Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Bandit xl-5 vs. Redcat Racing Tornado epx pro

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas Bandit xl-5 vs. Redcat Racing Tornado epx pro

Old 12-10-2016, 08:31 AM
CtrlAltDelete55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Bandit xl-5 vs. Redcat Racing Tornado epx pro

I am just wondering which one I should purchase with both being pretty much the same amount of money. I am aware that the Tornado is brushless and 4wd although the stock battery it comes with is no good. The bandit however, is brushed and is Rwd but has the traxxas support from a dealer near me. I am relatively new to the rc hobby so this is a hard choice for me. Any help with which one will perform better and be more fun for just driving around the dirt trails and streets in my neighborhood? Also which one will require less maintenance and be able to take a greater bashing. Thanks
Old 12-10-2016, 02:24 PM
RustyUs

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Mainly running on smooth off-road type surfaces...Bandit hands down. I love bashing 2wd buggies. There is something about the simplicity of them; throwing rooster-tails in the dirt, and grabbing some air. I'm fortunate enough to have my own off-road track to run on. If I didn't have the track, I'd be limited to driveway, baseball fields, parks, and what not. If running on rougher terrain, then I'd start looking at stadium/short course trucks. I wouldn't recommend Redcat Racing as a first RC. I'd rather see someone spend a bit more and have good parts support.

I'm sure there are happy Redcat owners out there. I was to the point of considering a Redcat monster truck. Every time I had almost pushed the Buy It Now button, I came into a better deal from my eBay bidding. I got a small collection of RCs, but I still cant bring myself to go out and purchase a Redcat. I was brought up with building kits. Buying a RTR is my biggest problem to overcome, because I don't need the electronics that come with them.

Either way, I believe you will be enjoying some RCing soon. Hobby grade RC platforms means you can repair what breaks. That's a good thing.

Get out there and throw some dirt!

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-10-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:19 PM
RustyUs

Oh, and another big problem I have with Redcat RCs...manuals, or lack of good material in them. Most of the time I see exploded parts views, which is okay, but that's about it.

Ask this guy his thoughts...post #6 in other thread.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:59 PM
RustyUs

I just checked out Redcat's website. I see they have been revamping it. The site looks better, but still doesn't help out with the manuals being ...not so good . Sorry, manuals are one of my peeves. Maybe I've been around too long, and look at things inside out. I believe you can learn a lot from a company by the way they document their RC to the user.

I'm done now.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:23 PM
CtrlAltDelete55

Thanks a lot! I was thinking that the Rwd would most likely be more fun for just skidding around. How tough is the titan 12t motor? And will it need replacing fairly soon?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:51 AM
RustyUs

Titan motors are fine. How long they last will be up to the user, and conditions the motor is put through. Brushed motors like the fixed endbell Titan...chuck them when performance is not stellar. I've used the same brushed motor, back in the day, for years. These were the replaceable brushed type, and they are getting harder to find.

I did pick up one of these just because I have a bag of brushes laying in my pit box: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-9...3D232165146130
Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive owned a few of both buggies
It would be hard for me to chose which I like better
While the redcat is 4wd, the ground clearance on the bandit can be set up higher
The bandit is for sure tougher, but there are some no-cost mods and some cheap upgrades that can make the redcat nearly as tough.
You will get better runtime on the traxxas, unless you upgrade to a 2s lipo on the redcat. With brushless, lipo battery is best.
Out of the box, the redcat will be faster, with a 2s lipo, much faster

All that said, another option is to get the traxxas, enjoy it for a while and then get a cheap(er) hobbywing brushless system (under $100) to upgrade the traxxas. You can get back $25 or so selling the original speed control. Might even be able to find a decent used brushless system for $50 or so.

I like the redcat tornado as it is a lot of performance for the money. But traxxas is on top for good reason, good RTR package, good tough chassis and tons of aftermarket support.

One thing you may choose to consider is that traxxas will have a higher re-sell value should you want to sell it and upgrade to a different model later on.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:16 PM
CtrlAltDelete55

Is there any specific esc and brushless motor under 100$ you would recommend?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:17 PM
RustyUs

HobbyWing and Castle is my default answers.

I would start looking at the HobbyWing EZRun Max10 combos. Somewhere around the 4000Kv mark?
And then you have Castle Creations Sidewinder SV3 combos to possibly browse at. I have to put this out there...I know running Castle's old 5700Kv motor is just too much for off-road anything IMO. I couldn't imagine the new 5700Kv motor in a lightweight buggy...stupid fun . I don't regret buying that motor. It just requires lots of traction and space to be able to use all the power.

What are you looking to do? Just want more speed? Still the same terrain options as in first post?

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-03-2017 at 05:57 PM.