) Anything like a buggy or truggy you'd want to put front and rear bumpers on.

LiPo: Don't fear the Lipo. It's what you'll end up using anyway, so you might as well start with them. They are far superior to anything else in terms of power delivery if you run a brushless motor system. There are only a few things you need to know about them:
1) Only charge a Lipo battery with a Lipo charger.
Lipos have a different charging scheme than NiMh batteries, and charging a LiPo on a NiMh charger (or NiMh program on a LiPo charger) could potentially result in a fire. A damaged Lipo pack for sure.
2) Never leave a LiPo pack fully charged for longer than necessary. It will reduce it's capacity and shorten its life over time. Lipo chargers have a "Storage" function that charges/discharges a pack to the LiPo chemistry's "resting voltage" of about 3.80V per cell. Use it.
3) As I mentioned above, NEVER use Tamiya style connectors with Lipo . They cannot handle the current and will heat up and MELT. Always use a Traxxas, Deans, EC3, or bullet connectors of good quality.
4) Never discharge a LiPo pack below 3.0V per cell. That's why most modern ESCs nowadays have a built-in LVC (Low-Voltage Cutoff). This prevents the pack from being over-discharged. Most LVCs are set to 3.2V or are adjustable. Be sure it's Enabled.

Remember those few things, and you'll never have an issue with Lipos.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 11-29-2015 at 01:01 PM.