Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Server Power Supply HP DPS-750RB

Old 09-22-2017, 03:55 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm not going to get into that one, but floating one of the boards in the supply is needed. RC Groups is where you wanna go for advice on this.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:10 AM
RustyUs

Default All Dressed Up

Updated first post with pictures of carbon fiber-ish vinyl wrap finishing touches done. I used little rubber "feet" on the underside of power supply. I knew I had some; packed away in a box, and were extras from guitar FX floor processor.

I was gonna take off the red-tipped-spring-locking tab (on the back of the unit), but after taking off the cover, I saw it would need the removal of the whole shebang. Not worth the effort to me.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:54 AM
Galvo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RustyUs really nice thread and job. Found this thread on the net and this is my first post. I just picked up two of these to build myself a charger for my ebike battery as well as upping the power on my lipo charger. I may try and join the two together for 24v if I find myself a boost of confidence but more reading is needed. I love the 3d printed end piece and was wondering if it was possible to get you to print me a couple for a few bucks? Im in Australia and None of my mates have printers.
No hastle if your not interested.

Steve
Old 12-20-2017, 03:57 PM
RustyUs

I hear ya on the boost of confidence bit. It's really not that hard to float one of the units, but I don't need that much voltage at the moment, so I'll let it go at that.

I just start reading/researching ideas for a 3D printer purchase. Everytime I narrow a couple down, I get sidetracked, so I'm not quite there yet. In post #13 is the link for 3D printed cover. Here it is again ... https://www.rlpower.net/products/cover
Old 12-27-2017, 07:59 AM
Chrisrox36

Default Power supply flashing light when running

good morning,

l am total noob in this forum (first post). I have this exact power supply and soldered jumpers 33 and 36 as you showed. My soldering skills are beginner and I believe solder got on the tabs between 33 and 36. Could this be the reason the supply is not working properly and the light on the back keeps flashing. I don’t believe the fan spins up either. If so, is there a way to remove the solder and stop from contacting each other. Please let me know if there is anything I am missing and what I should do to get it going. Special wire, solder, etc? Your original post and build are fantastic. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:16 PM
RustyUs

Default Too Much Solder?

Originally Posted by Chrisrox36
good morning,

l am total noob in this forum (first post). I have this exact power supply and soldered jumpers 33 and 36 as you showed. My soldering skills are beginner and I believe solder got on the tabs between 33 and 36. Could this be the reason the supply is not working properly and the light on the back keeps flashing. I don’t believe the fan spins up either. If so, is there a way to remove the solder and stop from contacting each other. Please let me know if there is anything I am missing and what I should do to get it going. Special wire, solder, etc? Your original post and build are fantastic. Thank you.
Post #24

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Yes, Androdz, you may have went a little overboard on the solder. If I ever think I have a short between the +/- on circuit boards, I use the back side of my X-acto blade to gently scrape a gap in the solder.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Flying Tiger RC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Galvo
RustyUs really nice thread and job. Found this thread on the net and this is my first post. I just picked up two of these to build myself a charger for my ebike battery as well as upping the power on my lipo charger. I may try and join the two together for 24v if I find myself a boost of confidence but more reading is needed. I love the 3d printed end piece and was wondering if it was possible to get you to print me a couple for a few bucks? Im in Australia and None of my mates have printers.
No hastle if your not interested.

Steve
Rusty, I am with Steve on the congrats for your build.... I just joined the forum this evening and I too would really like to have covers for my build of these supplies...Although shipping MIGHT be a little less expensive to ALABAMA! Please ;let us know if you are in the mod to make a few more!!
Cheers!
Old 03-04-2018, 04:59 AM
RustyUs

Default Come out, come out, wherever you are!

Thanks for the kind words. One of the easiest things I'v done in the hobby was convert the power supply. I can't take credit for 3D printed cover. The cover is listed/linked in original post and in post #13. Now comes the funny, or not so funny...guy in the link has no covers listed for sale any more. My thoughts...SMC has agreed to sell his/their power supplies and doesn't want people to make their own with a niffty little cover? The profit margin, for selling the cover alone, is not great? I don't exactly know the answer. I do know, I would give a shout out to RL Power Supplies...HERE, and ask nicely to have a cover made.

I got my cover on eBay, and RL/hbdude2k has put price up to $9.99+shipping for the HP cover. Out of stock/not listed no more .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.JPG
Views:	1772
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	2256798  

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-04-2018 at 05:05 AM. Reason: corrected spelling; added link(s) and/or info
Old 03-11-2018, 06:20 AM
Flying Tiger RC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=RustyUs;12392040]I hear ya on the boost of confidence bit. It's really not that hard to float one of the units, but I don't need that much voltage at the moment, so I'll let it go at that.

I just start reading/researching ideas for a 3D printer purchase. Everytime I narrow a couple down, I get sidetracked, so I'm not quite there yet. In post #13 is the link for 3D printed cover.

Rusty!
So if you ever DO BUY a 3D printer, let me know and I can send you a file I have been working on. It's an .STL file of a variation of the front cover in your build.
The following users liked this post:
RustyUs (05-30-2021)
Old 03-11-2018, 03:05 PM
RustyUs

Thanks. I surely will be interested in the file...once I acquire the printer. Things aren't going the way I planned. Home ownership involves upkeep, blah, blah, blah.

One thing I found interesting, from another seller who mods server power supplies, is the soldering job on the #33,34, 35,36.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160225_164503_20160225165357472.jpg
Views:	3184
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2258843 I'm not going to attempt to do the same. But apparently the power supply works with tabs connected .
Old 01-10-2019, 03:29 PM
blackice14348

Default Anyone know how to wire in a USB port?

Hey guys! So I've successfully made my own PSU the same way here using the same HP PSU, and I've been trying to add a USB port with no luck. I tried using my multimeter to poke and prod the small tabs to find a pair that might output 5v. I managed to find a pair on the bottom (1st and 3rd tab) that output exactly 5v, but when I hook up a female USB port it will not charge my small power bank. The charging light comes on really dim for a few seconds and then goes out. I'm guessing the tabs I chose do not output enough amps. Does anyone have one of the RL Power units they could pop the front cover off and see how they do it? I'm trying to avoid buying one myself if I can.

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 12-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Ccrcr

Default Problem

I have a hp pl18 power supply looks like the ones your working on here. I soldered the jumper but I am getting no power. Any ideas? It was suggested to hook up the charger and then try to power on so there was a load but no change. Help! Would also like to know how to hook up USB port.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:10 AM
RustyUs

That is the same server power supply. Same generic part number anyway. The only thing I can say is that you possibly got a DOA unit. I'd start with multimeter testing cord, and input connections of the power supply.

I never looked into the USB output, and I'm sure it's just an easy solder job. I just don't know which pins.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:53 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Ccrcr
...Would also like to know how to hook up USB port.
I spent too much time on searching that subject the past couple of nights, and came up with nothing. All I know is this...

Old 01-11-2020, 04:19 PM
elbrujo58

[QUOTE=Flying Tiger RC;12412336]
Originally Posted by RustyUs
I hear ya on the boost of confidence bit. It's really not that hard to float one of the units, but I don't need that much voltage at the moment, so I'll let it go at that.

I just start reading/researching ideas for a 3D printer purchase. Everytime I narrow a couple down, I get sidetracked, so I'm not quite there yet. In post #13 is the link for 3D printed cover.

Rusty!
So if you ever DO BUY a 3D printer, let me know and I can send you a file I have been working on. It's an .STL file of a variation of the front cover in your build.
i would be interested in the file for the power supply end cover. i do not have a printer but know somebody that has several and I am hoping to convince him to print one for me. Thank you
Old 05-01-2020, 08:08 PM
scotty dont

Default 3D Printed Cover

Hey guys. Not sure if this thread is still active, but I can not find a good 3d printed cover for the power supply anywhere. I reached out to RL and they were very quick to respond that they do not and will not sell this cover so no luck there. Just seeing if anyone knows where I can buy one, or if anyone has a good 3d file where I can send to someone to print.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2020, 05:35 AM
RustyUs

They (RL), I assume, figured out that people were doing the easiest server power supply mod themselves. They stopped selling the cover and got greedy IMO.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:17 PM
RustyUs

https://tp3ddesigns.com/product/tp3d...-supply-cover/

Old 01-19-2021, 07:35 PM
eksine21

never mind - deleted. usb requires 5v, so I know of no other way other than wiring an entire car USB charger to the 12v on the power supply

Last edited by eksine21; 01-19-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:08 AM
MortezaF

I am tring to use HP PSU R-41041513 PD41 . Does any body has pinout.out how to wire it.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:17 AM
RustyUs

Four years later....I'm painfully slow at moving things around in Matter Control. Took me hours to cut; paste, and juggle shapes into something that works like a cover for these power supplies..

I'm not fond of the green. Just using it for low quality/resolution prototyping stuff, and knickknacks.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-30-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:00 PM
RustyUs

Final revision

If anybody wants one free (plus shipping, and material cost)...PM me.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-31-2021 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:55 PM
smanders

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great thread! Anyone mind sharing a 3D print file for these covers? I just picked up two DPS-750RBs.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:47 AM
rhysfaulknerhere

Do you suggest any of the upgrades or stuff I should buy to add on that a first timer would be able to do with no problem?
Old 09-27-2021, 08:53 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by rhysfaulknerhere
Do you suggest any of the upgrades or stuff I should buy to add on that a first timer would be able to do with no problem?
If you got any soldering skills... you're good to go!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.