Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

OFNA Buggy - How much is this worth?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 AM
emplox
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA Buggy - How much is this worth?

I'm looking to sell/trade my buggy. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how much it's worth. These are the details, and here are some photos.

It's in very good condition...other than it needs to be cleaned The ESC and motor are practically new...probably 6-7 runs on them. It is the Novak 6.5 HV series setup to take two LiPo batteries. You can find more details about it here: http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...axx/index.html. It's super fast, and fun. I got it directly from Novak last fall and didnt use it more than 2 or 3 times. The buggy chassis itself is in good condition. The bottom is scuffed up as per normal but the inside is very clean. All the arms are in good condition as are the shocks and braces. The body is new.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:04 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice buggy. Do you know the name of the model other than it's an Ofna make? (which could be either HoBao or Hong Nor) Hyper 7 maybe?
Shoot, the Novak system alone is probably worth $150. (Are you selling it as-is, with electronics? Or just as a roller?)
Old 06-02-2016, 12:27 PM
emplox

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Nice buggy. Do you know the name of the model other than it's an Ofna make? (which could be either HoBao or Hong Nor) Hyper 7 maybe?
Shoot, the Novak system alone is probably worth $150. (Are you selling it as-is, with electronics? Or just as a roller?)
Thanks! I believe it's an OFNA Buggy 8 make. It was a nitro, and has been converted to electric. I just tried to run it for the first time in ages, and the capacitor started smoking. I'm going to send the motor/ecs into Novak tomorrow to have them look at it.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:30 PM
emplox

My plan was to sell this and get a erevo or an xmaxx. My son is starting to get into it and he really wants me to get a monster truck. I don't really care if i sell as a roller or with everything included. It's def a fun car, so if it's not worth too much I would consider just keeping it. Was just trying to get an idea. Thanks a lot for your quick reply
Old 06-02-2016, 01:51 PM
emplox

Ha! Good news. I decided to cut the wires to the capacitor because i know it's blown/junk and everything seems to work perfectly still. I'm very new to RC's so I don't really have any idea of the capacitor is required or what will happen if I run it without one. At least everything works.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:52 PM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by emplox
Thanks! I believe it's an OFNA Buggy 8 make. It was a nitro, and has been converted to electric. I just tried to run it for the first time in ages, and the capacitor started smoking. I'm going to send the motor/ecs into Novak tomorrow to have them look at it.
Oooohhh... that's no fun. Could just be that the capacitor is old (?) and its dielectric dried up and it's died. Cheap fix.
Have you looked over the wheel bearings and such to look for any binding? Anything bent? If it's all in good shape, you might could get ohh...$160-180 as a roller, add another Benjamin with the motor system. Providing one can still get parts for it. If ya can't get parts for it, it's a shelf queen. I looked HERE and didn't see a listing that might be a "Buggy 8". AH...found it at NitroHouse . So parts shouldn't be an issue. He's out of rear arms right now... But it looks like parts are out there. As always, what something is worth is what someone is willing to pay for it. RC Universe does have a Classified Ads section. Post an ad and see.

Looking at Traxxas, hey? I do think the eRevo is pretty cool, looking*. And the XMAXX is brand new, comes with Traxxas Stability Management for easy driving (and has the cool self-righting feature). Always easy parts support at your LHS. Going BIG, huh? Look at the Arrma Nero truck. Same price as the eRevo, but could be better than the eRevo with it's "Diff-Brain" tech. It's clearly aimed at it's market. Sounds like you're willing to drop some serious coin.

* You might want to read up on the forums about the eRevo's "required parts" to make it durable.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 06-02-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: should > shouldn't
Old 06-02-2016, 03:08 PM
emplox

Oooohhh... that's no fun. Could just be that the capacitor is old (?) and its dielectric dried up and it's died. Cheap fix.
Have you looked over the wheel bearings and such to look for any binding? Anything bent? If it's all in good shape, you might could get ohh...$160-180 as a roller, add another Benjamin with the motor system. Providing one can still get parts for it. If ya can't get parts for it, it's a shelf queen. I looked HERE and didn't see a listing that might be a "Buggy 8". AH...found it at NitroHouse . So parts shouldn't be an issue. He's out of rear arms right now... But it looks like parts are out there. As always, what something is worth is what someone is willing to pay for it. RC Universe does have a Classified Ads section. Post an ad and see.

Looking at Traxxas, hey? I do think the eRevo is pretty cool, looking*. And the XMAXX is brand new, comes with Traxxas Stability Management for easy driving (and has the cool self-righting feature). Always easy parts support at your LHS. Going BIG, huh? Look at the Arrma Nero truck. Same price as the eRevo, but could be better than the eRevo with it's "Diff-Brain" tech. It's clearly aimed at it's market. Sounds like you're willing to drop some serious coin.

* You might want to read up on the forums about the eRevo's "required parts" to make it durable.
Thanks again for the info. I've just started doing some research on what's to come. I will def look at that Arrma Nero and read more about the traxxas models. I did find out that the motor and ESC are definitely working perfectly I snipped the black wire off of the old capacitor and and everything works just as it should. I need to figure out what capacitor I can replace it with now. If everything works properly without it...is it even necessary? I've looked over the entire buggy...and even drove it for a very short period just a few minutes ago. It's looking good. Everything works and seems in great shape.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:52 PM
EXT2Rob

Cool! Then you may have something you can get a few bucks out of. Is the cap needed? Maybe. It's probably a standard "glitch buster" cap. Might cost ya ten bucks. Unless you're good with soldering, especially on circuit boards, I'd suggest soldering the new cap (if you get one) onto the old wires and use shrink wrap on the joints. Getting the polarity of the cap right might be an issue. Use a volt meter and find out which wire has a positive voltage, and connect the + side of the cap to that wire.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:08 PM
emplox

Cool! Then you may have something you can get a few bucks out of. Is the cap needed? Maybe. It's probably a standard "glitch buster" cap. Might cost ya ten bucks. Unless you're good with soldering, especially on circuit boards, I'd suggest soldering the new cap (if you get one) onto the old wires and use shrink wrap on the joints. Getting the polarity of the cap right might be an issue. Use a volt meter and find out which wire has a positive voltage, and connect the + side of the cap to that wire.
I figured out that it was a Novak Power Trans-Cap Module-HV Pro #5684. It's 2700uf power capacitor rated at 25W. I have been looking everywhere to find a replacement part and haven't been able to. I was going to contact Novak and see if i could use a 5682 (power cap harness) or a 5626 (glitch buster) instead. Do you have any idea? I found the below chart. Mine is 2nd to last...the HV Pro. It doesn't really tell you anything about replacement parts, though. It seems like the glitch buster might do the trick...but it plugs directly into the receiver instead of directly to the ESC like the original. Not sure if that matters.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

From what I can tell it's an Ofna 9.5 MBX buggy. Btw the front wheels look like they're pointing in a weird direction. It's likely caused, at least in part) due to the front upper arms facing the wrong way, flip them over and you'll also gain shock clearance.

As for the capacitor, yes it's needed. Hit the throttle from a stop and that's the largest load drawn by the motor. Voltage drops on the pack under any load and the capacitor helps supplement the pack. It also helps to lower ripple voltage which is basically the voltage fluctuating in the pack as the esc fires a phase in the motor then rests and fires another phase. More capacitance is not a bad thing so don't worry about going too big, a low esr cap is recommended though. If you can't find a cap (try an online electronics dealer) maybe consider Castle Creations cap pack instead.

As for price, that's a tough one. There are more modern rtr buggies with better power systems that sell for $400-450 brand new. I think $250-300 is fair as the 9.5 MBX rollers go for about $100 up to $150 depending on condition and parts included. Maybe you can find someone that'll trade you for a monster truck. Whatever you do I wouldn't use the Novak in a monster truck, unless it's a 1/10 like the Stampede 4x4. The Maxx, Revo are really on the heavy side for the HV as it has an undersized 380 size rotor in it. But at least you have the HV6.5 which out of all the HV's is the most compatible with heavier vehicles if you end up having to use it.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 06-02-2016 at 09:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rushmorepdf (05-11-2020)
Old 06-03-2016, 04:07 AM
emplox

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
From what I can tell it's an Ofna 9.5 MBX buggy. Btw the front wheels look like they're pointing in a weird direction. It's likely caused, at least in part) due to the front upper arms facing the wrong way, flip them over and you'll also gain shock clearance.

As for the capacitor, yes it's needed. Hit the throttle from a stop and that's the largest load drawn by the motor. Voltage drops on the pack under any load and the capacitor helps supplement the pack. It also helps to lower ripple voltage which is basically the voltage fluctuating in the pack as the esc fires a phase in the motor then rests and fires another phase. More capacitance is not a bad thing so don't worry about going too big, a low esr cap is recommended though. If you can't find a cap (try an online electronics dealer) maybe consider Castle Creations cap pack instead.

As for price, that's a tough one. There are more modern rtr buggies with better power systems that sell for $400-450 brand new. I think $250-300 is fair as the 9.5 MBX rollers go for about $100 up to $150 depending on condition and parts included. Maybe you can find someone that'll trade you for a monster truck. Whatever you do I wouldn't use the Novak in a monster truck, unless it's a 1/10 like the Stampede 4x4. The Maxx, Revo are really on the heavy side for the HV as it has an undersized 380 size rotor in it. But at least you have the HV6.5 which out of all the HV's is the most compatible with heavier vehicles if you end up having to use it.
Thanks a lot for the help. I'll look at the front upper arms today. If the castle creations cap pack would work I'll just order that up today. I definitely don't plan on using this motor/esc combo in the monster truck. I want something water proof. Who knows....once i get this up and running properly again I might end up just keeping it. it's pretty fun to drive.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 AM
EXT2Rob

Waterproof. Out of the box, nothing that I am aware of is "water proof". "Water resistant", yes. Splash-proof is more like it.
There are ways to make things even more water resistant, but generally, water and electricity don't mix well. So I would not go mud bogging or fording streams, unless you've done a lot more research on how to protect your expensive electronics. The most sensitive is the receiver. There are water resistant receiver boxes, and some guys just put them in a balloon. But I don't like the idea of getting the battery and it's connector wet. Most of the trail-scalers use BRUSHED motors that don't mind getting wet, but I don't know what if any brushless motors can take it.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:44 AM
emplox

Waterproof. Out of the box, nothing that I am aware of is "water proof". "Water resistant", yes. Splash-proof is more like it.
There are ways to make things even more water resistant, but generally, water and electricity don't mix well. So I would not go mud bogging or fording streams, unless you've done a lot more research on how to protect your expensive electronics. The most sensitive is the receiver. There are water resistant receiver boxes, and some guys just put them in a balloon. But I don't like the idea of getting the battery and it's connector wet. Most of the trail-scalers use BRUSHED motors that don't mind getting wet, but I don't know what if any brushless motors can take it.
Oh yea, I definitely don't plan on sending it into the pond. I just would prefer to not have to worry about it if it does go through a puddle or something along those lines. The Xmaxx and the Nero claim to be waterproof. Take a look at that video below. Not that i would do anything like what this guy is doing, but it gives me a good feeling that I wouldn't ever have to worry about it accidentally going through a puddle or something.

Do you think that Castle Creations Cap Pack will work fine for a replacement capacitor ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IfQgMfuYkI
Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

The Castle Cap Pack will work fine.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:43 AM
emplox

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
The Castle Cap Pack will work fine.
nice! thank you!
Old 06-03-2016, 11:28 AM
The Saylors

There are a few water proof esc options out there but waterproofed motors are a different story. Traxxas is the only one that i know of that flat out claims that the 3500kv velineon is water proof but if it breaks they will tell you sorry there is no warranty on that. Of course you can always look up a vid on youtube about waterproofing motors or escs and go that route (its not that hard if you have some space to work).The biggest thing that i have learned running though water/hydroplaning/puddle jumping is plan on a lot more maintenance, and i mean A LOT more. Plan on lubing the bearings (especially the wheels) after every outing and get some brushless motor cleaner along with a few sets of motor bearings. Do the motor bearings anytime they feel off at all and it will help to keep you from a catastrophic failure. Use a balloon (I use condoms lol) for the lipo packs If you adhere to this regimen i have found that my motors don't wear out nearly as quickly and i haven't had one blow apart since i started doing this. Just remember that you get lazy and skip it even once it can seriously lower the life span of the car/truck. I learned this by treating the velenion like it was waterproof and after a month is grenaded on me while just running on the street. Never again i told myself lol Once last thing to know is that water makes A TON of drag in comparison to just running on the street with will strain the electronics a lot more than you would think, be sparing and let the car have a rest every couple minutes to let all of the connections cool. I know you are only planning on hitting some puddles, that was my plan too! Until i hydroplaned across one and was hooked. Hope this little run down helps!
Old 06-03-2016, 11:30 AM
The Saylors

Nice buggy by the way, sorry i got on a tangent lol
Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 AM
emplox

Originally Posted by The Saylors
Nice buggy by the way, sorry i got on a tangent lol
Np, thanks for the info!
Old 06-03-2016, 11:41 AM
The Saylors

Of course! All it does is rain here in washington so waterproofing is something i'm well versed in.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:54 AM
emplox

Good news! I took a video of it in action below. It's almost too fast for me to control...haha. I do have a weird issue where the throttle stops responding for a couple seconds every once in a while. You can actually see it happen twice in the video i think. I did notice that my servos turn my wheels still when that happens...so not too sure what that's about. Any ideas? My radio and receiver are really old traxxas models..i'm assuming it's an issue with those. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new radio/receiver combo?

https://youtu.be/CN3gcQ53VIU

Last edited by emplox; 06-07-2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:46 AM
EXT2Rob

A good 2.4ghz basic radio set can be had for $20 with a FlySky GT2. It's a "nuthin fancy" set, but it works. It's what I use. Otherwise, a Spektrum radio will set you back $200. By "old Traxxas radio" do you mean the kind with the old whip antenna? If so, I'd suggest getting some sort of modern 2.4ghz set, cheap or otherwise.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:02 AM
The Saylors

Lol you have a pretty great dane. The gt2 is a great deal for the money. I personally like the DX4s from spectrum that way i have avc if i want it. I think its one of the best sub $200 radios out there but if you only have one car then its prolly not worth it to go all out on a radio. Its all about preference really. What you have to spend and how many/what kind of cars you will want linked to it.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 AM
emplox

A good 2.4ghz basic radio set can be had for $20 with a FlySky GT2. It's a "nuthin fancy" set, but it works. It's what I use. Otherwise, a Spektrum radio will set you back $200. By "old Traxxas radio" do you mean the kind with the old whip antenna? If so, I'd suggest getting some sort of modern 2.4ghz set, cheap or otherwise.
It's not actually 'that' old i suppose...it's this one. The top antenna part on it is broken off and the wire comes way out of it. Not sure that it matters much though. For the most part it's OK....just that weird non responsive throttle once in a great while. I'm not too sure what else would cause such a thing to happen other than the radio.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	608002d1277243647-traxxas-link-2-4ghz-radio-system-dsc05002.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	2166755  
Old 06-07-2016, 09:16 AM
emplox

Originally Posted by The Saylors
Lol you have a pretty great dane. The gt2 is a great deal for the money. I personally like the DX4s from spectrum that way i have avc if i want it. I think its one of the best sub $200 radios out there but if you only have one car then its prolly not worth it to go all out on a radio. Its all about preference really. What you have to spend and how many/what kind of cars you will want linked to it.
haha...thanks...my dane is amazing. coolest dog i've ever owned by far. I do plan on having 2 cars/trucks at least in the long run. I'll probably eventually switch after I get my 2nd.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:14 AM
EXT2Rob

It IS possible to bind more than one car to a transmitter, even if it is only a "single car" radio. That's what I 've done with my GT2, bound both cars to it. I can use either car with the same radio, just not at the same time. 😊

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.