Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Best Beginner's Car

Old 12-17-2015, 02:00 AM
GermCrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Beginner's Car

Hello. I was hoping to get some input on options for an electric rc car/truck for my 9 & 11 year old sons. They have never used one before but I would like to get a model that is good for beginners but that will also allow them to "grow into it" as they are very mechanically inclined and I assume they'll pick it up well enough. Because there are streams where they will be running it, I would prefer something that is waterproof in addition to being fast & sturdy. As for quality, I had a Hornet when I was a kid and loved it (though that was many years ago and I am not up on building/repairing). I would love to get something comparable to the Hornet, if possible, as from what I remember it was AWESOME! I initially looked into the Bandit & Raider and overall they seemed similar but there are so many variables that I couldn't choose! Then I wondered whether a 4WD vehicle would be better so I checked out the Typhon, etc, etc. Long story short, I need help! Thank you!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:42 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GermCrazy
... Because there are streams where they will be running it, I would prefer something that is waterproof in addition to being fast & sturdy.....
Welcome to RCU.

I don't know what exactly you and the kids plan on doing with the "streams", but if there is rough terrain around, sounds like you definitely want to get something 4wd and with bigger tires. I must say that the Arrma Typhon is a darn good choice, being 1/8 scale and all. In general, the eBuggy 1/8 scale platforms are built with "beefier" components, and are considered by many to be some of the toughest RCs out there. Every once in a while you'll find a model that is riddled with problems. Arrma is a good brand. I don't remember seeing anything too bad about Arrma's RCs. The Typhon was one of my "wish list" cars that I looked at closely before settling for a 1/10 Yeti kit .

I am a kit type of person when it comes to RCs. The whole build of a car/truck intrigues me, and getting to know the vehicle, inside and out, is a plus. I'm not putting down RTRs one bit. It's just that, companies putting out RCs with less than great electronics (weak servos is my biggest "pet peeve") to keep the price low enough... to lure you into the addiction . There are so many great RC Ready-To-Run cars out there to be had.

GermCrazy, get out there with your kids and kick up some dirt!

Is the buggy platform something you would like to stick with?

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-17-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:29 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Forums!
Are you looking to get BOTH the kids their own car? Or just one for them to share? (Sharing could be a problem. They would have much more fun if they could each have their own. But that could be pricey, depending on what model you choose.)

The Arrma Typhon is certainly a tough and sturdy vehicle. Fast too, on two 2S or 3S Lipo packs. But I wonder if the Typhon would be too much car for kids just getting into the hobby. And this is a personal thing, but I've always thought that the buggy platform, with the front shock tower and shocks just right out there in front, with no sort of cover, was just asking for damage. With a TRUGGY platform, you at least have the lexan body protecting the shocks and shock tower. So I'd look at the Arrma TALION or KRATON over the Typhon for that reason.

How serious do you think the kids are about the RC hobby? The Kraton and Talion are $380. Plus, you're going to need at least two 2S or 3S Lipo packs, and a Dual-Port Lipo Charger. So you're pushing $500. For kids who've never driven an RC?

You might want to consider something a little more entry level. Or smaller. Traxxas and Losi both have 1/18th scale RCs, priced such that you could get them both a car. They won't run on grass (too small) but fine for dirt and pavement, or even indoors. Revel also has the Dromida brand. They have several vehicle types (although they're all the same platform) and they're priced right about $100 each. Or you could look at the ECX line of entry-level 1/10th scale 2wd cars. They're about $130-$160ea. Oh! I just found an 18th scale ECX Ruckus at RC Planet for $99, and it's 4wd too.

So that's my $.02. FWIW.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:43 AM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0002p?&M=AXI
Old 12-20-2015, 05:01 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice link, Cumquat. Saving that.