Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

sensored v. nonsensored

Old 03-16-2018, 11:41 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sensored v. nonsensored

I am just now getting my feet wet as far as RC cars are concerned. Been building and flying RC planes for a long time. but new to cars/trucks/buggies. My question today is to try to figure out what the difference between a sensored and nonsensored motor is. What does the sensored setups do that the nonsensored ones will not do?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:41 PM
vinmansbrew

Not much these days. Sensored motors are smoother on power delivery, especially at low speeds.Nowadays, it isn't a big deal.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:49 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sensored motors have an actual sensor on the motor, and a multi-wire cable to the ESC that the ESC uses to determine rotor position, where a sensorless system uses an algorithm to "get the motor spinning" enough to determine the rotor position using the back-voltage the ESC reads, then it switches to "run mode". How well the maker's algorithm does this will determine how smooth that start up is. Castle motor systems have a great start up routine. Very smooth, even at low speed. Other makers, maybe not so much. Racers usually use sensored systems because of smoother power delivery in the slower parts of the track. Some folks just like "the feel" of sensored systems over sensorless. Sensorless systems are usually cheaper than comparable sensored systems. Less parts, lower cost.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:23 PM
vinmansbrew

I know in the beginning days of brushless, cogging was a big issue for sensorless. Hence, sensored motors. It shouldn't be much of an issue today, but then I suppose if the motor is super cheap, maybe.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:45 PM
RustyUs

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Brushless Motors: Sensored vs. Sensorless - RC TRUCK STOP
Brushless Motor Tech: Everything You Need to Know - RC Car Action
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/brushless
Old 03-23-2018, 05:39 PM
phmaximus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sensorless motors have a dead spot just of neutral and have a minimum rpm they can run at with out stalling/cogging. sensored don't.

IMO sensorless setups have heaps more power and control down low, the power curve feels more proportional to the throttle and u can do super slow speeds, they are great for scalers, crawlers and track cars