Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Recommend a toy car with proportional steering?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Recommend a toy car with proportional steering?

Old 11-08-2016, 12:04 PM
willendure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend a toy car with proportional steering?

Hi,

My son is 5 and loves remote control cars. All of the toy ones we have had have been really badly made. In particular the steering is full lock left or right or in the middle (you are lucky if these things go straight), without a gradual proportional movement as you push the control stick left and right. Same with the speed. I guess this is something to do with the advent of digital because when I was a kid even the basic toy cars were analogue and proportional.

Then there is the build quality, these things usually break in a couple of days. Maybe the front wheels pop out of the chassis, maybe the gears shear off. All complete and utter made in China plastic crap.

Please, is there a toy class car, by which I mean not a serious hobbyist kit that costs $100s - but something aimed at younger kids, that has proportional controls that feel responsive to use, and where the build quality is a little more rugged? Your suggestions are gratefully received.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:43 PM
RustyUs

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If you want to spend that much on a toy grade with no hope for spare/replaceable parts, fine.

Hobby grade for just a few dollars more:
RTR --- http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...dID=ECX03028T2
Kit --- http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ECX03034
A nice feature for youngsters...The transmitter, included with the RCs above, has a Throttle Dual Rate knob for limiting power to the motor.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:57 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread subject again? Oh man...
Old 11-09-2016, 01:04 AM
willendure

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
If you want to spend that much on a toy grade with no hope for spare/replaceable parts, fine.

Hobby grade for just a few dollars more:
RTR --- http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...dID=ECX03028T2
Kit --- http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ECX03034
A nice feature for youngsters...The transmitter, included with the RCs above, has a Throttle Dual Rate knob for limiting power to the motor.
Looks good. What about the smaller scale models that ECX make, are they also good quality? The 1:24 desert buggy or even the little KickFlip 1:36 would be an appropriate choice. He's only 5.

Thanks for the recommendation, looks like they have a good range of quality cars.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:15 AM
RustyUs

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't keep up with a lot of mini platforms. I like to tell people to do their homework. Lots of video reviews out there to check out specific RC in question. My only piece of advice; if you don't want to keep purchasing disposable remote control cars...make sure you can buy spare parts. No parts, no purchase.

I'm not sure when I introduced my girls to full fledged 1/10th scale hobby grade RCs, but my slowest RC back then was set up for 30mph-ish...not good idea on my part; forgetting I had throttle limiting feature on my transmitter. The hand-eye coordination for my one daughter just wasn't there yet . Each kid is different.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:50 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by willendure View Post
Looks good. What about the smaller scale models that ECX make, are they also good quality? The 1:24 desert buggy or even the little KickFlip 1:36 would be an appropriate choice. He's only 5.

Thanks for the recommendation, looks like they have a good range of quality cars.

The small ecx's are good quality .hobby-grade vehicles. The small Losi's are good too but a bit more expensive.

The kick flip does not have proportional steering, it has ratchet steering.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:59 AM
willendure

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
The kick flip does not have proportional steering, it has ratchet steering.
I wish they would make details like that more explicit in the specs. Also its kind of hard to tell from a video as they just show you it whizzing around, always helpful if they could give a close up of its controls being operated.

I suppose the clue on the 1:24 scale models is that they say 'micro steering servo'. Does servo always mean proprtional?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:52 AM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by willendure View Post
I wish they would make details like that more explicit in the specs. Also its kind of hard to tell from a video as they just show you it whizzing around, always helpful if they could give a close up of its controls being operated.

I suppose the clue on the 1:24 scale models is that they say 'micro steering servo'. Does servo always mean proprtional?

I wouldn't go with 1/24 scale ,I would at least go with 1/18 scale an go with a good brand with good parts support like
Ae ,traxxas or losi!

They cost more ,but parts are much easier to get!..Tower hobbies is a good place to buy because the offer discounts &
sometimes they have specials ,also free shipping!...
Old 11-18-2016, 09:10 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time kids lose interest in micro RC's fairly quickly. They can only be run indoors, smooth surfaces. So at the least, you need a large open room where he could set up a track.

I have the WLtoys version of the ECX kickflip (wltoys version was cheaper) and while it does have proportional steering and throttle...it has a solid rear axle, no differential. So it spins out easy even though you have good steering function.

I bought a Eagle 3 off banggoods.com this past summer. It has a very realistic look to it, it is 4wd and proportional. I mention it with hesitation because mine arrived with a camber link not screwed in and the gear mesh too tight. Had to fix both before it could be used. Once that was done however, what a great model for $90! top speed is just under 20mph, but quick acceleration and good handling. 4wd and soft tires means it can drive over a lot of different types of ground. The shocks just have springs (no oil dampening) so it bounces around when you jump it, but kids don't care about that. What I can say is that after 30+ uses I have only had to tighten one screw and re-solder the battery plug. The battery lasts 12-15 minutes depending on what surface you drive it on. Between the scale looks, cost, features and durability it is a good deal for under $100.

If you can't go up to $90, then micro sized models are all the only options.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:26 AM
willendure

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner View Post
I bought a Eagle 3 off banggoods.com this past summer. It has a very realistic look to it, it is 4wd and proportional. I mention it with hesitation because mine arrived with a camber link not screwed in and the gear mesh too tight. Had to fix both before it could be used. Once that was done however, what a great model for $90! top speed is just under 20mph, but quick acceleration and good handling. 4wd and soft tires means it can drive over a lot of different types of ground. The shocks just have springs (no oil dampening) so it bounces around when you jump it, but kids don't care about that. What I can say is that after 30+ uses I have only had to tighten one screw and re-solder the battery plug. The battery lasts 12-15 minutes depending on what surface you drive it on. Between the scale looks, cost, features and durability it is a good deal for under $100.
Looks good, thanks for the recomendation.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:58 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at the Dromida cars too. The brushed-motor models can be had for $99, all included. I'm going to buy my neighbor's nephew one for Xmas and they're going to buy one for the other nephew. Just about every time they're visiting, they want to come over to watch me run my cars if they hear me. I've given them turns at the wheel, they have pretty good control, and don't do anything stupid like infinite doughnuts. They understand these are not toys. (Last couple years they've been given a crappy $25 toy RC from Big 5, and they SUCKED) So I decided this year, I wanted to give them a REAL one, and talked the neighbor into going in on it too. I even had an old charger sitting around that had a noisy fan in it. I took it apart, replaced the fan, and now it's totally silent! Gonna give them that to charge their batteries with in addition to the wall-wart chargers included with the cars.