Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

1st RC Car fir 12 year old

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:43 AM
pauldotcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st RC Car fir 12 year old

Hi
My son wants an RC car to rip around the backyard with his friends. He is 12 years old and very handy (has done some work on cars/etc)

Price is always an issue it seems, but more importantly because I'm not sure it's going to collect dust or get used.

I was looking at these two brands (models are not specific)

ECX (https://www.amazon.com/ECX-Electrix-...3BN6BMM7A8XHWV)

Redcat (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

Not sure of any other brands in my price range?? ($150-$175ish).

I've read a few things about Redcat that makes me NOT want to go with them. I havn't read much about ECX - your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Old 11-16-2016, 12:25 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI!
The AMP is a great truck for the price and can be upgraded down the road with a better motor , etc.... if he wants . All of the parts are readily available from Horizon Hobby.

Stay away from redcat. They are cheap for a reason !

Good luck !
Old 11-16-2016, 12:44 PM
DriveForFun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently picked up a Redcat Blackout 1/10 Truck for around $100 (used) and it is actually quite well built. My 4 year old has been driving the thing and it has yet to break anything, even after putting in a brushless ESC and 3500kv motor.

Also, another car that i'm really impressed with - I found a himoto zmoto z3 on ebay - they run in the $200+ range new, but scored mine "untested" for under $100. That thing has been bulletproof as well, and came brushless. Have not had any issues with gears, suspension, broken parts etc. That one I have put in a 5700kv motor and so far has handled it without issue (2s).

Both cars have been great values. When i compare to the problems i've had with my tamiya touring car, these supposedly cheap models pass the test.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:10 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The Amp would get my vote. This is solely on the performance/durability/resale value scale for an unsure youngster, and can be upgraded as one becomes comfortable with the RC. If you are any type of gambling person, I would put ECX and Traxxas RCs on the table before Redcat Racing's models .

If you think, or are certain of someone "sticking with" the hobby , then I would maybe look at a Traxxas Rustler, Traxxas Slash, or an Associated SC10. The lowest priced ($199-ish) Slash and SC10 RTRs both require battery and charger though. Just keep the battery and charger specs in mind when looking at Ready-To-Run RC vehicles.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-17-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:32 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Rusty on this. The ECX is built a lot better and the AMP is an easy-to-build kit that can teach your son the inner workings of an RC car. The Redcats, again, are cheap for a reason. They are also the same car as say, a Himoto.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:38 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by collector1231
I agree with Rusty on this. The ECX is built a lot better and the AMP is an easy-to-build kit that can teach your son the inner workings of an RC car. The Redcats, again, are cheap for a reason. They are also the same car as say, a Himoto.
I think that's a great idea! Model that collector speaks of ... 2WD AMP Monster Truck Kit

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-17-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:26 AM
pauldotcom

I think the Amp kit looks like a great idea, thanks for the input. I guess I was hesitant because the price is low and was unsure of the quality. But from what you guys have said and others I researched, I should stay away from the Redcat stuff..

I will be buying the AMP kit thanks again. One last question - does it come with battery charger? I will also need an extra battery and seeing that there are 7 million options could use advice on that also .
Paul
Old 11-17-2016, 10:57 AM
RustyUs

Yes, buying extra battery packs would be nice. If it were me, I'd buy at least two extra 1800mah packs instead of one extra 3300mah pack. Or, if your buget allows, more large capacity packs. That's just me. I'd rather have more battery packs with less capacity (shorter run times) than to have less batteries with more capacity (longer run times). It's a give and take thing. As a person grows with the hobby, and when the time comes... better chargers/batteries are out there to purchase, and to speed things up.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:16 AM
RustyUs

The Amp Build-To-Drive kit does come with a charger. It is of course a low amperage charger to keep the cost of the RC down. To fully charge the included 1800mah battery will take some time...hours, many hours (approximately 9 hours).
Old 11-17-2016, 11:28 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TRAXXAS cars and trucks are kit quality that are already built, have tons of spare parts and ton of hop up parts.... and have been around for ages.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:15 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know they are a bit more, but the ECX torment and ECX ruckus are both great trucks and are better IMO than the AMP. Both trucks handle great, drive just about anywhere, easy to work on, easy to upgrade. The torment is a truck I would let other kids at the park have a turn at driving without worrying about them breaking it.