Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Steering for buggy HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:39 AM
Dvavid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Steering for buggy HELP

Hey guys
im in need of some help due to that i don't have much experience of what is needed for it, i am in the process of making a buggy that will be pretty big and have a 125cc motor from a quad. the ideas i have had where to use a window wiper motor for the steering but i am unsure on what i will need to do this, what components what will i need to run and control the servo, how will i be able to steer it what power sources will i need and is there anything else that i would need to do it
thanks Dvavid
Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think a windshield wiper motor would have enough torque to steer a large vehicle. Although it would be funny to see the vehicle going back and forth, back and forth........

Crikey, if yer using a 125cc quad motor, why do you need a steering servo? Just get in it and drive it!
Old 08-07-2017, 12:14 PM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on a wiper motor not having the necessary torque (if you can stop it with one hand its not strong enough for that application). You would have to sink some pretty significant money into a massive servo or a pair of pretty large servos to make it work. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for something that size! I just had a thought, you may be able to rig up a window motor with different gearing since it should come with a simple switch (up and down = left and right). You would have to speed it up with gearing to make it responsive enough to use. I would look up torque and speed specs on a couple different window motors to see what will work best.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:06 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree 110%...

those wiper motors have some serious balls. Id love to see someone stop 5n.m by hand (thats like 700 ounce inch)

but yeah anyway... its one of the most common ways of making giant servos. and this method is used for making real cars r/c for movie stunts.

its as common as butter on bread....and thats where the problem is... the project u are wanting to do requires a lot of skill , knowledge and research.

and i dont know how to say this but here goes anyway? there is a crazy amount of information online about converting wiper motors to giant servos.
finding that information should be very easy, but if u are struggling on step 1... id possible think about holding of you project untill u are older with more skills, knowledge and research skills