Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

After 38 years, Novak is out of business.

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

After 38 years, Novak is out of business.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:23 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 38 years, Novak is out of business.

Just as of a few hours ago, it seems Novak has gone out of business. A statement on their site reads...

Since 1978, Novak has been proud to be a part of the remote-controlled hobby industry, designing and manufacturing important and innovative products to the market such as the modern-day ESC for R/C cars in 1983 (NESC-1), and the first R/C car sensored brushless motor and ESC in 2002 (Super Sport Brushless System). Our customers, our business partners, and all of the friendships we have formed in this industry have made owning and operating Novak not feel like “work” but rather fulfilling a passion.
We are announcing that we have decided to close down our operations effective today. This decision was difficult to make, as this has been a family business spanning two generations.
We are proud that we were able to continue to manufacture products in California during our 38 years in business, and we hope we have been a good steward to the industry. 20 IFMAR World Championships and countless ROAR and Club races were won with Novak products over the years and we want to especially thank our customers and race organizations for their belief in our product and their enthusiasm for the hobby.
Rather than saying good-bye, we wish to say thank you. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of this incredible hobby and industry!
Bob Novak Laura Novak Linda Novak
This is terrible news. My OFNA Nexx10SC, which OFNA also went out of business, has a Novak Ballistic and Havoc ESC combo 4.5T motor and it has run without a flaw for over 4 years.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:53 AM
RustyUs

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a span of ten years or more (90s to early 2000s) I've come to rely on "Team Orange" for some of the best speed controls out there. Sad to see them go.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:19 PM
EXT2Rob

OMG! That is truly an earthquake in the RC industry. That is really sad. I mean that's like Castle Creations announcing "we're outta here!" Only worse, cuz Novak kept manufacturing in California. They make damn good products. I foresee their value in the used market going up considerably. That is really a bummer to see such a quality manufacturer decide to leave the biz. I'm almost speechless.

But I guess ol' Bob had a good run with it, an the young'uns probably didn't want to continue the biz, so they decided to retire. Can't blame them if that's the case. (I'm just speculating and inferring from their statement) But jeez, you think he could have sold it to someone. Huh. The times, they are a changin'. Sad to see ya go, Bob, but thanks for all the contributions you made to the hobby. It is sincerely appreciated.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:54 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
... But jeez, you think he could have sold it to someone. Huh. The times, they are a changin'. ...
That's what I was thinking...somebody step in and develop further improvements; keep the name going possibly. I haven't used any of products since back in the day, and haven't followed newest products closely. I don't know people's true opinions, on Novak's quality, other than what's being said elsewhere.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:58 AM
EXT2Rob

I will attest to their motors. I've got an older Ballistic in my Hyper SC 4x4 that is just great. I had a question about it once, and I called Novak. The fellow I talked l talked with was very personable, and helpful, unlike people I've talked to at Castle. My next system was going to be a Novak. How many RC companies can you think of that offer spare parts for your motor?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:12 AM
collector1231

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
I will attest to their motors. I've got an older Ballistic in my Hyper SC 4x4 that is just great. I had a question about it once, and I called Novak. The fellow I talked l talked with was very personable, and helpful, unlike people I've talked to at Castle. My next system was going to be a Novak. How many RC companies can you think of that offer spare parts for your motor?
Not many at all, maybe just Tekin.

I also think the only reason Novak went out of business is because everyone nowadays buys cheap Chinese equipment. If we want brands like Orion, Trinity, and too late, but Novak to stick around, we have to quit buying cheap... yeah, I'm looking at you, RustyUS. There's a reason those cheap ESCs keep blowing up. :P
Old 06-15-2016, 10:17 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
Not many at all, maybe just Tekin.

I also think the only reason Novak went out of business is because everyone nowadays buys cheap Chinese equipment. If we want brands like Orion, Trinity, and too late, but Novak to stick around, we have to quit buying cheap... yeah, I'm looking at you, RustyUS. There's a reason those cheap ESCs keep blowing up. :P
Now that's funny.

If I tell you that I like to buy $100 servos for my RCs, does that make it better?

I'm trying to wean myself off the "cheap" stuff. I try to be a conservative consumer, but I had to be a ginny pig to test some of the crap that's out there. That's why I posted my thoughts and shortcomings...to perhaps let others know to buy something else with more "substance".

I hold myself to a higher standard now when looking for gear.

Novak powered RCs on the podium? Has there been a lot of drivers finishing well in races? Not seeing as much limelight as other companies recently.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:21 PM
bustedbalsa

Very sad to hear novak speed Controls made rc car racing what it was in its golden age
Innovative products and I was lucky to have a few. Made my rc10 what it was. As with everything ......everything changes. Not always better tho......wake up people buy American.
We are giving it all away.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:46 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Definitely sad to see one of the old guard companies go, especially since they kept so much in the US.

I was never really a fan of theirs when brushless started to take over. The ROAR rule book was basically written around their then current product line keeping sensorless (and Castle) out of racing for awhile. But Novak didn't do all that much with that advantage. Everyone else went with computer interfaces and program cards while they stuck with a few drive profiles, less gimmicky but not as desired with less adjustability. Do you want one esc that can run in anything with a few adjustments or a more limited or even application specific esc (like Novak's crawler esc) that can't (or at least makes you think you can't) swap to another vehicle type? Castle blew up and Tekin came back from the dead because of these features and the motors to go along with them. Just look at the Tekin RX8, MMpro or MMX. They can run anything, brushed, brushless in sensored, sensorless or a hybrid mode, with any adjustment you'd ever want and now datalogging on the MMX. Honestly even Hobbywing has had Novak beat for awhile now when comparing an esc's capabilities.

Then there was the supposedly 1/8 scale HV system with a rotor way closer to 380 size. I think the lowest kv on them was 3000kv and they went up to 5000kv. The HV's were popular motors for the 4x4 SCT 2s guys though. A few years back Novak did release a much better 1/8 system. The esc is pretty kv limited though due to its slow switching speed. The kv ranges are ok for racing but not so much for the bashers and definitely not the speed run guys. Plus it came way late in the game, Castle and Tekin had long since established themselves in the 1/8 market with Hobbywing and the other cheap stuff coming on strong too.

I honestly hadn't given much thought to Novak at all in years. The last time I saw them in a magazine (can't remember when) was an ad for their crawler esc and nothing else. The only time I've seen them mentioned in the forums is for their 550 motors in reference to the guys who have to run a ROAR legal motor on 2s for 4x4 SCT. But that was always with a non Novak esc (usually a Tekin RX8) and even that convo has moved away from Novak's 550's towards the 4 pole 540's. Now that I do think about it I'm not really surprised. Still sad though as they were once a market leader and it would've been nice to see them come up with something to truly compete with the other brands in the market.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:37 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

I've had many Novak products over the years, from matched batteries, battery boards, battery conditioners, micro receivers, mini servos, brushed motors, numerous speed controls, and brushless systems. All were excellent products. They will be missed.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Team R40

Wow, sucks to see them go.