Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is everything going electric now?

Old 01-02-2017, 02:16 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is everything going electric now?

I kind of got out of nitro and made the move to gas 5th scale. Just recently I decided to start looking into nitro again and it seems to be a dieing breed. Team Associated only has 2 nitro vehicles, just 2. Traxxas has like 48 models and only 9 are nitro. HPI has a higher ratio of electric to nitro and it seems to be the trend everywhere I look. So what gives? Is nitro dieing out?
Old 01-02-2017, 04:38 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electric motors and batteries have improved to the point where those vehicles are as good as or out perform a nitro vehicle.
Many nitro owners have moved over to electric because there is less maintenance involved.
Some people don't mind the maintenance and like the sound, sights and smell of nitro vehicles.

A lot of the smaller companies that made nitro engines are going or gone but there are still the old regulars like the T-Maxx, Rustler, Jato, Revo, Savage, etc...around.

It boils down to what one wants ........or no longer wants.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:55 AM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi guys yes seems they like the plug and play rc buggies , truggies and monster trucks , all you need is good esc ,batteries and charger , which is priced higher than nitro , nitro has to be tuned which some people having trouble doing ( they need to read the gas and nitro engine forum for tuning ) some have a combination of both electric and nitro of same manufacture example a losi 3.0 nitro buggy and losi 3.0e buggy also seems it wiil have a lot of interchangeable parts , the best of both worlds , or you can go nitro and convert it to electric on some manufacture kits and switch back and forth nitro to electric , than back to nitro again , i see a lot with the 1/8 scale which is very popular for racing , bashing , which hold ups best for your money and having fun some said if your not steering your not having any fun!!! ok mugey
Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM
quietnas1

Wow. I love gas and nitro. I'm a little afraid of electric. I have been looking at the batteries and these lipo batteries look a little dangerous. I have read a few threads with these batteries going up in flames!!! With that being said, it does seem that you can achieve some outrageous speeds with electric. I don't know, I do love the sound, smell, and wrenching with gas and nitro. I also love just dropping in more fuel and keeping it moving instead of having to carry several batteries or wait for charging. To each their own I guess. Love my fuelies but I will never rag on electric, they are pretty bad arse as well.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:19 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi quitnas yes the lipo batteries are still dangerous the thin cells short out in battery packs electric is faster but a shorter run time, nitro still pretty popular
with sound and smell and longer run time refueling IT on the fly too , the novarossi , werks , picco nitro motors of( itialian design )will be around a long time
and maintaining the r/c vehicles the competition racers purchase kyosho mp9 tki3 ,4 mugen seiki mbx 7s team losi 3.0 , 4.0 tekno eb48 nb 48 agamma , hot bodies , xray and a few other manufactures , electric buggy and truggy is good for racing at indoor tracks , because nitro fumes are not allowed . the manufactures you had mentioned are competing for your dollars and are for back yard bashing as you see in marketing videos , and not for competition in offroad racing in europe america and asia ok mugey
Old 01-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Phil 111

Look what's happening in the real world. Tesla is the fastest thing on earth. Only cars costing 10 times as much will beat it. No maintenence like oil changes, transmission repairs, etc. I love nitro. Just starting the engine is half the fun. The mess and breaks I could do without.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 AM
The Saylors

I know it's been said but it's definitely all about maintenance and also about starting. Anyone who has ever had a nitro that was a pig to start up knows how frustrating it is. Electric stuff either works or it doesn't, push a button and go or buy a part to fix it and then go. People tend to lean towards simplicity and ease of use. On the battery danger, keep in mind that fires are sort of rare, you are seeing the worst of the worst when you look up lipo battery fails on you tube because people only post the fireballs which are the far end of the spectrum. I have seen more esc's go up in smoke than batteries and most of the batteries all gave some warning that was ignored by the operator. Fire seems scary but as long as it doesn't happen inside your home it will only hurt the vehicle that it's in which can also be avoided by some fast hands. My cousin's slash went up and smoke and i had that battery out of it in less than 2 seconds (luckily he happened to be running without a body), chassis barely scorched, esc and battery were done for though. Be smart, charge them in a lipo safe, and pay attention! if you do those things you will prolly never have an issue.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Pilot_Guy

Yes and it sucks.

Seems airplanes and obviously helis are going electric as well.

I started in RC back in the 80's when all you could get for the most part were balsa and ply airplane kits that took significant skill to even build. Helicopters back then cost thousands and had wicked nitro engines. RC back then took tons of skill and craftsmanship and when you successfully landed a plane you spent three monthst building....then you could call yourself an RC pilot.

Now it seems there are more RTR planes, helis and cars than I care to admit....finding actual kits is skimpy and electric is dominating. Not really fond the way RC is going.....it takes the skill out of RC.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:57 PM
john01374

Yes. Electric is taking over. I'm a solid supporter of electric and have been for many years. Before anyone jumps to conclusions. I was a Nitro guy for many many years before I saw what was happening in the world of RC. Battery technology has taken off and brushless motors delivery more power than most chassis's can handle. If you have 3 LiPo packs you can run all day as they can be charged as fast as they discharge and you can get 20-25 mins of run time out of some of todays packs.

People have realized that the cost of Nitro is simply too high for all but the very well off if you want to run a few times per week. The ease of electric in both use and clean up are much simpler and you don't have the noise to deal with. I live in suburbia just north of Chicago and firing up a nitro car around here wouldn't be tolerated for more than a few seconds. I've seen the cops called a number of times on neighbors that tired to run Nitro in the neighborhood. Unfortunately it has run one guy completely out of the hobby and prevented the others from running their stuff. Sad really but I get it.

As for safety. LiPo packs are no more dangerous than the old NiMh or god forbid NiCd batteries and certainly safer than having gallons of Nitro fuel sitting around. In the 30+ years that I've been in this hobby I have personally had 2 NiCd packs explode and one NiMh pack. I switched to Lipo's about 10 years ago and have not has a single issue. Yes I have had a couple puncture and one that got smashed on a bad landing and while there was a tense moment and a bunch of smoke that was all that happened. A bunch of smoke and no fire. Can it happen? Of course it can. You just need to be careful and pay attention to what you are doing while charging and discharging.

Long story short is that Nitro is a dying breed in the hobby. In some areas it's already on life support.

Last edited by john01374; 02-26-2017 at 08:08 PM.